Ladder Site Online...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

eyerouge

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by eyerouge »

Faello wrote:I wanted to ask is there any chance for a 2vs2 ladder anytime soon ? 2vs2 are more complex and more interesting imo, it would be great to participate in such rivalisation, espescially that I know some very effective duo's that play together already so it would be a nice addition to whole ladder idea :)
Soon(tm) is always nearby ;) The answer is yes: Muliplayer league support is on the development task list of the ladder, but so is a zillion of other nice things. Exactly when it's going to be implemented is up to mr russ as he's the one that has been assigned the task (since we're currently only two persons working on it on our spare time and he rocks my ass off when it comes to coding :) )

However, if you want to it can be implemented the coming month or so - all you have to do is either 1) help us code it in PHP or 2) get us somebody that will do so. ;) I know it's a boring answer, but it's also how it is. I myself would love to see it implemented already, but don't know exactly when mr russ will deal with it, if he chooses to do so at all.
Faello

Post by Faello »

It's not a boring answer and it satisfies me, good to know that 2vs2 ladder will be created someday :) Unfortunately I'm not a coder myself and don't know any that would be interested in wesnoth ladder :(
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

So, my biggest complaint with the ladder is -

People keep joining my games marked "LADDER" who aren't on the ladder. It usually takes about five minutes per person to explain to them that "this is a ladder game, you have to be on the ladder to join, here's the link to join the ladder if you want, now either join or leave", and sometimes they won't leave, and if you kick them they keep coming back. :?

Anyone have any advice for how to avoid this? Is the solution to just only play pre-arranged ladder games (rather than just going into the lobby, starting a game marked "LADDER", and then going and doing other stuff online until I hear the sound of someone joining)?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

Institute an official ladder-wide password? "Ifyouknowthisyouarenotanoob" or something simpler?
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

turin wrote:So, my biggest complaint with the ladder is -

People keep joining my games marked "LADDER" who aren't on the ladder. /../ sometimes they won't leave, and if you kick them they keep coming back. :?
The problem itself isn't with the ladder in that case. It's with people not being on it, but the ladder gets affected. Now, as you have noticed yourself, apparently some people don't understand your ladder marking. Personally I've also tried "ladder only" to give a hint about what kind of game it is and what opponent I'm seeking, but since we're talking about either illiterate or irrational people here it doesn't matter what you write - they'll join anyway. That's how they work: They see a game, don't read or care about the text, and join.
Anyone have any advice for how to avoid this? Is the solution to just only play pre-arranged ladder games (rather than just going into the lobby, starting a game marked "LADDER", and then going and doing other stuff online until I hear the sound of someone joining)?
I myself dropped the lobby waiting method after experiencing the same thing as you. My guess is that pre-arranged would solve the problem for you. Most often you can always see who's on the ladder in the lobby already, especially if you happen to use the ladder friends list. That way it's easy to contact anyone that's free or join a game and arrange a fight with the winner/loser.

As Eskon writes, a ladder wide password would probably solve most of the problems. Up until now however, nobody has requested one to be created, probably because the cases where it's meaningful - these ones - seem to have been rare.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You could try setting the second slot to empty and assign it to an observer who wishes to play.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've been experianceing tech problems with the site:

The problem is that when I got to report a victory (in this case, my recent three victories over Ardus), and after filling in the information in the report section and hitting ok, my browser freeses up so that, the individual screen with that on it cannot go anywhere. I can close the window, however the games arn't reported so there is little purpose.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
wudi

Post by wudi »

i have problem reporting as well. i think it is technical problem. do we temporarily report here?
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

...after filling in the information in the report section and hitting ok, my browser freeses up so that, the individual screen with that on it cannot go anywhere. I can close the window, however the games arn't reported so there is little purpose.
When your browser freezes, is it loading/waiting for the page to finish loading? Do you see the same screen as before you pushed the button or do you see a blank, white one?

Currently I can't even enter the site, it loads and loads and nothing is displayed at all for me, so I guess what you guys experienced is a tech glitch that's host (or ISP) related. I'm almost sure it's not the latest update as there have been other games successfully reported. I'll contact the host.

