Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: Galactic Empires (MP Sci-fi Scenario)

Post by Mabuse »

hi,

i agree with GMC concerning the asteroid in southwest for P4 blocking the 1Turn access to the planet.

in general i feel that every HOMEWORLD should ALWAYS have at least 6 GRASSLAND (or equivalent) Tiles were workers are placed when the game begins (so you start always with 12 food)

and that a Homeworls should be able to produce at least 20 Food per turn SOMEHOW, so it have 10 grassland-tiles, or mushroom and woods (but i would be carefully with placing too many of the "super hexes" on a homeworld, of course 1 mushroom+1 forest is far better than 2 grassland.

in any case, unless tzhe cirsumstances are equal for all players, i vote for a minimum standard, for homeplanets, else you run too quickly into problems and fall behind, as said on delta map the difference between P1/2 and P3/4 is HUGE. and best Homeworld is P1, since P2 Homeworld has one less Forest or something.

blablabla, so thats about balance but that up to every Mapmaker anyway, i can jst say that i would not like to play delta as P4 and preobably also not as P3 since the map is imo kinda unbalanced. it sucks if somebody has agreat start can get scientists and whatnot, makes the big journey for relics and stuff, while you just try to get your few peons from your sucky homeworld to another world

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about moon:

thats a great idea, i already converted one of the plnet gfx to a moon (and a red moon), well, i guess i shrink it a bit.

to make moon terrain work (moon hills (Zzh), redmoon hill (Zzl), moon mountains (Zzi), redmoon mountains (Zzm)), the collector data must be expaneded of course for that, else MoonHill/Mountains wont provide income ;). But thats the smallest Problem

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but another thing:

i think an experimental mod, were you can get more ships (i speak of the lvl2 ships) could be very interesting and also desireable. by nowceratin strategies opt for getting cruisers asap, and theres no real possibility for counters and such, or continue that "tech-race"

so i think it may be good if we make the lvl 2 ships also available.

Seeker: Warp2, Ballistic1 (kinda the opposite of the Cruiser Start which opt for W1,B2)
seeker would cost 45 Gold, and is a great allround ship, good close rnage damage, can defnd itself on long range, good defenses, high speed - admitted weak resists though.

Interceptor: Warp2, Ballistic2, cost 55 Gold. A good Counter for Fighters and Cruisers - if it can get the initiative and if it (or someone else) can finsih off the opponent. deals great damage at close range. kinda untouchable by scouts, which it may kill in one salvo.

Patrol: Warp2, Ballistic2, cost 55 Gold. Advanced Fighter, can deal more damage then a fighter, and retals slightly better than fighter at close rnage.

Battleship: Warp2, Ballistic 3, cost 70 Gold. advanced Battleship. Can Annihilate a scout with one shot.

of course the Prices are kinda high, and so getting 2 basic Ships may be still the better alternative (but not nessessarily, as two ships also mean the enemy can probably retal twice)). The higher damage numbers benefit more form comms though, and it can be helpful to have a "line-breacher" handy. so its not like pumping lvl2's will be the win, but its a new element, and may enrich the actual "3 unit warfare" - and will be without doubt useful. and also you may also get a lvl2 if the enemy levels so it doesnt leave you "outtech'ed" fighting against superior enemies.

so i guess i may make something like that and also make a new Map, hopefully balanced and with option for some strategies, in essence a new mapwith some improvements, will be fully compatible with the current Galactic Version though (so no additional download is required).

as said the additional ships are experimental, something like a "Era of Heroes" for Galactic Empires.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ah, btw, mod is ready. i guess i will test it first on a good ol' standard map.
because the original map(s) is(are) rather cool :D

i also did some slightest changes to Planet Upgrades:

Def. Laser cost 12 ---> 10 (-2)
Missile Base damage 10 ---> 11 (+1, 11-2)
Comms cost 14 ---> 12 (-2)
Shields cost 17 ---> 15 (-2)
Gaiacology cost 20 ---> 15 (-5)

i did that mainly to make it a bit more difficult to destroy/attack important Planets, and to make Palnet defnse a bit more affordable. all in all its nothin big though ;)
also Comms upgrade lowerd a bit because it got kinda nerfed.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

The MOD is working great, btw, at least imo - some more tactical possibilities ;)
Having more Spaceships to buy that concentrate Firepower is great.

Dislodge pesky Scouts hiding on Asteroids with awesome Firepower -
scare of Swarms of low level enemies with great damaging Interceptors on asteroid terrain
(or dislodge them with some patrols :lol2: )

The Space War goes in the second Round.

Simply copy the MOD Files over the old Files in
\userdata\data\campaigns\Galactic_Empires\files -Folder

i say: Give it a try, you will see that it is quite some Fun, and mixing these Armies of low level scouts (to protect Flanks), cruisers (as relative cheap tanks, with some retaliation potencial) with interceptors and/or patrols (for taking out long/short ranged enemies with their awesome firepower) offer lots of possibilties

the MOD makes the lvl2 Ships availabe depending on tech tree progress (shown in post above, as well as slightest changes to some planetary gadgets, also post above)

and is fully compatible with version 0.4.1, just the Host need the verison no other requirements are neeed.
Attachments
LVL2 MOD-Files.zip
(6.16 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, i plan to play Galactic Empires 24h a day on the coming weekend. :lol2:
(ok, more or less)

But since i know me, i may also be that i "waste my time" and make a Map for it, due to Bobs great work its almost only a matter of design (ok i guess some art from spacenoth will also make its way into it, aliens i.e.) - i already made some thoughts about it

in any case i look forward to a galactic weekend :D

EDIT: so i hope for some other galactic fans out there, sombody needs to be at the recieving end of the mighty firepower of my ships
KingdomAmericaCMG

