Ladder Site Online...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

A suggestion for you:

You should try to put a message board on that site, so that people can post things like "I'm going to be on the server at 18:00, anyone who wants to play should meet me then..."

I think you'd end up with a lot more total matches that way.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

# Changed the way e-mail/msn info is displayed in profile & player sections: They're now obfuscated, @ is converted to (at) and . becomes (dot).
# Added message me/don't message me to play a game info in Profiles & the abolity to change it in profile setup.
# Added version of wesnoth info in Profiles & in profile setup.

As it says above, I've now solved the e-mail-can-be-seen issue that disturbed at least 2 players.

A suggestion for you:

You should try to put a message board on that site, so that people can post things like "I'm going to be on the server at 18:00, anyone who wants to play should meet me then..."

I think you'd end up with a lot more total matches that way.
Thank you for the input :)

A board could easily be setup, just like this one since it's the best in my opinion, but I doubt that it would make way for more games because of the function of the board: It's not designed for that task and is a clumsy tool for it compared with a custom designed system or even an online calendar such as i.e. googles. A board works if and only if it has plenty of users, since it means somewhat many will actuyally post and visit it regularly.

It also depends on people visiting it, which is a problem (for the purpose we speak of) since it requires people to do so to get the info that a game is on. People are not likely to do so, and it's way easier to just send an email to the person you want to play against. This also brings on another issue - most ladder games are chosen, more or less. You pick an opponent and play him or somebody in the same class, most of the time. You seldom just write a post saying "anyone can come", even if it is doable and perhpas a way some players like it. By contacting them on an individual and direct basis (email, msn etc) , you can also work out a time and place and get answers more directly.

In the end, whatever system we use, it will only function if a player actually contacts another somehow. It could be done by open and mass invites (example: a board where you say all are welcome, come play me) or it could be targeted private invites (individual email etc), or some combo of the two. A player will always need to initiate something for a game to happen.

Now, as for the board, I will put one online as soon as I believe that anything really needs to be discussed that concerns the ladder, as discussion is a forums main function and I fail to see who/what would be discussed in there that isn't already in this forum.

At the same time I recognize the need for easier game matching and I've already started to work towards it: As it can be seen in the start of this post, players can now see what version other players use of Wesnoth, and if they want to be contacted for a game or not - and this is just the start of a more extensive system that will be put into place which will enable you to find players withing a specific range of Elo, using a specific version of the game etc etc.

Sadly I'm still the only one coding on this project, and I don't know PHP, so I'm using it to learn the basics, which together with the university of course explains why I haven't done it all already. We still need a php coder that's interested in it. =)

In short, I'll re-work the system so it offers way more than it does today, but, I also argue that it already does what it's supposed to well enough and beyond the basics.

Edit: # Added the ability to view/set which days & time of day a player can usually play in the profile and profile settings.
Meti

2on2 :D?

Post by Meti »

Heeyaaa :D!
Can you open a 2on2 Ladder too? It would be veeerrryyyy niice :D!^^
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Can you open a 2on2 Ladder too?
Yes, I could. Problem is I don't think anyone would use it and that I'm still doing coding on the 1 vs 1 ladder and would rather spend the time on making it perfect first before opening up the 2vs2 one.

But, if you get 5 or more 2 player teams to sign your post and that claim they'll use it I could open it right away - could just copy the first, and each "player" registered would in reality be one 2-player team, not much work for me.
Meti

Thanks

Post by Meti »

Cool! Thanks alot ^^!! I already have a Partner for the team...
Hmm i think that there will be many guys who would like to play 2on2 !
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Edited first post so it now includes a screenshot of the rating page.

Also done plenty of improvements:

29 oct 07

* Added: Player who try to login won't be able to do so unless they have actiavted their account.
* Update: Password encryption via hashing & salting and what not.
* Added: Login system.
* Added: Profile item in menu when logged in.
* Update: Removed the winner drop down box when reporting a game. Winner is always you and your name is there since you must be logged in to report a game.
* Update: Join icon in menu is only seen when logged out.
* Added: When logged in your nick is displayed in the top right, along with the option to log out at the bottom right.

27 oct 07

* Added: Show the 3 newest players in the news.
* Added: Show a list of all players in inverted join order in the statistics page, placing the newest first & descending, making it easy to see all newcomers.
* Changed layout on index.php into 2-column and with smaller font size.
* Added: More stats on index.php.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Sticked.
I thought it was worth the stick.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Ladder

Post by Gallifax »

Hello,

hmm I think this thread would do better in the multiplayer forum. Many experienced players woudl ahvea look there. The 1vs1 archive is there and also the most recent mapupdates.

So maybe if you wish the ladder to become more known the thread could be moved?

Regards Gallifax

EDIT by Noyga: Here you are :)
Last edited by Gallifax on November 11th, 2007, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

I want to contact the ladder organizer but i can't i don't understand what the mail contact is, can somebody tell me?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Go to the site and look at the list of players. Click on eyerogue's name.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

waterd103 wrote:I want to contact the ladder organizer but i can't i don't understand what the mail contact is, can somebody tell me?
Doc's right... also, it says in the footer and in the FAQ: E-mail me =)
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

sounds cool, i'll check it out
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Added: "I'm lookng for a game"-list, which now allows you to find ladder opponents with even more ease. No hunting in chat channels or open browsers required. Just the push of a button ; )
Foxxy

Post by Foxxy »

I agree that there should be also 2 v 2 ladder in the near future :)
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

@eyerouge: I think we touched the issue recently. Just to make it an official request/idea :wink: :
Subject: Arranging the rendez-vous. - My ideas about the contact-possibilites are the following:

case 1) PlayerA isn't in waiting list and doesn't want to be addressed for playing => no issue...
case 2) PlayerA is waiting for a game (displayed in list - overrides "Contact me to play." +/-)
=> PlayerA should be on the specified server - either the one(s) he mentioned in his profile or the one displayed right after his waiting list entry.
=> PlayerB can address him on that server. (I believe if you're waiting for a game and can get instant messages or mails then you can also idle in lobby to make it even easier)
case 3) PlayerA wants to be addressed for playing (displayed by : "Contact me to play".) but is not in the waiting list.
=> PlayerA is actually not available for playing right now but can be addressed by PlayerB via IM or Mail for arranging a rendez-vous.

Blue : todo by players.
Red : todo by coders.

(just an idea though and all under the assumption it isn't already like this, at least I didn't make the experience...) :wink:

best regards.