An option to reduce Vision from units.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pepe222

An option to reduce Vision from units.

Post by Pepe222 »

I think it would be nice to have an option for multiplayer to reduce vision of units. I find that in this game scouting is to easly done for my test.
Sadly i lack of programming skills at all to do something for myself.
I hope that someone that thinks the same i do wish to make a mod that restrain a little the vision of the units.
I did a little search function and saw there is other people that think like that suggested the following option.
1. Make units have half their vision
2. Allow units to see only where they can move (thus making units block not only movement but vision.

I don't suggest it as a main feature since i assume most veterans would hate such a big change for the game, but maybe it something that can be easly done and could be added as an option (if you ask me i think the second option is better)
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Isn't this a FPI? Also, OAB.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Clonk, this isn't FPI, this was discussed, many liked it, but the fact that the original discussion was pushing it for mainline meant that the thread crashed and burned in the obvious arguments against it. I really think that a WML option for certain UMC's would be rather cool, and as it's not going to be anywhere in mainline, just something the UMC-makers can use, I'm not sure Options Are Bad applies.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Weeksy wrote:Clonk, this isn't FPI, this was discussed, many liked it, but the fact that the original discussion was pushing it for mainline meant that the thread crashed and burned in the obvious arguments against it.
Oh, sorry then. In this case, don't mind my first post... :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Can pretty much be done with WML.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm not sure how this could be done with WML.

As for #1, that doesn't sound like a good idea for mainline.
And this definitely falls under OAB.

As for #2, I agree with you. Being able to block vision with units would add to the strategy of the game.

You may also be interested in my 150% Solid Fog proposal.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I was thinking it might be able to be done with something similar to how teleport works, but IIRC no solution for how to do it appeared the last time this was discussed.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sapient wrote:I'm not sure how this could be done with WML.
Ok, I was a bit ambiguous. #1 is CABD, not #2.

Basically, use side turn (etc) events to halve the max_moves of units while keeping moves normal. Only max_moves determines vision range, and moves can be higher than that. I already almost completely implemented it and it seemed to work pretty well.
Mabuse

Re: An option to reduce Vision from units.

Post by Mabuse »

Pepe222 wrote:I find that in this game scouting is to easly done for my test.
perhaps you play a few more games of wesnoth and get used to the game play. then you see that scouting is ok.

having line-of-sight zoc'ed woulnd be that great either IMO
Pepe222

Post by Pepe222 »

i played a lot more than few.
i played the tournament organized there too.
i play quite a bit really.
No, scouting is still too easy for my taste.
A gryphon can cover a huge area, and it's hard to impossiblel to surprise a player with a scout. It makes the fog of war almost pointless from my point of view.
I don't want to discuss if it's better or not, because i know that debate would lead to nothing.
I just asked if someone else, with some programming skills, found the same thing that i did as a problem, and could add a more "sneaky" option.
I really would do it. But i lack programming skills 100%.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Actually, I would GREATLY prefer that movement and vision be decoupled!

That is, I want to be able to make slow units that can see far, and fast units that can't.

But 1) that's a significant code change (not huge, but not small, either), and 2) the whole concept gets little to no support from the developers.
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
rchandra

Post by rchandra »

deoxy wrote:Actually, I would GREATLY prefer that movement and vision be decoupled!

That is, I want to be able to make slow units that can see far, and fast units that can't.

But 1) that's a significant code change (not huge, but not small, either), and 2) the whole concept gets little to no support from the developers.
Could you make a slow unit that sees far by giving it lots of MP, but much higher move costs?
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

rchandra wrote:
deoxy wrote:Actually, I would GREATLY prefer that movement and vision be decoupled!

Could you make a slow unit that sees far by giving it lots of MP, but much higher move costs?
No. The distance one can see is the distance a unit could move without being hindered by other units (zoc or blocking). Thus move costs won't do the trick.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.