Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: Galactic Empires (MP Sci-fi Scenario)

Post by Mabuse »

KingdomAmericaCMG wrote: i want to make sure my fundamentals are correct before spending too much time on a map that wouldnt be played.
well, i suggest to cancel the idea with the moving planets for now, since i dont want to spend too much time on it atm.

other thingshave priority, making some new techs, probably fixing old ones, nakinf new units, and new "standard maps"

i offer my help supporting you in making a "normal" working map, probably featuring/using some new things, new units, new techs, new terrain -

so i suggest to forget about the idea with the rotating planets for now, and instead design something "more conservative", as said special wishes (what about mortars that shoot across several hexes - examples can be found in bobs mech thinys) are welcome as long they are not extremely exxagarated (or better said, as long they are anyway up to be implemented somehow :lol2: )- since i cant estmate the wholethingy without spending some time on it (and i already want to spend sometime, on new techs, tech balance, new maps, units, terrains etc).

as said as soon i have tested that and think its ok, i will tell you, but first design your map without that option. other maps may use it then
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

How about some kind of missile unit? I could be launched from a ship with needed gadget.

Stats:

Hitpoints: 1-3
Experience="Insert huge number here"
Movement=6-8

Melee (because the missile hits you, not its projectiles): 15-1 (attack only) (100 % chance to hit) (self-destruct) explosive/antimatter
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

well, after i thought "less is more" (relating to canges about implemented in the game) i just did some changes to the basic tech tree:

1.)
"labs" available at NANO 1 (and there wil be maybe also a cost rediution, need to calculate things) - to make early "NANO-research" be an option.

2.) Teleport cost 15 gold
so after getting gene 3 and nano 3 you can finally get teleport without worrying TOO much about gold costs

3.) Foodplant avavilable at GENE 2 and cost 15 gold
make early GENE development more interesting

4.) Foodprocessor available at GENE 1
make early GENE development more interesting

To do:

- do something about the attack Thrusters, in essence : test them and find out whats wrong with them, from firstglance they look ok codewise. since i never used them in game i cant confirm wether they work or not. if i cant do anything about them i just delete them

- onboard lab entry may get removed, i also couldnt find them, i guess its just an unimplemented feature (which is exxagarated anyway, so no onboard labs)

- warp dirve entry needs also to be checked, i couldnt find that thing doing anything, and probably removed.

- think about a replacement for attack thruster

- mabe make advanced rifles for BALL 2

-think about some HQ upgrades, concerning HQ HP bonus, resistance bonus
Last edited by Mabuse on September 30th, 2008, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

the changes are NOT up yet, btw

to do part 2

- think about "terraforming-system" and how to implement it
KingdomAmericaCMG

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

yes warp drive was a feature that wasnt implimented. same with onboard labs. k since that orbiting planets is out i have a map im working on that wont need it anyways, just an idea i put out.

warp drive i think needs to be added.
here is a few ideas of what it could be.
1. teleport anywhere in space (looses its turn doing so)
2. abiltiy to teleport between spaceports (kinda like teleport for ground units) though this could be changed to warp gate for planet upgrade so you dont have to add to the units themselves.
3. abilty to travel into hyperspace (a map with hyperspace tiles)

Im in favor of the teleport anywhere if the cost is really high (so not many units can have it) or adding jump gates between spaceports. space in general makes the game go long because of travel.

just make sure you have it so it stores the individual information of the unit thats teleporting, ships shouldnt full heal teleporting like the ground units.

mabuse wrote
to do part 2

- think about "terraforming-system" and how to implement it
why not add a new science tree, i have founded that i can get all science trees filled by 20ish turn even on the 1v1 map.

terraforming system, all it does is allow the use of new terrains. no need to change the map itself though think ANL for that if you want that (would be too unbalanced as i would want a planet with all mountains or hills)

T1
Ford=1food 1gold
swamp=1food 1gold
Oasis=1food
T2
shallow water=1gold (or 2gold)
cave=2gold (normaly cave is 1gold)
Resilent planet+N1 +50% hp to planet (+40 hp for small worlds +50 for larger)
Grand Cities=villages give 1 gold (this is besides the default 2/turn for just owning it)
T3
Lava suits+G3 (gives units ability to walk over chasm)
lava chasm=1gold
Deep Water=1gold (or 2gold)
Desert=1gold
Ice/snow=1gold

note: remember that with nanomines any square that has at least 1 gold will give an extra 1gold. and a worker must be on the tile of question to get the bonus.
as the game progresses usually by the time you finish all technologies the focus is more on gold then it is food. though you may change water to food because if fishing as the resorce rather then the minerals themselves.

i hope this gives some ideas
LonKaer

Post by LonKaer »

Hi

My first wesnoth forum post

Thanks to all devoping the GE addon...good stuff (bob, mabuse, and any others).

