Aethaeryn's Maps - Including Fortress Assault & Defense

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Played Fortress Assault. It was very fun.

I think the easiest way to change difficulty based on villages owned.

Holy crap, didn't you know you in Baltimore too.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Aethaeryn wrote:
schedal wrote:Have you considered integrating the theory of adaptive-logic?[...]
In principle the idea is to scale the AI to be progressively stronger but somewhat less than 1:1 ratio with your increase in skill, so the battle still encourages players to do well enough to win.
I'm curious as to how this would detect how the player is doing...
(Total cost of all player owned units + all player sides' gold) / (number of villages x gpv x turns + starting gold x 3)

EDIT: hm, you'd also need to deduct something for unit upkeep... and disregard negative player gold (since that seems to be a strategy).

That would give you a scale of something like 200-0% of gold the players still have (yes it can rise because level-ups increase the value of your units).

Whenever the player rises above 175%, they probably do too well, and when they're below 80%, something is going wrong.

By the way, am I the only one who hates those "surprise, a wave behind your lines! And we even move and attack the same turn!" waves? Those just make you lose the first time you're playing...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

It's been a while so I released a new version of my mappack fixing some issues with clarity of instructions in Fortress Defense and adding a new 4p FFA (with a terrain shop), Four Bases. I've been wanting to do Four Bases for a while (though the final map differs greatly from my original concept).

Code: Select all

VERSION 0.2.4 for Wesnoth 1.3.18
 - Four Bases created
 - Fortress Defense updated to 0.5
    - spawns are now more clear and the elf "ambush" is now warned
    - there is now end text for when you win
I plan on doing another survival now that I've done all the interesting maps I've wanted to do, thanks for the input and ideas for a better survival.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

thx Aethaeryn I really enjoyed playing fortress defense

PS: please change the title of your map pack on the server....

I was looking for your map fortress defense ...after playing it and only could find it with your name because you dropped in to give some comments while we were playing. Couldhappen to a lot of players who simply watch the map and are interessted
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Sombra wrote:thx Aethaeryn I really enjoyed playing fortress defense

PS: please change the title of your map pack on the server....

I was looking for your map fortress defense ...after playing it and only could find it with your name because you dropped in to give some comments while we were playing. Couldhappen to a lot of players who simply watch the map and are interessted
I don't want to make Fortress Defense a separate package, it's still relatively a small release and I'd like to keep my maps together. As for the name, changing it would confuse those who currently use it and what is more descriptive than "Aethaeryn's Maps"? My next survival may be a separate package, depending on how fancy I wind up being.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Slann

Re: Aethaeryn's Maps - Including Fortress Assault & Defense

Post by Slann »

Really good map. I have been playing this many days (also with bluey).

So, its posible play with 4 players now?
rchandra

Post by rchandra »

I really like Fortress Assault, because I prefer to play against AI and defending that is quite different than usual maps. I haven't tried attacking it yet, probably I'd want to control all sides against the one - but that can get tedious, so maybe just steal my "allies"' villages.
Is Fortress Defense playable single-handed or would I need to control all human sides?
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

rchandra wrote:I really like Fortress Assault, because I prefer to play against AI and defending that is quite different than usual maps. I haven't tried attacking it yet, probably I'd want to control all sides against the one - but that can get tedious, so maybe just steal my "allies"' villages.
Is Fortress Defense playable single-handed or would I need to control all human sides?
It's probably even easier individually than as a team since you have control over all the villages and so can recruit more often. You mostly have to focus in the middle anyway. Try it out, setting p2 and p3 'empty' and see what happens. It'll probably lead to a different experience but it most likely is still winnable. You may want to raise your starting gold a bit though since the spawns aren't reduced.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Gonna have to be a thread necro here:

Couldn't you modify some of the recruits in hide-and-seek, so that more of your units have ambush? You could just raise the cost for them to compensate for it, or decrease some stats. Not all of the units need to be changed though, maybe just two or three. (archer, fighter, and maybe another). And the original version should still be recruitable.

What do you think?
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

wesfreak wrote:Gonna have to be a thread necro here:

Couldn't you modify some of the recruits in hide-and-seek, so that more of your units have ambush? You could just raise the cost for them to compensate for it, or decrease some stats. Not all of the units need to be changed though, maybe just two or three. (archer, fighter, and maybe another). And the original version should still be recruitable.

What do you think?
It's an interesting idea, but iirc raising costs would require changing the unit file itself, which in turn would require a download. No map in this mappack requires a download, which would most likely decrease its play and make it even harder to find people. Decreasing stats would be possible, but you wouldn't know about it until after you recruited it (not even in the help file), which would probably frustrate some people. Especially if you want a non-ambush version recruitable as well, you're asking for me to require download with that approach. Sorry.

Even if I just tacked on ambush via event to your units, it'd be nearly impossible to lose, then. There's just too many damn trees.

Being able to recruit elvish rangers might be interesting, though, since they're already priced and upkeeped as a lvl 2.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

couldn't you throw a few unit into the map pack? so that way no seperate downloads are needed.

and you can see the stats of the units before you recruit it, so you would know that the ambushing unit is weakened.

i suppose you are right about it being impossible to lose with ambushing units, but the point is that they would be very expensive and weaker, so you couldn't afford to use so many.

if you still think it would be overpowered, maybe you could start off with a few elves that have ambush? One or two lvl 2's, maybe. or multiple lvl 1's. that way you can't have an army of invisible soldiers.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

wesfreak wrote:couldn't you throw a few unit into the map pack? so that way no seperate downloads are needed.
The issue is not about separate downloads, but rather requiring downloads. As it is right now, only the host needs the map pack. I'd like to keep it that way. If I were to create units in a non-hackish manner, I would need to require everyone to download it in order to play the map in question.
wesfreak wrote:and you can see the stats of the units before you recruit it, so you would know that the ambushing unit is weakened.
Not if you modify unit stats in a hackish manner, via events in the actual scenario. You'd recruit an ordinary archer via the ordinary recruit method (at the ordinary price), think everything is as Default (the stats in the recruit interface and help file would say so), and then suddenly (after recruiting!) find out that it does 2 less damage and has ambush. This isn't a very friendly thing.
wesfreak wrote:i suppose you are right about it being impossible to lose with ambushing units, but the point is that they would be very expensive and weaker, so you couldn't afford to use so many.
Again, requires download for all involved parties, instead of just the host, that way.
wesfreak wrote:if you still think it would be overpowered, maybe you could start off with a few elves that have ambush? One or two lvl 2's, maybe. or multiple lvl 1's. that way you can't have an army of invisible soldiers.
The neatest (as in, "not messy") way to have one, expensive, ambushing recruit, would be to allow the recruiting of elvish ranger. Another method would be to give a handful (two archers, one fighter, one shaman?) of units that have ambush and loyal trait at the start, for the explicit purpose of setting up an ambush.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

oh. i forgot about everyone requiring a download.

I think the second neat way would be best,(but i'd make it to fighters rather then a shamen) but you could also make a seperate faction with ambush units ( the non-hackish way) so that people have to option of playing with a download-required era, or they can just play with default. another advantage of this way is that you could play with the sneaky elves in other maps. there won't even be the problem of giving a side that can already recruit ambushing units free, loyal ambushing units because you would have to turn map settings off to play with a different era. what do you think?