Remaining technical problems with online play

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Remaining technical problems with online play

Post by Dave »

I think since migrating to new hosting, the Wesnoth official server has been very stable and reliable. Most of the former problems are now resolved.

I'd like to hear about any remaining technical problems with online play. What are the biggest pain points for users? Are there still any sporadic disconnections? Is anything painfully slow?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Mica

Re: Remaining technical problems with online play

Post by Mica »

If you have auto saves on (usually for Windows users) it lags for about a minute or two before every turn. And, if a windows user hosts a bigger type of game (like Bob's RPGs) then they'll lag pretty badly. Also, doing manual saves takes about 2-3 minutes for windows users as well.

But it's not bad, it's very livable. I'd rather be lagging like this then being randomly disconnected like the old server...
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I can't speak for everyone, but I use Windows and I don't lag bad in the above-stated situations except for Bob's RPG Era. Autosaving and manual saving do not cause lag on my end.

The only issue I can think of is era-related OOS issues, but that isn't really the fault of the server. It seems stable to me!
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

MP server looks pretty stable. Only concern is /are the sometimes long lags joining a game (6000DSL good connection on my side