I tried to attach a save game file in which all of everyones' units were destroyed together, but it was too large (over 5 MB). CMG thought it had something to do with the transportation of a soldier. Just reporting a bug i guess...if anyone wants the save file, lemme know in this thread.

As i post this, i am playing a reload of the same game.

Cheers
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

LonKaer wrote: Thanks to all devoping the GE addon...good stuff (bob, mabuse, and any others).
hi LonKaer, nice to read you.

To clarify: Galactic Empires is completely Bobs Work. i have basically nothing to do with it.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, new Version will be upped now:

Version

basically just some tweaks here and there, in order to allow new approaches.

List of changes:
---------------

- Labs at Nano 1 and cost 14 Gold

- Teleport cost 15 Gold

- Foodplant at Gene 2 and cost 15 Gold

- Foodprocessor at Gene 1 and cost 4 Gold

- Mineralprocessor at Nano 1 and cost 4 Gold

- Gaiacology at Nano2, Gene 2 and give 12 HP per Round

- Onboard Labs at Nano 2 (onboard labs make Scientists be ableto reasearch if n a Transport, its an Automatic Feature, no buys needed)

- all Techs that are not working correctly or do not exist are deleted from the Science List (Attack Thrusters, Warp Drive)

- attackthruster commented out

- new HQ Tech at NANO 1, NANOREPAIR, cost 10 Gold, will heal HQ up to 8 HP per Turn
(gives HQ the NANOREPAIR ability)

- added standard maps (original Maps) variation called ADV (=advanced), which feature the lvl2 Ships (so ADV means always that lvl2 SHips are available on that Map) - also StarAssault has ADV in the Name to maintain consistency

-self-repair gadget cost 8 gold

- Oasis give 3 Food

- River Ford give 1 Food, 1 Gold

i abadoned the Idea of "CLONING" technology, to "buy" soldiers, since that only makes the ceratin HQ/Panet way moreeasier to defnd, since you can simply buy the desired amount of soldiers, in case of an attack, same goes for all HQ upgrades

also more soldier techs dont seem to be neeed for me

making he HQ gains attacks also got abadoned, i think the "autoheal"-ability is ok and enough, giving it weapons makes it a standalone unit, which isnt desired. heal 8 is already pretty mighty

im also not sure about the terraforming tech atm, it woudl have been anyway just about 1 Food for Desert, Snow, moon, shallow water - which is anyway more or less useless, after getting it

so i decided to make another approach and give

Oasis: 3 Food
River Ford: 1 Food, 1 Gold

in general. So no Terraforming, instead, desert PLanets may have some Oasis Tiles for Food, and Ice Planets can get a bit more resources out of the River Fords.

Ice Plantes may already Feature Woods and Hills, while desert Planets may Feature Mountains and Hills also.

so they have some Use that fits.
Its just that they are not as useable as a fruitful green plante in terms of wood, and not as mineral-high as a red plents, though nobody should underestimate the desert-mountains, and along with Oasis that give 3 Food for a tile, Desert planets may provide most outcome for lowest worker account.

not to mention that additional planetes (= new HQ) are a requirement if you want to install a LAB, Food- or MineralProcessor for example ;)

will be soon up
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Mabuse wrote: -self-repair gadget cost 8 gold
hehe, ok after thinking a bit about it, and before uploaded i decided to not touch self-repair,and set it to 10, as it was before.

else armor-gadget maylose usefulness, and 2 goldmore or less wont make self-repair more or less useful

10 gold is ok for self repiar, finally it also active if no fighting take place at all.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, since there areno new Units, UNitchanges or new Terrains, the version is compatible with Version 0.5.1

so only Host needs it
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

last minute changes before upload:

- SHIELDS for Planets also active on Offense (not longer restricted to defense)

- Onboard Labs at Nano 1
(since it is logical,and also makes no sense at Nano 2 anyway)

and i guess i will also add some fancy explosions to the ships death sequences
(and maybe change some sounds ;))

that may take a slight while,

btw One comment to early NANO Strategy:
------------------------------------------

a common start it is to get one or more scientists in the first Rounds, and then develop empire, this strategy ensures high military technology early enough, and later also other techs come in quickly.

