Siege Wars - New Construction Era!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Siege Wars - New Construction Era!

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I made another mod. It's a kind of cross between A New Land and my other map, A Nation Betrayed.
The difference here is that buildings are actual units. (See the screenshot below.)

Siege Wars is both an era and a set of 2v2 maps. All players need the era to play.
Due to the way the sides are set up, it can only be played on one of the Siege maps included in the download.

There is plenty of in-game help available if you read the unit descriptions. Nevertheless, I'll post how it all works here for reference.

Orders
* Leaders cannot move. Instead, their movement points represent how many orders you can issue each turn.
* Orders are used to construct buildings, deploy troops, collect taxes, assign missions, repair/demolish buildings and perform special actions.
* Additional orders can be bought in Town Halls and Command Tents.

Leaders
* Leaders have more or less the same stats, but get different bonuses.
* Queens start with +1 order.
* Lords start with +30g and get +5g base income.
* Commanders start with +20hp and better melee. Also, troops deployed from a barracks start with 5xp.

Building
* You can construct buildings by rightclicking within a 3 hex radius of your leader. To build further afield you must construct a Town Hall.
* Defences can be built within a 4 hex radius.
* You cannot build on swamp, castle or water.
* Buildings can be repaired by 8HP for free, or demolished for a 50% refund.
* There are two basic types of buildings: stone and wooden. They have different resistances and weaknesses.
* The defence of buildinigs are thus: Grassland, Sand, Cave, Tundra: 30% Forest, Hills: 40% Mountains: 50%

Taxing
* Besides your base income, the only way to make gold is to tax villages.
* A Village's hitpoints represent its population. Villages start with 5 population/hitpoints.
* Each turn the village's population will increase by +2 if it is left untaxed and is not attacked. This is a result of the unit 'resting'.
* Right-click on a Village to collect taxes. You will receive gold proportional to the population of the Village (dependent on your tax rate).
* Villages can only be taxed once per turn. Collecting taxes requires 1 order.

Rioting
* Collecting taxes also entails the risk of inciting a riot. A Village that riots generates no gold and suffers a population loss equal to your kingdom's level of unrest.
* A Village's experience represents the risk of rioting. It decreases every turn by 2%.
* The risk of rioting in villages adjacent to a Gaol House decreases by an extra 2% every turn.
* When taxed a village's xp/risk-of-riot increases equal to your level of unrest.

Unrest
* The unrest level of your kingdom starts at 10, it can be checked in Town Halls.
* It increases by 1 whenever you lose a troop.
* Unrest can be decreased by building monuments.
* Your enemies unrest can be increased by spreading propaganda (from Town Halls).

Other Buildings
Pallisades - A simple wooden defence.
Wall - A stronger defence, made of stone.
Tower A stone defence, with a ranged attack
Mill - Mills give a +2 population boost to adjacent villages at the start of every turn. This works like healing, but only affects villages.
Barracks - Rightclick on an empty hex next to a barracks to deploy a troop. Barracks also have a melee attack.
Monument - At the start of every turn your unrest is decreased by 1 per monument. They also provide illumination.
Gaol House - Gaol Houses lower adjacent villages experience/risk-of-riot by 2 at the start of every turn. Also, prisoners can be released from the Gaol house. Thieves and footpads will fight for you.
Temple - Temples heal adjacent troops and allow you to deploy mages. You can also buy an altar which gives you a long distance lightning attack. Lightning can be used to instantly destroy any building within 4 hexes of the Temple.
Command Tent - Confers the leadership ability on all adjacent combat units. Allows you to deploy sergeants. If you rightclick on a Command Tent you can select certain military actions.
Appoint Commander: gives you another order.
Improve Combat Training: Once you have this uipgrade, all units deployed from Barracks start with 8xp.
Town Hall - You can build within 3 hexes of a Town Hall. They also allow several special economic actions.
Change Tax Rate: Your tax rate starts at 100%, but it can be raised if you need the cash, or lowered if you're getting too many riots.
Appoint Mayor: This gives you another order.
Town Planning: This increases the max hitpoints/population of villages. Once you have purchased this improvement, you then have to rightclick on each village you want to upgrade.

Troops
* To deploy a combat unit, rightclick on an empty hex next to a Barracks, Gaolhouse or Temple.
* Combat units are controlled by a friendly AI side with the same colour as your own side.
* You can assign missions to individual units, giving you control of them for 1 turn.
* Once a unit is under your control you have the option to set it to 'sentry' mode. A sentried unit will not move until you tell it otherwise.
* Whilst on sentry mode the unit belongs to your side, so you can use it to attack. It will also affect upkeep.
* When a troop dies your unrest is increased by 1.
If anyone wants to make some maps for this game, let me know. If they're any good I'll include them. Seige maps need 4 keeps without any surrounding castle tiles. You need to use sides 1,3,5,7 for the players. AI sides do no need keeps or starting positions. Also, villages are not needed.

Hope this is fun!
Attachments
seige_wars_screenshot.jpg
seige_wars_screenshot.jpg (320.56 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on April 23rd, 2008, 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
nataS

Re: Siege Wars - New Construction Era!

Post by nataS »

I have played this addon quite a lot already, it's great fun and provides a completely different Wesnoth experience. I especially like it that you can build a base, while at the same time the turn times are quite low because of AI controlled armies. Although it still requires some balancing I think many players will like this!

