Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Golbeeze

Re: Wesband

Post by Golbeeze »

Is there a limit to the dungeon level? What is "get item" used for? I got to dungeon level 7 I think and got an error about failing to serialize a unit.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

There isn't a limit yet. I'm thinking about how we want to take this. Probably don't want to make it infinite.

Get item lets you get something on the ground. The problem is, there's nothing on the ground yet unless you put it there. Try clicking next to your unit to drop something first. :)

I wish it would tell you which unit it couldn't de-serialize. I'll look through to make sure I spelled things right.

I'm rolling on getting this thing working. A lot of bugs that I didn't think I would get resolved are gone now. Will release hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look at it.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Excellent! I'll definitely follow this one. It is lots of fun. This was also my introduction to 1.5.X branch so its extra cool for me. Hehehe

Ok here is the error I got:

"Error
The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Attempt to de-serialize a unit with no 'type' field (probably empty)"

It occurred upon moving to a new floor.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Golbeeze wrote:Ok here is the error I got:

"Error
The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Attempt to de-serialize a unit with no 'type' field (probably empty)"
Hehe, I know what message you got. I was just saying I wish it said what the unit called was or what line in the code it appears.

New release. Major era balancing.

I also opened up the caves a bit. Tell me what you think.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

you're probably accessing an array past its end then trying to unstore from it.

try turning on this option when you run wesnoth:

Code: Select all

--log-info=engine
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I like the wider pathways. Are the map sizes variable? It feels like some are larger/smaller than others. I haven't had enough experience to know what is balanced / imbalanced between the characters. I've mainly used the Dark Adept although I did try the dwarf tinker. I couldn't figure out how to use its tinker though.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Sapient wrote:you're probably accessing an array past its end then trying to unstore from it.
Very close. I was accessing an array past its end and creating from it. That configure switch will be very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Gol: Cleared up the bug.

The maps are all drawn on the same size map, but the pathways may be different. They should, however, be roughly about the same.

To tinker you have to raise your skill in it (from upgrade) and then go into Manage Inventory. I put a note in the tinker option screen that says if you need to raise the skill. But, I will need to put in some help files for everything very soon.

New versions of the era (0.2.4) and campaign (0.1.2). Got a lot done today. Highlights:
-mobs now spawn in clusters so you're not just fighting one thing at a time. this may be too much.
-shop functionality for shields, added round shield, tower shield, runic hammer and faerie staff
-on shields: they mainly adjust for terrain defense lost on other armor. big shields are best for units with heavy armor. they can restrict wielding more than one weapon and ranged weapons. tower shield allows for steadfast if you're a dwarf.

If anyone has any suggestions on what directions you think this whole thing should go from here, please drop a note.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Well, I did look through the inventory for tinker and I couldn't find anything. I had upgraded it to level 3. I'll try again though.

I like the direction it has been heading so far. I like the idea of finding items every few levels. They could be as simple as items that you can buy in the shop or special items. Perhaps "bosses" every few levels, too. Maybe even bosses that utilize special items which you receive upon defeating them! :D

EDIT: I like the latest changes. The enemy attacks seem cooler now. I like the enemies that start with XP, too.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Cool. Glad you like it and thanks for trying it out and for the comments.

Well, the direction you're talking about is what I was thinking as well. I guess that's the obvious choice though. I've been meaning to put the handling of magic/special items in the era. I guess now is the time. And, what you're saying is exactly how I thought of doing it. The items would have stats if used by players, but those stats would also figure into NPC usage. You would see a weapon being used by an enemy and would know to kill him for it. I was also thinking of letting you give items to NPCs that they might want to use.

Which brings me to the latest update, of just Wesband this time. I made the henchmen recruiting system a lot better, where you get to see the units' names and traits before recruiting them. There's some more to do with how all stores

I'm also thinking of setting a limit to henchmen at 2 per player. Does that sound about right? I think a max of 9 units going into the dungeon is enough, if not too many. Also, I'm going to have to figure what to do with necromancer types, because currently they could have an army of 100 Soullesses. Maybe above your max they start to lose HP. I'd also like to have them be able to raise other types of dead.

I'm also toying around a lot with mobs. There's a big problem currently where AI turns take too long, especially with 3 players. Anyway, they sometimes appear in clusters and each level will have 1 or 2 units-per-player that's at least a few ranks higher than the max possible of other units.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I don't think you should need more than 1 recruit per player, but thats mainly because I can solo it without any henchmen. I've succeeded well enough with solo: Dark Adept, Tinker, and the Troll.

I did notice the plague needs to be capped. I did multiple plays with the Dark Adept and I ended up using an army of WCs in one run.

I haven't played it online so I don't know about the lag issues, but its definitely not laggy alone.

EDIT: I keep forgetting to mention I really like the system where it ends the turn after you move when no enemies are in the general vicinity. Also, the healing is great because it prevents the easy-way-out of ending turns until you've healed.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, I've played enough other Wesnoth RPGs, like Bob's ones, to realize you have to speed things up where you can. Some RPGs are mostly about attrition, making it so you have to use a little healing as possible all along the way so you can survive. However, in Wesnoth, healing is free; it just takes time. The result was players ending turns over and over again, so I thought I'd cut out those waits. If you (or anyone else) can think of other ways to save time, be sure to let me know.

Maybe 1 hench will do. If you're clearing levels, it's not like you can't just go get another one.

EDIT: Thanks to Turuk for giving my control of the thread and thanks to ivanovic for giving me control of Wesband on the add-ons server!
Golbeeze

Re: Wesband (Now with relevant info in the first post)

Post by Golbeeze »

Having reached floor 16 I feel like there isn't enough enemy variety. Is it a slow progression or is it a small set of enemies that level up? The main enemies I see are :

bats, oozes, trolls, orcs, ruffians, thugs, wolves, ogres, and recently spiders

I suppose that sounds like a good amount, but I just feel like there should be more. I can imagine making new units would be tough though, particularly with all the other work you've got planned out. I don't know if you'll want to add other units because of the cave-diving feel. Just thought I'd point it out.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I was totally going to add more units from other eras, but it's just a matter of collecting them, making sure they work with v1.5 and then adding them. Here's my short list so far: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfx4vf3d_1449tm5wdx

Congratulations though. You've gone deeper than there are new enemies. New ones stop at lvl 15.

I think the problem is units currently show up too weak for the level in deeper areas. The method now is random from 1 to the level number, and then add random from 0 to 2. The problem is, at level 15 you're just about as likely to still see a goblin as you are to see a troll. I'll have to think about that one. I'd still like to have those weaker ones, but it would be better if they were much rarer.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Cool, that list of units looks really good. I do like the idea of still seeing the weaker enemies, but I agree it needs a bit of tweaking. I did run into a tough bunch on one floor (forgot which number) but it was something like 2 trolls, 3 spiders, and some assorted weaker units.

All in all, its a lot of fun and I look forward to the updates! :D

EDIT: I knew there was something else I wanted to put in this post, but I just couldn't remember! I think the players receive too much gold. I have a surplus of about 3,200 gold at floor 21. I've bought everything I want from the shop at this point and really just need to go back for potions every few floors.

EDIT2: Interesting bug. I played online with a friend of mine and we went through about 3 floors and then we noticed my level reset to 1. I retained my upgrades in every form except my HP and XP reverted. I don't think the HP went back to starting level and my XP reset to 19 from....30s I think. Quite strange.

Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Also, the Human Rogue doesn't get anything when you try to get "Dark Magic." It is supposed to give the dark adept spells but nothing happens.