this is kinda a superior strategy/approach, for a normal sized map, with 100 starting gold (that allows to get some militray early on)

of course there may be some twaeks here and there, but it just makes no sense to get no scientists early, since you just need somemilitary technology and you also want to get nanomines after that pretty early, so ye eralier you get the military tevchs, ye earlier you can start developing economy

at this point NANO start kicks in:
this approach wont train scientists at start, instead it goes FULLeconomy (the theory is for every scientist you get, i put one worker on gold). make sure you produce (at least in the first rounds ;)) every round a worker and put all workers you can afford to maintain that on gold. put your scientific research on NANO.

in round6 you will have nano 10 and be able to build labs, until then try to get some planets, i would suggest you try to get at least 2 more beside your Homeplanet. ideally of course 3.
then build 3 to 4 Labs. after that reseach war/balistics until you reach your desired military level.

since labs costs gold you will not only be behind in military tech early on, youwill also have most likely less gold than your "standard approach" opponent. however, in theory for every scientist he build, you have one worker on a mountain or hill - also once you have NANO 1 you may also get Mineral Processors to compensate lab costs, which will also start making plus after 4 rounds.

over time, you will get higher income, if he has 3 additional sientists you have 3 workers on hills, giving him a disadvantage of -6gold (relative to you) per round, if he got 3 scientists you will be on par with his gold (good economic management provided) on turn 13 - since 4 labs cost 56 Gold. also on turn 13 you wil have lvl 2 war and ballistic researched, 4 rounds later you will have nanomines - and all that with build workers only !

(as a tweak get ONE scientist, and build only 3 labs)

the disadvanatge is that you will be pretty weak (relative to him, since he will have more gold and higher military tech) and vulnerable until round 13, and you really must manage your economy good. however, its up to him to use his military advantage and for that he most likely also needs a forward dock and stuff

as said, i wanted to show an alternative approach to science-start, which is not superior all the way, but offers possibilities, as said, it has also huge disadvantages and also relies kina onthe fact that you grab some planets until round 6, but will pay off later in the game - if you survive that long !

anyway, i will now add the explosion and think it all over - and then i may upload the new version and test that nano-start -

-------------------

btw, if someone of you plans to make a map, (or made a map already), feel free to post it here, and it may get included in the pack - if desired i will make it be played with lvl2 ships and also bring it "up to date" (terrian codes for workers etc)

also, if you need help with a map, feel free to post here what you got so far.
KingdomAmericaCMG

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

i got the map done

attached is the list of coordinates for all player HQ, Names, and text.

feel free to add anything to the map you want, like change space so it sparkles.

if you need more specific help on listing coordinates for anything just le me know

ok map wont load, says The extension is not allowed.

edit: file too big, maximum allowed size is 50 KB

my email is Kingdomamerica@yahoo.com email me and ill email it back to you.

or we can meet ingame and just save my map.
Attachments
CMG Systems.txt
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

umm, what about zipping that Map;) (winzip ;))

but i will be on now anyway.
new version is up also.

as a very last change defence laser/missile base for planets got +1 damage (for 7-3 / 11-2)

some sounds changed and now the ships have a death sequence, it could be better timed though, and on fast speed you see not much anyway
Last edited by Mabuse on October 2nd, 2008, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, nice work with the coordinates, still i need info about artifacts and aliens (which and where) (but i can also make it on myown :D)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, cmg, i have your map and after placing the firts planets on the map --- btw, pls place VILLAGES instead of "Nothing" on the editor-map hwere PLANETES should be, thats good to get a graspn of how the map would look like ...

... however, after placing the first Planetes on the map, i recognized that you might think ovre the concept of the map. the planetes for eeach solar system are way to near together,

so you basically have 6 big clumps of planetes, between them is nothing (ok in oyur version there was 1 planet between) and then here are a few alien plantes (aslo bunched together) in the middle.

i would like if you spread the plantes a bit more, it not needed that 6 plantes are within 3-6 tiles of the starting planet, 2 would also do it, then 2 a bit more away, and some ice darfs or desert plentes scattered in void between the solar systems -

i coudl make that change, or even yo - but :

pls put villages on the eidtor map, instead of villages, yo may use water villages for icedawrfs, snowy villages for moon,grass vilages for green üplanetes, cave villages for red, desert city for brown planetes and so on ---

that woudl help a lot, to get a grasp and maybe place some asteroids and stuff

but anyway: by now the map is a bit plain, it must be made more interesting -

so i ask at this point for some permission to alter it, or you think abit about the concept for yourself and alter the map.

you must know that that less is always more ;)
i suggest 42 planetes for 6 players is enough