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

The probe needs to be fixed, instead of defend only they are attack only, and the damage I saw calculated was 1-1 not 10-1.
lightdragon

Post by lightdragon »

I found a bug---

When I beamed up 5 soldiers in my transport 2 soldiers died just like that the transport ship said 3-5 when i beamed up five then i beamed up two more and it said 4-5 so i lost 3 soldiers.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

KingdomAmericaCMG wrote:The probe needs to be fixed, instead of defend only they are attack only, and the damage I saw calculated was 1-1 not 10-1.
well, your re right, in the probes' weapon description theres a "defense_weight=0" instead of an "offense_weight=0"

setting offense_weight to 0 has no effect though, since the player manually trigger the attack.

the 1-1 is the result of the "defend_only" ability, where all damage is multiplied by 0. the minimum damage an attack will deal is 1 though. so its 1.

fix should be simple as long you can live with 1-1 attack in offense. for that, simply delete the "weight"-line (since offense_weight=0 has anyway no effect).

if you cant live with a 1-1 atatck i would suggest toi alter the weapon-special to influence the "Chance to Hit", in this case set chance to hit to 0 of offense. which is also easy -

i guess that should be fixed, since the probe is actually useless then (but you may also think about a complete change of the probe into something dufferent).

however, if you fix this, bob, pls also include the newest TERRAIN in the update, since the twinkling stars/space look gorgeous and theres also some new terrain - (i might use it then in a new Map (like red Moon or whatever) .. and dont need to persuade the people to load down my Map. :lol2:

of course, if you dont like certain parts of the new terrain feel free to delete them :)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hehe, btw, i am obviously dumb, after seeing Bobs update :wink: , i remember suddenly that "offense_weight" doesent exist, and "attack_weight=0" does the job pretty well :D
KingdomAmericaCMG

Water Technology: with technology of the deep your workers can harness the power out of water.

Shallow Water: 2 gold
Deep Water: 3 gold
Swamp: 1 gold 1 food
Oasis: 1 food
Ford: 1 gold

You can add this into your existing Technology or add a new tree, what you all think aobut this idea?

I think this might add some dynamics and make water planets more usefull but not as a begining prize but as a tech advanced.
KingdomAmericaCMG

Food system isnt working on Star Assault. Edit:fixed

I did test it out solo and it seems only the homeworlds are not working, the inital colonies if you start with 3 planets they are working jsut fine.
KingdomAmericaCMG

Warp Drive 50gold click on unit to charge then click on spot on map where you want to teleport it will then teleport to the closest avaible spot.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, is all fixed now.

since BOB allowed me to maintain GE, i added a new MAP with somenew Features.
also some UNits changed (not game relevant for the old maps though)

however, i made some mistakes though, for example the starting planetes has to be named "homeworld" else resources are not woring and also some lame bugs (by me), that ownerhsip was not set correctly if "large" start.

didnt affect old maps though, also all changes dont affect old maps.
the unit changes are only relevant for the "original" units costs, not the n-game units costs -

the fix just make the "original" same as "in-game", as they were different before.

for the nearest future, maybe some sound fixes for the new aliens -

of course also other things can be considered the water tech may be included (cant say any details, and also not if it will affect the old maps)
Last edited by Mabuse on September 28th, 2008, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, one BUG remained to be fixed, LIT MUSHROOMS didnt privide income.
also fixed for DELTA MAP

also slightly changed Hitsounds, for the (new) Vendeeni.

0.5.0 should be playable now ;)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

0.5.1 is out, just slight unit-changes (therefore it is essential though). interceptor has same XP-requirements as patrol (35--->40), and scout XP-requirements was also raised (30--->35).
KingdomAmericaCMG wrote:Water Technology: with technology of the deep your workers can harness the power out of water.

Shallow Water: 2 gold
Deep Water: 3 gold
Swamp: 1 gold 1 food
Oasis: 1 food
Ford: 1 gold

You can add this into your existing Technology or add a new tree, what you all think aobut this idea?

I think this might add some dynamics and make water planets more usefull but not as a begining prize but as a tech advanced.
btw, i like the idea kinda, since it also allows different approaches of maps, where you first have to make the planetes be "useable"

i dont know any details though or how to exactly implement this, nor i am willing to change unit stats, so i guess deep water wont be useable ;), but i very much like the idea to "terraform" unusable terrain -

since this will make maps way more versatile, and allow different approache sand startegies.

-----------------------

also, in the next version there may be also some focus on improving GROUND battles, so there may be a little workup on SOLDIER techs, additional HP, weapons and stuff, need to work on a good system -

also new kinds of soldiers will/may be implemented.

a new tech wil be also added ---> cloning, will need very high Tech requirements and then you can simply "buy" soldiers.

also better ground battoes require better HQ`s, so i may also include HQ upgrades, additonal HP, resistances, Abilities.

for "ultimate" ground battles, some TANKS or TURRETS would be nice of course, so feel freeto contribute gfx on that matter.

only 1-frame sprites are needed for that. no animations or soemthing, so if you have something handy feel free to post it.

so lets see how we can implement this, without changing the game itself, but it would be sool since it would allow to make versatlie maps, maybe future maps require more sophisticated ground-campaigns, so the players need to be equipped forthat ;)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I suggest you don't commit too many changes in lots of small updates, so that the era is somewhat stable and people can use it without worrying about OOS, and save the changes for bigger updates. But you can keep backups as well, in case it gets messed up at some point. Or use wesnoth UMC dev repository.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."