Oh and my city is better then yours Bob_The_Mighty:

Just kidding..
TL

Post by TL »

Cool mod, but the markets in 0.3.3 don't work very well. You've got nested FOREACH loops using the same variable, so the outside loop ends up getting reset and reiterating over the same villages over and over again until they all get fed up and rebel. When looping over the traits you need to use a different variable name so i doesn't get reset every time. (Although unless you're planning on expanding villages to have 2 traits, there's not much need to loop; since they only have 1 trait each, you can just do a simple if command on unit.modifications.trait[0].id).

Moreover, using the trade command still takes just as many orders and increases your riot chance just as much as taxing every village individually--so even if the above bug were fixed, what would the point be?

Also, is it intentional that the chance to riot can go into negative numbers? The ability to "save up" obedience in this manner makes it relatively easy to jack your taxes up fairly early on with relatively little in the way of repercussions; letting your villages sit and build population a few turns without taxing them means your riot chance will be so far in the negatives, as soon as you build a town hall you'll be able to instantly max out your taxes and still have a riot rate of around 0%. I'm not sure whether or not this ability represents an actual balance problem, though, as it's conceivable that a very aggressive recruit-heavy start can nip this strategy in the bud.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Put command tents next to towers. Lvl 1 leadership makes a difference.

This is fun, but when i tried it with 4 local players (to test it) it was really slow. But i saw it through anyways. :wink:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The point of the market is to make it so that you can tax many villages with one order so that there is a point to having many villages. However as it is there is a problem and it is not working that way.

In addition to halving the amount of gold gotten trading is supposed to cut the chance of rebelion in half.

It may be possible to do this by centering the event on the market rather than just running the taxxing event on the villages, and have it so that if there is a rebelion non of the the villages come. This way you could simpily have the market count the number of adjacent villages add 5% to the chance of rebelion for each, then add the hps of all the adjacent villages together, divide that number in half and give that much gold to the player.
(If this is not as simple as I make it sound I appologise I havn't looked into the code for it too closely, however I think that it would cause less problems than the current set-up if it works.)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TL

Post by TL »

Velensk wrote:The point of the market is to make it so that you can tax many villages with one order
Hence the problem, because using the market still costs one order per village, just as if you taxed them individually. (Actually, at present it basically wipes out your orders regardless of how many villages you have due to the out-of-control loop problem I mentioned.)
Dratsab

Post by Dratsab »

And here comes BobTheMighty with yet another original mod concept. Nice!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I have made some big changes to this era. I've amended the stuff up the top of this thread.

The biggest changes are:
* removed market
* added monument
* risk of rioting is now different for each village (the % is represented by XP)
* each leader has a unique bonus
* added propaganda (town hall) and plague (temple)
* extra map made by jb
My current projects:
lightdragonx

Post by lightdragonx »

wow bob the mighty u rule i cant believe u managed to make another superb thing like this !! though i am still experiancing a problem ----- most peaple i play with just tap in a barracks or gaol house in the starting and dont give eachother a chance to build the base!! could u find a way around this please ?
major_sephiroth

Post by major_sephiroth »

lightdragon, those people can be stopped for a short time by towers and not over-extending your base. 6 villages around a mill can supply alot of things, namely, a counter-attack. Try fighting the way they do.
"Tell me what you cherish most, give me the pleasure of taking it away!" --Sephiroth FF7:AC
lastdragon

Post by lastdragon »

siege is cool :) :lol2:
nataS

Post by nataS »

1) Is it an idea to allow players to view the unrest via the town hall xp?

2) I think lightning bolt should not be available on your own or allied buildings. This is going to cause players to destroy their own temple.

3) Can you make merman hunters and/or fighters available at the barracks?

I created a two player map:
kingdoms-siege.zip
(1.95 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
The players start quite close together, and I created passages to the back of the enemy camp to prevent locking yourself into a corner or behind your leader.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've tried version 4.3 and I have two comments/suggestions

1: I would suggest that the default rate of riot decrease be 2-3 rather than 1, so that taxing before you can get goal houses/monuments will not be such a horrible thing

2: The commanders abilitity are by far inferior to the other two leaders because it only helps him if he gets troops with lots of xp to lvl, whereas the other twos abilities help them get their empire running faster, and keep it running better.

I don't know if this is possible, but as a suggestion for an additonal buff to the commander: If you give a mission to a unit, that unit gains a bonus: probably on the lines of and extra move and +1 damage or something like that. Which would give the commander a tactical advantage, the lord a monatary advantage, and the queen the undenyable advantage of an extra order.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Velensk wrote:1: I would suggest that the default rate of riot decrease be 2-3 rather than 1, so that taxing before you can get goal houses/monuments will not be such a horrible thing.
Unless it is bugged, you must be mistaken. A village's risk-of-rioting already decreases by 2 every turn.
Velensk wrote: 2: The commanders abilitity are by far inferior to the other two leaders because it only helps him if he gets troops with lots of xp to lvl, whereas the other twos abilities help them get their empire running faster, and keep it running better.

I don't know if this is possible, but as a suggestion for an additonal buff to the commander: If you give a mission to a unit, that unit gains a bonus: probably on the lines of and extra move and +1 damage or something like that. Which would give the commander a tactical advantage, the lord a monatary advantage, and the queen the undenyable advantage of an extra order.
Agreed, and that is a good idea. Possible too. I'll think about it. Thanks, Velensk.
My current projects:
lightdragonx

Post by lightdragonx »

Oh and i found something else i dont know whether is a bug or feature but when u mission a troop u can move it and then use sentry and then stand at ease which allows it to move AGAIN using this specially with a queen is extremely effective as you can make one unit have two or three turns and if its a fencer or some other skirmisher than all you have to do is give it say two times its movepoints and you can smash the enemy base. PLEASE fix this