Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheArchitect

Re: Galactic Empires (MP Sci-fi Scenario)

Post by TheArchitect »

ok, I was hoping I wouldn't have to reinstall wesnoth but I guess thats what I need to do. I'll follow the directions more carefully this time. thanks for the help.
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

sorry for the double post. I got it to work, thanks for the advice.

However, it doesn't look like suns are included in the map editor. How do i add them to my maps?
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

About the terrains...

Code: Select all

floord
floorj

lit stars
dark stars
Those have the same codes.

But what about the sprites I made?
Check out my sprites!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

wow, thanx a thousand times woodmouse ... :shock:
your're right about floord and floorj.

bad thingy. i will rename them

lit and dark stars will be Zzn and Zzo.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

about the aliens ....
well, umm, ... i dont know.

tbh, i have rather a big bunch of Aliens i could use, just look in the images/units/aliens directory of GE and you see a bunch (from various sources, for example IftU) that were included by BOB (but some/most are not used atm)

so if i am in serious need of an alien i can take these first (they are of decent quality, and still yet i also have no real use for them. sure i could throw in another alien - but i have no real unit-ideas atm. and we dont need just another "blade"-damage alien for example).

atm, i would not use your sprites since theres no "wow awesome" or "wow cool" effect yet. same goes for the tank.
i like the idea though that you worked on something that reminds a bit at "aliens" (from the movie). when they have reached awesomeness level, i will surely build them in. but dont exspect that anyway.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

so for sprites:

we still need some vehicles, maybe more aliens, or better said a FULL alien-tree !!, may be used.
so if i can wrap a map around a cool looking bunch of aliens, there would be some use for new aliens. (lvl0 face huggers, lvl1 soldiers, lvl2 pretorian, lvl3 queen - maybe eggs as artifacs ... for example. however, they must look "extremely" cool and this may take some effort -- so dont see this as an encouragement)

vehicles are more needed though.

onm the other hand if you find yomebody who want to make a map with the above sprites im fine with it. i have no real use atm for them tough
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Mabuse wrote: atm, i would not use your sprites since theres no "wow awesome" or "wow cool" effect yet. same goes for the tank.
i like the idea though that you worked on something that reminds a bit at "aliens" (from the movie). when they have reached awesomeness level, i will surely build them in. but dont exspect that anyway.
btw, awesome means "good".

so in case of the tank, its not just enough that we have "something" that could remind you of a tank, it also need to look good. details and stuff
KingdomAmericaCMG

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

anti electric explos heat psionic
Lightships
Anti 0
Electric -10
Explosive -10
Heat -10
Psionic 0

medium
Anti 10
Eletric 0
Explosive 0
Heat 10
Psionic 0

heavyships
anti 0
eletric 30
Explosive 30
Heat 30
Psionic 0
Terran
anti 0
Eletric -20
Explosive 0
Heat 0
psionic 20

Vendeeni
Anti 0
Eletric 0
Explosive -20
Heat 0
Psionic 20

final result
Te-Heavy(cruiser) 0/ 10/ 30/ 30/ 20
Te-Medium(fighter,trans) 10/ -20/ 0/ 10/ 20
Te-Light(scout,servicer) 0/ -30/ -10/ -10/ 20
Ve-Heavy(cruiser) 0/ 0/ 10/ 30/ 20
Ve-medium(fighter,trans) 10/ 0/ -20/ 10/ 20
Ve-light(scout,servicer) 0/ -10/ -30/ -10/ 20

ok analysis of above, basicly i made light, medium, heavy classes for all ships, then have a racial. the end result is as shown at the end. also i was thinking about the servicer for the terran you would have a 5-2 electric ECM slow, and for Vendeeni you would have 10-1 explosvive Nanite poison, both attack traits are in the files already. with this change teh servicer would cost 25 or 30 gold depending how much you weigh the new attack, this giving the servicer the ability to level to lvl 2, the lvl 2 would have +8 healing and curing, also i put my ideas for what the possilbe lvl 1 vendeeni ships could have. not sure about balancing health.

other possible ideas put forth.

Maybe Vendeeni cruiser lvl 2 should have coms 10% leadership bonus, and lvl 3 should have 25% leadership bonus, as the vendeeni hive ships like to swarm and with their cruiser giving the bonus. because of this they shouldnt be as powerfull as the Terran cruisers.

Vendeeni Scout-light
cost 20
spd 6
HP 25
9x2ele-ranged
none-long

Vendeeni Fighter-medium
cost 25
spd 5
HP 35
10x1ele-ranged
6x4heatlong

Vendeeni Cruiser-heavy
cost 40
spd 4
HP 50
9x2heat-ranged
18-1ant-long

Vendeeni Servicer-Light
cost 25
spd 5
HP 25
10x1explosvie-ranged-Nanite Poison

Terrran Scout-light
no change

Terran Fighter-medium
no change

Terran Cruiser-heavy
no change

Terran Servicer-Light
cost 25
movement 5
5x2-electric-Ranged-(ECM slow)

take suggestions in moderation, can use some tweaking, also note the changes to the terran resistances.

