4p-Esrever

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sid6.7

4p-Esrever

Post by sid6.7 »

well here is a four player map...

can't seem to get fog or teams or labels to work though

fog=yes
team_name=one, team_name=two

ENJOY!
Attachments
esrever.zip
Esrever 1.0
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Frontliner_NL

Re: 4p-Esrever

Post by Frontliner_NL »

Wesnoth is nice! :)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Is this a campaign scenario or MP scenario?
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

MP scenario/map....

I.E my first one with a cfg file...

a campaign would have multiple cfg files right?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Well, yes. But you don't need to post them.

Long story short, this doesn't look like any MP scenario I've ever seen. Water battles are, in general, boring, because of their 1-dimensionality (not literally, but in terms of lack of interesting terrain). Look at the 'water' maps included in the mainline pack (which is quite a few). You'll notice that the water areas aren't JUST water units (lots of fords and ways for land units to interact) or they aren't central to the map/the main thing about it.

Yours...is pretty much just water. It'll basically be loyalist mermen vs elven mermen vs undead ghost/bats vs nagas vs gryphons vs...well, all the drakes.

You're removing most of the game by doing this. I think you should rethink the map. Move everything closer together and introduce a lot more features. Look at the map crushmaster made recently: it prominently featured water, and -it still does-, but he's made it much more playable by the dynamics he's introduced to it.
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

different flavors for different folks..some like long games some don't.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with a 'long game', but an 'interesting' one.

I suppose we'll have to wait for an MP dev to weigh in on this one.

By 'removing most of the game', I meant the tactical options and strategic depth that make Wesnoth fun, not the length of the game. Games will take just as long and have much less variation in them on this map.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

In the 1.5 line, a new water terrain, reef, has been added. This should be able to give this map a big more depth.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Still, two terrains does not an MP map make, in general.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

It's the equivilant of saying you'd make a highlands based map, featuring mountain and hill terrain- with the mountain and hill terrain covering the entire center of the map. While that A) does make games long, and B) not very dynamic, it C) is a balancing nightmare.

In this situation, you'll get the same units facing each other because there is no purpose in recruiting the others- the same rebel merman hunters facing the same northerner nagas, the same loyalist merman fighters, the skewed ghosts and bats, and so and forth.

I'm not trying to frighten you out of MP map making, or the sort- but I am trying to say that such a map you're creating is highly uni-dimensional, and perhaps wouldn't be the funnest map to play. I suggest that you try to create something that is more worthwhile of your time, something more dynamic. :wink:
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Hi Sid,
Since I'm assuming the picture posted by Frontliner is a picture of your map, I'll throw in my two cents:
The map does look really cool, but, as the others have said, I think it would be fairly hard (and long) to play.
I do, however, think it is a neat concept, as I've always liked battles on islands.
I think if you added some more land to the mix to connect the islands (using some fords, too), and made the map a bit smaller, you could have a really awesome map. :D
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Adding teleporters could be interesting, to be honest.
sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 »

F8 Binds... wrote: I'm not trying to frighten you out of MP map making, or the sort- but I am trying to say that such a map you're creating is highly uni-dimensional, and perhaps wouldn't be the funnest map to play. I suggest that you try to create something that is more worthwhile of your time, something more dynamic. :wink:
oh don't worry about that...i've made over 900+ maps for various games and RPG's
including 28+ for wesnoth....i've heard every kind of critic there is... :roll:

if you hadn't noticed before i tend to make worlds rather than regions...not everyone likes
to play worlds VS regions. on future maps i'll look at scrunching them a bit as to eliminate
merman/naga saturation worries....we'll see..
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Creating maps in wesnoth, as compared to other games, where dynamics is the only concern, is much harder when factional balancing is thrown in. To be honest, trying to depict a certain environment/region/world while keeping balance takes a good deal of skill. I would try to grasp the concept of factional / P1 balancing before you try to get extensively creative with geography / asthetics. 8)