Dark age Arena and clan wars

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

starman

Dark age Arena and clan wars

Post by starman »

I cant order to you what must do or what not.
Im not yours boss or customer.

But.. its bad idea=it is bad because it is new= i hate this.

Say why it is bad idea.

State of wesnoth = turn bazed strategy with average graphics = small comunity = no story (if you thing that few sentenses is story, you must be mad)
Yeah, they pay a monthly fee for playing a game. What does that tell us about their intelligence? (I dislike WOW for some personal reason)
I can only agree.

Don't be arrogant and insult people who have been working on the game for years..
I agree. Im workin on games for years. "Bad idea" without explanation is arogant and it insult me for me.
You might have been playing 30 games, but how many have you developed?
I developed 3 single player game, and worked on 3 web games. Now I develop on another 3 games.
Before i start with pc a make few badly games on paper.
Thanks to ask and you?
Do a little search.
I did little search. It is not agains "Read first".
I find only "multiplayer arena scenario " and it is about scenarino, not about wery long campaign or MMORTS.

May be you thing
Do a detailed search.
, and go through all forum (only in multiplayer part is 25 pages). It is easy develop to by self and add to my web pages.

You say this was hire two times, show one example.

At the end I must thank to administrator, becouse a cant answer to topic and must create new.
Stay in dark age and kill the turn based strategy genre. Spelcross was a Game which help. Wesnoth is game which kill. But Wesnoth have few years to develop, I hope you will wake up and do a Game, not only system with one hundred units.

Is many RTS with hundred units but many of them have not spirit.
BR Starman
JW

Post by JW »

This is a great way to make a bad impression.

Suggestions I have for you:
1) State what your native language is and type in it. People here speak a surprising number of languages (not me though). I think something is lost intranslation.
2) PM an administrator if you have questions about locked threads. "Meta-threading" is not looked kindly on.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Listen to JW's words of advice, otherwise you may end up like Danny California (Don't Ask for the story), first person ever banned I believe.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Dark age Arena and clan wars

Post by zookeeper »

starman wrote:I cant order to you what must do or what not.
Im not yours boss or customer.

But.. its bad idea=it is bad because it is new= i hate this.

Say why it is bad idea.
starman wrote:State of wesnoth = turn bazed strategy with average graphics = small comunity = no story (if you thing that few sentenses is story, you must be mad)
Small community? Surely not. Or, if you think this is small, then at least you must agree the quality is rather high. I don't want a "big" community, because big inevitably means lots of stupid people.

No story (just a few sentences)? Surely not. Sure, we don't have a uniform 10-page document detailing the world of Wesnoth and everything relating to it (not yet, anyway), but that's not a requirement really. Why do you think the story is lacking? I don't really see where you can get that idea from.

As for your original idea, then ok, here are the reasons why I said it was a bad idea (based on what little I could understand of it):
starman wrote:-When player finish a regulary campain, all saves with this hero will be delete and survive unit will be save on server. (With id of game play to protect agains cheaters)
That allows unlimited upload of any units the player wants onto the server. You cannot prevent that without essentially rewriting the whole game. And doing that would create other problems due to which something like this would simply not be accepted (due to those other problems).
starman wrote:-Units on server can´t be create by another way.
Fine, but the player can finish any campaign he wants with any units he wants (see above).
starman wrote:-Units can trade or give to another player.
Pointless, since you could get any unit you want for free (see above).
starman wrote:-Players can join to clans.
Fine.
starman wrote:-Clans fight agains another clans or agains powerful UI for land.
-Clan leader(s) can buy teraformin for his lands (and maps). Prize is units lvls.
Why would people want to do that? It sounds very unlikely to me that many serious/good players would want to do anything like that. Not the least because the whole system would surely be completely unbalanced.

Due to the first point, you'd basically have a MMORPG world where clans fight each other with high-level units on maps which are terraformed by their owners to make sure they always win on them.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Metathreading.

Locked.

If you wanted to discuss your other thread any further, you could have contacted Baufo with your reasons.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, I'll rather give the guy a chance to reply to what I said, so I'll unlock this until that (or that which JW suggested) happens. Don't worry, it'll probably just be one post.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

The problem with your suggestion is, as zookeeper implied, one could easily "hack" the game to get yetis, fire dragons, and/or skeletal dragons in single player. There are so many things that would have to be removed, which would then make it harder to test out new campaigns/features/etc. - debug mode (can create units), text-based save files (can be changed), and probably even modifying the source code if you really wanted to. It'd thus be impossible to turn single player characters into MP death match units in an open source game.

Also, making the game not turn based would take a lot of work and not be worth it. It would require some fundamental changes in the game engine. Make your own game if you want this to be done, don't demand developers do it. And MMOTBS would be impossible - unless you want to take a turn a day (and if player 57 is on vacation, then he'd be holding up everyone :P)

Also, Wesnoth has some pretty high quality sprite art. I'd hardly call it average - unless you're just insulting any game that isn't 3D. I'd have to say that the older games are actually far better than the current ones in most genres, before 3D graphics took priority over plot and gameplay.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Aethaeryn wrote:Also, Wesnoth has some pretty high quality sprite art. I'd hardly call it average - unless you're just insulting any game that isn't 3D. I'd have to say that the older games are actually far better than the current ones in most genres, before 3D graphics took priority over plot and gameplay.
Seconded.

And, also, you could take care a little more about your spelling. Otherwise, you are not making yourself credible enough.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

What you're proposing is so different from the current setup that it would basically become a new game. We like the game basically the way it is. If you want to make it differently, take the source code and go make 'wesnoth worlds' or something. It's GPL, you're free to do so.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
starman

Post by starman »

At start:
And, also, you could take care a little more about your spelling. Otherwise, you are not making yourself credible enough.
F-U This isnt school project. U mustnt read it.

JW: I want make impression! I havent time to speak you few month. I give you my idea, and comunity use it (changed and may be) or not.

zookeeper: Thanks to answers. If you say:
You cannot prevent that without essentially rewriting the whole game.
I believe you.
It is wery serious reason. (I thinged it is only ask add ID to campaign + few security metods and variables. )
My mistake.

Shadow Master: If I wanted to discuss my other thread any further, I dont hesistate to continue.
PHPBB is very good tool, but it have few weakneses. (And is mere easy use that than talk with admins about WHY)
But dont wory i finish with this talk.

Aethaeryn: I cant write english very well. Its sure.
But you may be cant read.
don't demand developers do it.
I answer to this before:
I cant order to you what must do or what not.
I said my idea, start diskucusion about that. I get ansfer: No, is hadr to implement security. And discusion over. Where I demand implement it?

U can hate me, U can bloc me, U can delete my comments. But.. It is all what U can. And idea stay in your mind.

Dont worry its stupid idea, but who know? May be in next your project, or in 10 years future..

Weeksy: It is true. It is like play checkers with chess figures. Usualy it is boring but sometime..

Have a nice day everybody. Continue in good work. I check you next year again.