Edit note: i changed the charts a bit so they where somewhat readable sorry for the format.
KingdomAmericaCMG

I took a bit of research of the spacenoth units and factions.

arakaan weird boxed shaped ships (ships i dont fine looking that good, no ground units yet)
iildarii smooth looking ships kinda ok (no ground units that i could find)
vendeeni the new alien ships that we are experiementing with
terran the original GE unit

what we know is Terran is humans and like humans, mabuse and i discussed Vendeeni and i agree with mabuse that the Vendeeni could be a swarm like race.

but looking at the iildarii which the names of the ships are like wasp and battery, and recreator. made me re-evaulate the role of vendeeni, vendeeni could be more like warrior race which favors fighters and combat, and iildarii could be the swarm race you were describing.

but up to the GE community, what you guys think, we dont want to just copy the spacenoth directly as it looks like alot of their stuff is dead and not moving foward.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

but looking at the iildarii which the names of the ships are like wasp and battery, and recreator. made me re-evaulate the role of vendeeni, vendeeni could be more like warrior race which favors fighters and combat, and iildarii could be the swarm race you were describing.
yes, i also think that the vendeeni ships look anyway too massive to be a swarm faction.
i guess i COULD make the vendeeni a more solid faction with more HP and more expensive ships.

i say COULD because its still uncertain wether i find time and motivation to make this quite huge add-on, becseu its not like making a new faction and put it in the area and it works - the whole game code has to be altered, many rules need a check wether youare this or another faction and stuff

at least the workers can be simply added to the list, if the eco is working the same way (but it will work the same way)

well, and then we also need to make a selection systemand stuff -
all in all its some work, and im not going to bother with it atm, since my free time is spare atm,and im also not too motovated to work heavily and focussed on that

but i kinda agree that it would be a nice thing to have more than one faction to chose from -
as said making the unts and working on a conceptis one thing, but it has also to be incorportated and all, making slection thingies, implementing them on all maps and stuff -

it wil consume several full days of work ;), which i dont want to spend atm ;)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

so it may happen in some time, but not in, say, 4 weeks or somethign like that -
it may take some time
KingdomAmericaCMG

I was thinking the same, but i think there is another solution, maybe an option for future maps to chose your faction ingame, i think that this would be best so that it wont influence the original maps. I think you should get rid of the 6p ffa map in the mod to free some space (make it smaller)

my final maps
1p totorial for new GE players
1v1 and 2v2 super planet map
4p ffa map
1 other map not decided

id like if possible to make the 4p ffa map allow vendeeni faction. the 1v1 and 2v2 not sure depends on ground units, if theres neutral/mutral ground developement ortherwise i wouldnt use Vendeeni as a faction. the 1 other map that i havent decided to fully develope could be a warp map, vendeeni only, or something new.

as for working on changing the original code i agree that it shouldnt be altered and looking at the actual code it would be alot of work to change.

some ideas about how choice could be implemented on certian maps, basicly each player gets on their turn to chose their faction, then spacedock/deck is added and the ground units are spawned.

from what i see atm. things that to be working on.
1. ground developement vehicles and such (not sure if its needed but its possible)
2. Vendeeni developement (i think this could be fun and interesting)
3. Warp gate tech (i think could help on maps since distance is huge)
4. New tech levels (not sure what is in but i know your working on it)
5. that other race (i think that it needs to be developed as well could be nice for survival map)
6. Space Creatures (atm we only have spiner that can move in space)

note: Stoner has survival ffa map, Rainbow is making a random map generator for GE

if you need help in working on somethings ill be glad to help
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

First of all, great work I look forward to each new version. Keep up the good work. :D

sorry if this idea has been proposed before (I havn't read all fourteen pages so I wouldn't know :roll: )
what do you think of the idea of a space station type unit. It could be built in orbit of a planet with a spacedock just like any other ship, but it would have 0 movement so it would just stay in orbit. Essentially, it could be the highest planetary defense technology (after defense laser and missile base) with impressive weapons and hp. Although now that I think of it, it could also be upgraded with 1mp and given a planet crushing laser like the death star 8).

just food for thought
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

KingdomAmericaCMG wrote:from what i see atm. things that to be working on.
1. ground developement vehicles and such (not sure if its needed but its possible)
2. Vendeeni developement (i think this could be fun and interesting)
3. Warp gate tech (i think could help on maps since distance is huge)
4. New tech levels (not sure what is in but i know your working on it)
5. that other race (i think that it needs to be developed as well could be nice for survival map)
6. Space Creatures (atm we only have spiner that can move in space)
ok, my priorities are:

1) ground development
2) new techs (including warp gate)
3) new critters (including new ships and stuff like Vendeeni and the other faction, though by now only available as enemies, no "additional faction" stuff planned) - i may add new spacedock abilities to train these new ships though (so you can make a spacedock in a custom map that is able to build these)
4) add new fatcions

btw, if you plan a survival, remeber that you can put a leader on a satelite-group and it will be able to recruit ships (or whatever you tell it to train) ;), since the satelites function as keeps and castles (and villages also) atm -
i just included them for fun, but this coudl be a use - so you dont habve to spawn evey single enemy then, the enemy can also build some on their own.

ah well, maybe i make an example anyway -

so atm point 1 is under development, i wil post ground vehicle gfx and the spacestaion (will strictly work as a planet right now, in the end just with different gfx and resistances), but i stil kept the htingh that units which a re ties ti it die if it is destroyed.

this remeinds me i have to work on the assign-thingy as well
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

aa Tank (explosive/aa)
small tank.png
small tank.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
hvy Tank (explosive)
tank.png
tank.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
artilery Tank (impact)
missile tank.png
missile tank.png (5.03 KiB) Viewed 3671 times

Note: aa is a new damage type "anti air", alll units get a new resistance versus it, usually 0% or more (pirece is taken as reference, but minimum is 0), aircrafts have -100% resistance versus it

the artilery tank will be able to shoot over several hexes
Last edited by Mabuse on October 21st, 2008, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.