Gauntlet Legends - 5p RPG [Version 1.0]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

You saw us beat the scenario the other day.

I'd suggest placing the endurance rings away from the entrance of the treasure chamber that contains them - because I mistakenly took 2 of them when I clicked to move outside the chamber and my moves ran out just as I was on top of a second ring. Although the ring-bearer strategy (of giving one character multiple rings) seems to work quite well...

Here's the other suggestions:
- replace some skeletons in the second skeleton tunnel with revenants or ghouls. That part seemed very easy (opponent-wise).
- get rid of that all-cave entrance to the elven section (three turns for getting the party through that place :mad:)
- those lvl 3 nagas after the sea serpent are a killer - perhaps place them a bit further away from the party?
- mark all enemies that are more powerful than standard with an overlay - I was a bit stumped the first time we came across those saurians....

One idea with the healing in the latter part:
- add some "spoilt healing potions": they give full healing, put also poison the character. That's an addictive mix ;).
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

I suppose so, it would be nice to set a few traps in the second skeleton chamber as the triggers can tempt the party to split up, this I might be able to pick off a weakling :)

Originally, the cave was intended to help surprise the party that they were coming upon a forest in the middle of the cave (but the tree that pops over the shroud spoils that anyway). As well, I do notice after playing it and watching other people play it, that it's just more annoying, so I'll fix that in the revision.

Ehh, I like the L3 nagas owning up on the party, what's the challenge if everyone can survive easily :) but I will do something about notifying the players of units with modified stats, well most of the units in the RPG have modified stats in the first place though :P

Oh the potion is an interesting idea, maybe not in this game, but I think I can put that to good use :)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I had a lot of fun with this one, nice work.

I kind of agree with Rhuvaen a bit here, some more variation in the monster types would be great.

Also, some variation in the terrain would be great. I know it's all "inside a cave" type thing, but having no real forests or hills was kind of a bummer.

And yes, healing healing healing. Since players can technically just sit and heal +2hp/turn for 30 turns, why not just speed things up with some potions.

I can't wait to play the sequel.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Great map, needs story! :D
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Truper

Post by Truper »

Blueblaze wrote:Well, my delima is that I wish I could just prevent +2 from giving health period. That way, you're forced to play the RPG with a healer, and if s/he dies, then you better hope for a friendly RNG. In many ways, you have to focus on protecting the healer as the most important aspect of combat.
The problem with this is that it makes gameplay boring for the healer. Trust me, I've played enough healers in enough RPGs to know ;)
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Bob, story = boohohoo :| atleast for this. I didn't want people to have to read much for this RPG since that's a complaint about some RPGs at times. Though it does enhance the characters and so forth, I'm not sure 5p RPGs that are relatively short is the best place to do that. I'm working on something with a story, but I'm not sure how much I want to apply a story to Gauntlet Legends, (well the sequel anyway).

Truper, I understand, seems almost best to make the RPG so that healers aren't even required, thus you prevent this problem totally.

And yes, the monster variation, is something I'll correct/already has been corrected for the sequel. Hopefully I'll be able to continue to work on it some more, eventually. Right now I'm sorting through the entire GraphicLibrary right now, which takes time on a dialup connect :P
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I finished it, a bit exciting play throught the game without saves.

My try was using only two players (since its 5 players that means more gold to invert on both characters) so I selected the Wose for Regeneration + high damage (tought its movement sucks) and a troll shaman (regeneration and magical attack).

Then I found that the troll shaman cannot level up =/

In the end, Ancient wose Vendanna defeated the evil boss, clearing the game effortlessy, tough the Midboss near wiped me (killed my troll shaman and nearly wiped my wose).

And there is a screenshot of all things that my ancient wose ended with.

IMHO there were a few surprises that probably would have killed me outright especially for being outnumbered, but in the end, the wose managed to have a nice damage output and run very fast so nobody could catch him if he was in danger.
Attachments
Last stats of my Wose Boss
Last stats of my Wose Boss
Iwin.png (26.09 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Heh, the Wose tactic was basically what Relic used to defeat it with one player. Regeneration sure is nice for this RPG if you don't have an +8 healer. Hopefully I'll be adding some type of potion function in the sequel to help make healers extensively required and non-regenerating units more functionable without a healer.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

For this type of games you should give the players some form of healing that doesn't depends on wasting money. like resting increasing +8 like in a village.

Otherwise, any group formed by regeneration characters will invariably overcome the difficulties, also trolls move faster in about more than half of the map, pair it with the troll shaman powerful fire and you have another way to finish the game.

Why the troll shaman didn't managed to win? because the shaman cannot go to lvl 3 and I didn't give the money (the wose has also a really strong punch and most of your creatures are weak to it)

Note also that there is a lack of lawful enemies, so waiting for the correct time helps, especially with a wose moving that fast and dealing 6 attacks of 37 even to the last boss. (and magical fire)

A note tought, I found that I sometimes spend the money to pump my character power or similar but it doesn't increase (and I still lost the money).

Waiting for a campaing style mazes for increased fun. and better development with amlas instead of this way otherwise it could be hard to balance it all.

Have fun :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Played it and enjoyed it in a hack-n-slash sense.

About healing: In the RPG era I'm making, anyone who starts their turn in a village and isn't in the proximity of an enemy unit (something like 12 hexes away) will be considered "rested" and will heal fully. I suggest, since your "villages" aren't near enemies at all, to just give full healing whenever a player stands within the area for a turn.

You did a good job of not making the dungeon much larger than it needs to be, but, if you're interested in making it better, you should look into not having players waste their time.

Another idea is to give players back their movement points whenever they are within village limits. TL has a campaign that has a non-combat scenario and, rather than making units end their turn, every step gives them back all their movement points. It would be pretty easy to do that with yours, if you wished.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

The movement regeneration is a brilliant idea. I will put that to good use in the future for sure.