Don't post temporary reports in here - save them and mail them to me once it works again. Be sure to save the time in the same offset as the site uses (think it's something US).
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

hmmm... well I went to the website, tried to report, and it took forever to load.
So I closed the window, and tried to load up the site again - but now I can't connect to it haha.
I'm tried to ping the website, but I get "request timed out". That said, all other websites work. So I think it's probably a website host issue -_-;

Oh yea, when I tried to report, I was seeing the same screen as when I pushed the button.

EDIT:
Oh yea, I use firefox rather than IE, if that makes a difference.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Edit: It's been verified that it's a host issue. They're on it.
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hey all,

@eyerouge, you've given an example in your last news over the effects of reports done in the wrong order,

wudi said do we report here? with time before report, it could be a good idea, so then elo won't suffer of reporting in the wrong order.... (that's a question in fact...)
because when it'll go back to normal everybody will post his victories at the same time....

Last, do you know when it'll come back to normal? =)

Thanks, bye
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
wudi

Post by wudi »

now that i have another issue.

Here is the story, yesterday I played my first ladder game and I really enjoyed it. The guy who played with me reminds me to report. Then I go to the ladder site and try to report a victory.

Unfortunately "there are some minor problems with the host" during that time. I thought it was something I did incorrectly since it took me forever to load. So I tried many times. Later on I also asked one of my friend to report it for me. He told me that he couldnt report as well. Then I figured it might be the site problem instead of my browser problem. After that I posted here yesterday and suggests temporarily report here.

Today, when I go to the ladder site and take a look, something surprises me. Appearantly all the reporting attempts counts!

Here is a portion of the game history. every line involving "wudi" is the same game that I have tried to report yesterday.

2008-08-25 00:02:43 wudi tmarxell p () p () - / - Download Details
2008-08-24 19:30:15 wudi tmarxell p () p () - / - No Details
2008-08-24 19:15:49 wudi tmarxell p () p () - / - Download Details
2008-08-24 19:11:35 Bruenor MrDolar p () p () - / - No Details
2008-08-24 19:11:15 wudi tmarxell p () p () - / - Download Details
2008-08-24 19:06:08 wudi tmarxell p () p () - / - Download Details
2008-08-24 18:57:33 wudi tmarxell p () p () - / - Download Details
2008-08-24 17:50:30 Bruenor mrdolar p () p () - / - No Details
2008-08-24 17:13:13 Velensk Ardus p () p () - / - No Details
2008-08-24 17:10:07 Velensk Ardus p () p () - / - No Details
2008-08-24 17:03:06 wudi tmarxell p () p () - / - Download Details
2008-08-24 16:39:09 Velensk Ardus p () p () - / - No Details
2008-08-24 16:20:16 marico Hagbart p () p () - / - Download Details

I saw some other games was deleted. Do i withdraw them by myself?
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Cernunnos wrote:Hey all,

@eyerouge, you've given an example in your last news over the effects of reports done in the wrong order, /../
because when it'll go back to normal everybody will post his victories at the same time....

Last, do you know when it'll come back to normal? =)
Replay upload when reporting has been temporarily shut off and it will remain to be disabled until the host has solved the problems. So, please don't upload any replays - you will notice when it's been enabled again, and we'll also announce it in here.

where to report the games
Reporting should work now but I can't guarantee it will do so all the time until the host has solved the problems. Hence:

1. Try to report as usual, using the site. If and only if that fails...

2. then write down the proper time (HH:mms) in the same timezone as the site uses, which probably is pacfic standard time, and do so in the 24h format. Save this info, along with who the winner and loser was, in a readable file. Once we announce the site is working properly again you're welcome to mail the results to me and I'll add them correctly into our database, with the proper timestamps. That will in result generate a correct rating for everyone, as it would if the site would have worked.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience but there's really nothing I can do about it since I'm not hosting the site myself.

The host just recently acknowledged the problem and it's now a matter of being at the web server physically and taking care of it. I can't give any dates since they can't, but will post as soon as I have an update.

Meanwhile regular usage of the site should be possible, I think. ;)
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

wudi wrote: Do i withdraw them by myself?
Yes. Please do so if you are the winner. If you were the loser however you can do it as well by contesting the result, but in such cases it's also preferable that the winner withdraws it and that you only contest the result if he refuses/fails to do so.