Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesband 0.2.3, saurians, orcs, goblins and magic

Post by Ken_Oh »

I really wouldn't know. Wesband is fairly complicated, but shouldn't your problem persist no matter what campaign you are running? I would try something else (Brotherhood of Light, etc.) and see if it's the same deal.

Well, maybe not, because it's not like I can do too much optimization from my level anyway. Perhaps your best bet is to check out this thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120 Maybe it's an issue with the current stable Wesnoth.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Hey Ken-oh, will we be seeing a 1.8 version of Wesband any time soon?
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Relatively soon, sure. However, I don't see the horizon just yet. Sorry.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Excellent. I haven't played for a long while because I've been waiting for 1.8 to be released. Is the list of features-being-worked-on on the first page up-to-date?

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, that's all that I think we'll need for the release, but, and I hope you're not too disappointed, but we're only on the first bullet (NPC system) and the probabilities section is done. Yes, I know that sounds lame, but it's a huge change. One of the most basic things in the add-on has been altered an enriched. The rest will be cake in comparison.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

That sounds good to me! Any progress is better than nothing, and I'm really glad you are still working on it. Wesband is my main reason for keeping track of Wesnoth. :D

Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Rumors of my death have been slightly exaggerated. Also, here's a little progress update:

I have just finished with a pretty heavy rewrite of the dungeon creation and enemy placement code. I had to reorder a lot of things, but I think it gives better results for enemy placement, and generation of new maps should be somewhat faster. A few highlights are: randomized order of enemy play (instead of always being cave, outlaws, orcs, undead, water, planar or whatever order it was before, on one level you might have orcs, cave, undead, water, slime, saurians then the next it might be saurians, slime, water, undead, planar, orcs), enemies no longer stay where they were when you go up to town and re-enter the dungeon, enemy placement is spread out a little more (I remember there being a few requests for this - don't say I never did anything for you!), and enemy themes can now be allied to each other (this one is only used a little bit right now).

I've also done some work on updating things for the 1.6 -> 1.8 transition, and general improvements/bughunting.

When you add that to all the things Ken_Oh's been doing, it looks to me like there's only a few things that still need to be done before we can have a working 1.8 release for you (although I'm not sure how long some of them will take, so I can't give you an ETA yet).
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Hurray! I can't wait :D
Those sound like good updates, Exasperation. If you need any testers for 1.8 compatibility I'm available.

PainfulAC

Post by PainfulAC »

So I'm assuming that Wesband for 1.8.1 is not out yet?

If you need a tester, I would be interested in doing it, it sounds very interesting :wink:
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, no release for 1.8.x yet.

I've got one very painful thing to do and then after a few odds and ends I think we'll be ready for a release. I'm working overtime to get that done, and Exasperation is knocking down those odds and ends pretty vigorously.

I'd be fine sending whoever the current version, but it's really quite broken now. That is, everything is shaping up quite nicely, but there is just a couple parts that are show-stoppers and make it unplayable. The only stuff we might need testing will come with the release.

I think early next week is a reasonable goal for release.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Well, the good news is we're in the home stretch now. Ken_Oh and I just played a short game together without seeing any instability/OOS issues, and barring unforeseen circumstances Ken_Oh just has one more thing to finish before he's happy releasing what we've got.

The bad news is that I was killed by a troglodyte spawn on the first level of the dungeon. :(

Edit - been doing mostly last minute bugfixing (mainly issues with display of weapon damage values in various menus), but I got bored at one point and prepared a special surprise that should make it into the release.
Exasperation

Re: Wesband 0.4.0, now with 4 players

Post by Exasperation »

I normally wouldn't double post, but I feel it is important to draw attention to the fact that there is now a 1.8.x compatible version of Wesband available on the add-ons server. For more details, see the first post of this thread or the included changelog.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

It's been a long and arduous haul since the last release, but I'm very proud of what got accomplished.

Things are very much more random-y. A unit's make-up is almost exactly like that of a player character. This means when you kill a Mage, he's going to drop his staff and robe. Plus, NPCs can level past their max level. You just might witness the power of a level 7 Master Bowman, as I have (apart from insane attack stats, he dabbled in magic but then decided it would be easier to study dark arts...I had a necromantic archer on my team!).

Here's a glimpse of the new tavern, which reflects a lot of the above.

Exasperation has been an absolute Lua daemon. Given that tool he has made dungeon generation faster and done many things that were simply not possible before.

Rousing is another huge improvement. Again, Exasperation employed Lua to work rousing so that units have to actually see you before they will start coming at you. This one thing provides with a much faster, hassle-free gaming experience compared to how it was before.

Oh, and Exasperation upped the max players to 4 now, almost, it seems, as an afterthought. :)

Note that there are some instances where units are unstoring when they shouldn't be, or something along those lines. Exasperation put up an error message for when this happens. Hopefully it won't break the game, but it should give you that error message. If anyone can pin down when exactly this happens, that will make our job easier.

I'll try to get some more new screens on the front page. Until then, enjoy!
Max

Post by Max »

congratulations - can't wait to test it^^
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Excellent! :D
I'm gonna go play it right now! Is it still endless at the moment?