Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Death1

Re: Wesband (Now with relevant info in the first post)

Post by Death1 »

everything still seems to work fine with the new version, but the silver order still isn't on the mage upgrade list.
is that a bug?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I still have menu problem

specifically when using a dwarf tinkerer, the inventory=>tinker=>thunderstick menu is block without any possibility of getting out

this one is probably specific to that menu...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Death1

Post by Death1 »

Ill see if it does that on windows too.

It didn't do that for me.
Last edited by Death1 on April 3rd, 2009, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Death: You have to upgrade to Red Order and then Silver Order (like how a Red Mage becomes a Silver Mage in mainline).

Btw, if you had that error, you would have already seen it.

Bouc: Right, I was just hoping you'd test it out first before I changed every single menu. Give me a while and I'll do the rest.
Death1

Post by Death1 »

ok, that is what ive been asking.

by the time i read that message i was already finished checking.

im now a silver mage, and the teleport spell doesn't seem to be working.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Whew, there were no more ENDMENU macros, but another macro-made-option was causing the tinker problem. I just took out all macros that are used for menu options. Uploaded the fix.

Death: Thanks for pointing that out. Was a problem in Wesband. DL 0.1.6a to get that fix if you want.
Death1

Post by Death1 »

Im glad to help, when i read that i was already in the middle of downloading it lol

Im here for another hour, im gonna play every class thoroughly and post any problems I'm gonna start with humans.

all the humans seem to work fine now, but i don't understand why you would pick mage considering soldier can become a mage too and have leadership etc.

I have to go now. ill see ya later. :|
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Characters starting with the Mage template can have leadership too, but they'll lose it if they change to neutral alignment.

Really, there are no "classes" as there are races, alignments and restrictions.

A soldier can learn magic but will have a hard time casting it while wearing armor and wielding a weapon other than a staff. He could, however, get into the white order of magic and then be able to heal (he essentially becomes a paladin).

A character that starts out as a rogue template can learn dark magic but will lose skirmisher if they use a necromancer staff with it. They also get to poison their throwing knives later, so it's pretty redundant to have that and ranged spells.
Pudels_Kern

Post by Pudels_Kern »

I've played the new version today and found a few bugs:
I got a nobleman as henchman and gave him a mace and a javelin. When he leveled to a lieutenant, he dropped the javelin cause his own range weapon is stronger (so that worked fine) but the mace was gone. When he reached level 2 the mace was back as an attack in his inventory and he dropped a javelin again. When he reached level 3 he dropped another javelin and another of his weapon without losing the attack and at level 4 he dropped all of his weapons, some of them appeared twice on the floor and the attacks were gone. Everytime he AMLAs, all of his weapons appear twice on the ground and somtimes he loses the attacks and somtimes not. Similar things happened to my mage of light when he AMLAs.

I only recieved the "level cleared" message in the first (few) dungeon levels.

I've seen a troll with a sling, which had the unmodified damage 3-1. I don't know if it is a bug or if melee untis just can't use ranged weapons effectively. It just makes no sense that the troll doesn't even get more damage because of his strength.

Everything else is working fine. There are just some things that I'd like to see in the future:
More monsters: we are underground and I haven't seen any dwarves?! Maybe some drakes when there is lava on the level. Dragons with different colors like the mudcrawlers for the deeper levels. Maybe more units from other usermade eras.

Special levels with a keep and enemy leader who can recruit. I'm thinking about an anthole for example, where the queen ant recruits normal ants.

I've got more ideas but I'm too tired now to continue...
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Thanks for the bugs and ideas. I figured my code on units having or dropping weapons might be a little off. Here's my confirmation.
Pudels_Kern wrote:I've seen a troll with a sling, which had the unmodified damage 3-1. I don't know if it is a bug or if melee untis just can't use ranged weapons effectively. It just makes no sense that the troll doesn't even get more damage because of his strength.
You're right about it not making sense. How it's currently being done is the total value of the unit's first melee attack and its first ranged attack are calculated (i.e. 7-3 spear's total value is 21). That number goes through a process that brings up a "melee level" and a "ranged level" which gives the unit bonuses to these new weapons. If a unit doesn't have that type of attack, then the level is 0, and the attack won't be altered. This is why a troll isn't any better with a sling than its base value.

I was already planning to change this up now that there's a new system of attack upgrades for the main units, and you've pointed out further how the current system of npc attack modifiers are inadequate.

Here's what I think I'll do: Assign units "body," "deft" and "mind" attributes based their attacks. High damage/low strikes would be high body/low deft with the other way around on low damage/high strikes, except any ranged would award relatively more deft. Extra deft would also be awarded for more movement points and better terrain defense on flat terrain. Maybe more HP would give more body too. Bonuses to mind would be if the unit has a magical attack and how powerful that is.

Those stats would then award the extra damage/strikes based on the weapon's own internal values. This way a troll with a sling would mainly just do more damage with it but a thief with a sling would add more strikes.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Death1 wrote:Ill see if it does that on windows too.

It didn't do that for me.
The problem why it doesn't work well on GNU/Linux and it is ok on windows, is that you are not using the same case on the filenames that you later use to call on them, on Modular RPG. I changed this on my GNU/Linux machine, and it started to work. Please be aware that on this OS, the filesystem is case sensitive.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I still have some bugs remaining (just reporting again to make sure they don't go through the net)

* no weapons in shop (I tried to play anyway, but it's quite tricky)

using some henchmen and keeping my leader next to the steps, I was able to kill ennemy units, level my henchmen and get a weapon...

bad suprise, it seems that equiping a weapon doesn't help, I can only use my fist...

(I should have noticed earlier since my tinkerer couldn't use his thunderstick)

hope this helps
Boucman

EDIT: Observing a game, I found an interesting bug... ennemy units fight each other (this is a feature I guess) but they do so even if the players are not around. This removes most of the interest of that feeature and uselessly reduce the number of ennemies encountered. you should keep units deactivated in that case
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Lord Ork wrote: Please be aware that on this OS, the filesystem is case sensitive.
I think you're onto something. I'll put all of the files in the case they need to be.
Boucman wrote:EDIT: Observing a game, I found an interesting bug... ennemy units fight each other (this is a feature I guess) but they do so even if the players are not around. This removes most of the interest of that feeature and uselessly reduce the number of ennemies encountered. you should keep units deactivated in that case
Right, this is kind of a feature. It's supposed to be rare (opposing units are put far away from each other except for rare exceptions). I was hoping it would lead to enemy units leveling up sometimes.

The biggest problem for me with this is the time it takes the AI to do things, making the players wait. This is amplified the more players there are.

I guess I'll think about this. I'm open to suggestions on how it should ultimately be.

EDIT: OK, new version with the fixes that Lord Ork suggested. Hopefully this will clear up the problems for the linux users (hopefully, this was the problem to begin with). I'll make a feature request with this if you can confirm this is the problem.

The version also includes a sneak peak of the undead henchmen level up system. As a dark mage, get a dagger, then the Soul Trap ability and right click on what is produced from killing something. This is at the cost of Walking Corpses not leveling up very much at the moment, so there's a trade-off.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Ah HA

yes, it seems to work much better now, upgrade pops up a menu, I have my weapons when creating a character

and the smith acutally sells stuff

no more bugs pending on my side

/me goes dig into dungeons
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Awesome! Thanks for testing it out and sticking with it long enough for us to figure it out. Hat tip to Lord Ork too.

Now, I'm off to bugs.wesnoth.org....