Bob's RPG Era (now with achievements!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Bob's RPG Era

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

The forum crash deleted my last post about this era. Suffice to say, I made lots of changes and fixed many bugs. I can't remember what is different, and the list got lost, so you'll have to work it out. :)

The main thing is that I set it up to work with my new MP RPG: Into The Underworld.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
markm

Re:

Post by markm »

Flametrooper wrote:Diseased sounds like it would really hurt...
Hee hee. Maybe 'deceased' would be better. (Changing your race to undead; might not be so bad? A diseased undead even might not be so bad, not sure on that, how hard would it be to get the drain ability? ;))

-MarkM-
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
Mica

Post by Mica »

You can't become undead, and diseased is actually pretty fine. I think that naive should be more penalizing.

Sangel, you think that a flaw should be optional but I think it shouldn't. Everyone has flaws, whether it be physical, mental, or personality-wise. So giving the *option* to have a flaw or to be perfect doesn't make very much sense. No offense to you, if you took any.

[edit]
Here's some critique for Into the Underworlds. I don't feel like moving it. :p

In the swamps, I ran out of xtala in villages (maybe because I accidentally took the _last_ village with someone who had already ate it) and then there were no more enemies to kill me. Perhaps have 'em spawn randomly every so many turns? Also, you really need to make it so you don't get poisoned every single time on the swamp, because I have. It would have killed me (I sorta used debug to save myself :P.) and there's too many enemies at once...

Another edit.

In hell, it's just too hard. Those units that can move freely are way too strong.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Version 0.8 has the following changes:

- The weaponcraft bug that failed to remove slow/poison is now fixed.
- The bug that swapped weapon icons around is fixed.
- Ice rod works as it is meant to.
- Human Traveller (Outlaw Princess) is now neutral for the sake of vagabond alignment variety.
- The huanti leaves option no longer shows up in weird places.
- Illuminates/Darkens halos should now be showing.

Probably other stuff too, I can't remember.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Zagdil

Post by Zagdil »

Hi Bob, I'm really interested in your RPG Era and enjoyed it a few rounds of playing. But i have one serious problem.
It really lags hard.
Evereytime one of the players are up to play it doesnt take any commands for 2 mins or something until u finally can play on. Then u end turn and it is the same for the next one.
I needed 2 hours to get a bit outta town in "Into the Underworld"

Is it me or is it a general problem of such a complex mod?
Can I do anything about it?

Thanks
-Zagdil
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Zagdil wrote:Hi Bob, I'm really interested in your RPG Era and enjoyed it a few rounds of playing. But i have one serious problem.
It really lags hard.
Evereytime one of the players are up to play it doesnt take any commands for 2 mins or something until u finally can play on. Then u end turn and it is the same for the next one.
I needed 2 hours to get a bit outta town in "Into the Underworld"

Is it me or is it a general problem of such a complex mod?
Can I do anything about it?
Try :nosaves.
Zagdil

Post by Zagdil »

ill try, thanks for the tip

It works, thanks a lot!^^
Mica

Post by Mica »

This is one of Bob's add-ons I would like to take over, but he left before I could get a hold of him. If no one else is maintaining it, I would be glad.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Okay, well Bob wanted at least one special ability involving items [which is already done] and one not. Currently the mage and the warrior do not have an ability not involving items, so I need some ideas.

Anyone?

Ledtim

Post by Ledtim »

Some ideas:

Warrior:
Bloodrage: Killing an enemy gives +10% damage for 1 round.

Precision strike: A warrior knows the best places on a humanoid body to strike for a quick kill. +1 damage against humanoid targets (eg. not monsters/undeads).

Parry: 10% chance of canceling an enemy melee attack

Magician:
Blink: Teleport oh, say, up to 5 hexes away. Can be done only once every, oh say, 5 turns. The turn limit is so you don't use the teleport every chance you get, lest you don't have it when you really need it. Make it so the teleport only works if you don't have fog or shroud covering the place you are teleporting to.

Create temporary familiar: At the cost of, let's say 10 hp, create a vampire bat (or similar fast and weak unit that's more alignment neutral) that lasts for one or two rounds. Useful for scouting and blocking (but no zone of control), but at the cost of endangering the magician if used in the middle of a battle.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Thanks for the ideas, the warrior ideas seem more like abilities rather than the skills. Skills are the stuff like the mage's concoction or the ranger's tame. But interesting ideas.

The blink idea made me think of an ability that allows them to uncover as many hexes of fog or shroud as they have movement left [so they can uncover 5 fogged hexes if they have 5 movement left].

Interesting ideas though. The warrior ones got me thinking about an idea like the hulk - once below about 15% hp, increase damage by 3 times and fully restore hp - for only 2 turns, then lose 2 turns [sort of like, a recovery period].

Dia

Post by Dia »

This mod is really cool, however...

I've downloaded, redownloaded, restarted, whatever...

But whatever I do, whether I'm hosting or not, whenever I'm creating the game or ending a turn/waiting for a turn to start... I always get this super lag that lasts about 20 seconds before I can do anything again... Then it runs just fine while on the character, then starts back up again after ending a turn.

Been trying to use it on The Fall of Trent, but it happens on all maps.
Whether online or local.
Griffon-Eternel

Post by Griffon-Eternel »

Hello,

Very nice RPG's mods :)

But the 0.8 Bob Era RPG seems to bug... The main's character sprites of all races (in all Bob's multiplayer games) are black with a red interrogation-point ^^

i'm the only one with this troubling bug ?

Note that i tried to re-download the addon a lot of time. I play with v1.4.7, French language.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Have you actually started a game and made your character? Once you do that, the shadow with a red question mark becomes a character.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Griffon-Eternel

Post by Griffon-Eternel »

I just retry on the "Labyrinth" map and it works well now.

A few days ago i have tried another Bob's map, played around 2-3 rounds whitout disparition of the shadow's sprites.
So for me; the view of this sprite on all others maps was the same bug :p

Thanks Golbeeze and if i retrieve the wrong map, i will report this.

Oh, i also see other mods that Bob don't mention anywhere : Mech Wars, Galactic Empires, Wesball Siege Wars... are they maintained ?