Ladder Site Online...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

soul_steven

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by soul_steven »

Howling Lands
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

Guys is there any way we can make this new site more pulically known? I still have people coming up to me with no clue of the new site since many people never log into the forums. Perhaps a message of the day thing for a while so people are more aware its there? just my two cents.

edit: Soliton says a MOTD would be fine. What do you want it to say?

Also you should write a news announcement on the ladder home page explaining to these people what happened since they don't read the forums, and ask them to make sure their friends are aware of the change.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Perhaps make a game called "all ladder players come here for an urgent message" with some labels describing the situation

edit: Soliton says a MOTD is okay. What do you want it to say?

Also you should definitely write a news announcement on the ladder home page explaining to these people what happened since they don't read the forums. And in the news post, ask them to help spread the word.

As it stands, the people who you tell might think it's common knowledge and they are "just now" finding out. You need to let them know that it's not well known and they need to tell their friends who play on the ladder.
Idefix

Post by Idefix »

At the very least, the wesnoth wiki should be updated.
chains

Post by chains »

Also you should write a news announcement on the ladder home page.

I Believe Rigor or Master of Battle can do this.

A Motd message could say, "The unofficial competitive gaming ladder can now be found at http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info".

A wiki update is fine, but if you really want people to be able to find the ladder, you should invest the effort in giving the ladder a DO follow link so that it appears in Google results. So, when confused players search for "Wesnoth Ladder" the ladder actually appears.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Idefix wrote:At the very least, the wesnoth wiki should be updated.
Good catch, done.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

csarmi wrote:You should set a lower elo limit instead of top20 (which is something that always changes). Make it 2000, for example.
I had some doubts about this. But I had my mind open, and after hear this idea from several people and check that others just dont opose to it, I have decided take 2000 as limit to record games. It is really a limit players will understand easy and will simplify a little my job to detect wich games record.

I have changed name of add on due to this. Ladder_Top20 becomes deprecated and will be deleted 1st January of 2012. From now add on for ladder stats will be Ladder2000.

I beg pardon for give confuse information and change of plans. My idea was start this projects and use first month to decide definitive target it will have.

EDIT: For info and feedback http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35680

I have checked games of this month 2000+ elo to record those I didnt. I found these ones with incomplete report and no save:
http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A12%3A46
http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A58%3A55
http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A29%3A03

All of them are plk2 vs Diggy. If any of players or obs could give complete report would help me :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

When is the bug with making comments with an apostrophe going to get fixed?

also, I couldn't upload a replay because it was too big (240KB, attached below)

rigor, could you clean up my account by deleting all the withdrawn games by chance? =x
Attachments
cack vs kolbur onis.gz
(239.4 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
BillWallace

Post by BillWallace »

Hi, quick general ladder question. I am new to the ladder and I have not found quite enough information on how to host games. I read the ladder faq, and read the part about starting a game with (L), but I am still a little confused. I gather there's an add-on map pack that should be used but I heard two different ones, an RBY and Random Map Picker. Should I use one or both? A really brief tutorial would be very helpful.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

the bug with the apostrophe is reported to chains but i cant tell u when its going to be fixed. probably after the holidays is my first guess.

welcome wallace, you can use any map you want to play the ladder. the ladder pack RMP has developed from the addon "random map picker" that was developed a long time ago by ... grrr, correct me if im wrong, then the maintainer changed to quetzalcoatl, then to pionsix, while quetzalcoatl made his own addon, RBY. the reason for this is in short words a disaggreement what should be included and what not. therefore, a ladder forum was created to discuss, improve, maintain and finally change the map selection for the community. link: http://laddercouncil.proboards.com/ as you can imagine, this is a more lengthy process in contrast to a one-person decision.

RBY has therefore a more frequent maintenance, while the RMP is changed only after long consultations and votes on the second ladder forum. you could say that it is more bureaucratic and slower in updates while RBY is more modern. however, there are also some other differences in between those versions, such as no mirror games, and a more limited map pool which some people prefer over a larger range of maps which are also cool but require some time to be accepted.

in fact the mappack was supposed to be THE standard in ladder play to provide a fair environment for everybody who plays. although not a real rule, it would provide the same winning chances over a long period of time if everybody used it. but due to the situation that the mappack is already fragmented, that means, you can take a set that you prefer to another (for instance, conservative, consisting of only a few well known maps), you play with favored maps already. so dont get a headache about what you pick to play. use maps you feel comfortable with in the beginning and, who knows, maybe you wil try the adventurous set one day! :) ah yes, you can host the game with (L) or wwrite ladder or write even more text if you want. it should just be clear that its going to be one. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
BillWallace

Post by BillWallace »

Ok, so the name of the game that you host does not have to conform exactly to something specific, it just has to be clear that it is a ladder game. And the host can choose a particular map or any of the map randomizers, as long as it ends up on a ladder approved map.

Is that correct?

I still suggest that this little bit of information is included in the ladder faq. Thank you very much for your help.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Game Setup
3. The name of the game must start with the prefix (L) or (Ladder). It's recomended but not mandatory to let it be followed by ladder.subversiva.org and don't forget your ladder nick & your Elo rating. The ranking may be rounded to nearest hundredth (1545 becomes 1500). An example of a ladder game name according to the above would be: (L) ladder.subversiva.org (eyerouge 1600) Another example is: (L) doodle 1545 vs Rick 1800
At least the name question is clear enough in the FAQ, I think.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
AtLeastCapri

Post by AtLeastCapri »

I am also a newcomer and found it confusing what maps I was allowed to use for ladder. Also it says to download the add-on "Map Updates by Doc Paterson" which no longer seems to exist, the main source of my confusion. An FAQ update would probably help future newbs out (=
Radh

Post by Radh »

I'm thinking about joining the ladder, since I completed all of the mainline campaigns and some user-created (on normal difficulty, but it does get boring to do it again), and was wondering if the ladder can direct me to some newer and more inexperienced players like myself, so I don't get too discouraged when I get brutally defeated by an experienced player.

Does it allow for that kind of support?
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Radh wrote:I'm thinking about joining the ladder, since I completed all of the mainline campaigns and some user-created (on normal difficulty, but it does get boring to do it again), and was wondering if the ladder can direct me to some newer and more inexperienced players like myself, so I don't get too discouraged when I get brutally defeated by an experienced player.

Does it allow for that kind of support?

well, just play vs people that are ranked below 1500...
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236