The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ylmson

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by ylmson »

There is no number, find the word "fencer" in macros/enemy.cfg. It's a block of [unit] code copied twice to make two fencers.

Mabuse: regarding units-in-the-void, handling it automatically might require a bit too much modification since not all teleports are done with macro. However, my original idea was to make a new right-click menu that says something like "get me out of void" which will teleport unit back to the flagship (perhaps make a "void gate" there). You can also set up a "void gate" at the bottom of Gaol to pull everybody in the void out, to deal with a leader intentionally hiding in the void.

Of course, there are two problems: side with no flagship, and abusing the feature to teleport unit to flagship. So an alternative solution is to teleport back to the player's starting location near Gaol.

As to implementation, I don't currently have time for it now, but I'm sure you can find everything you need for the right-click menu in A New Land Era. Good luck! :)
"You may draw, even if you are no artist, and all you have is mspaint and a touchpad."
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

will see if i implement something like that, maybe the units hanging in the void will be teleported back to the starting islands of the certain players

but anyway, that doesnt fix intentional "spam voiding", so its no high priority -
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
ylmson

Post by ylmson »

What exactly is the problem of "spam voiding" anyways? I read some of the posts but it seems to me that you need significant amount gold to do anything real meaningful instead of just trying something funny. Maybe if you can provide some specific cases where malicious "spam voiding" is a serious problem, then I can help figure out a solution for it.
"You may draw, even if you are no artist, and all you have is mspaint and a touchpad."
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ylmson wrote:What exactly is the problem of "spam voiding" anyways?
that the possibility exists
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

I just downloaded the v4 version but I don't know where I need to place it in order to play. Can anyone help me out?
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Slight update, i just copied Governors"scroll-fix" over the Files
so that the scrolling Bug is fixed
HI !

The High Seas Naval Battle Version 4.0

Simply extract the Files in this Archive into your ...\Wesnoth 1.4\userdata\data\campaigns - Folder, and restart Wesnoth
HF

Changes contain:
--------------------------

- buy Frigates at Shipyard (cost 100 Gold, 100HP, 8-5 ranged Impact, 20-1 ranged pierce, 9 Movement)
- buy Galleons at Shipyard (cost 250 Gold, 120HP, 10-8 ranged Impact, 6-4 ranged pierce, 10 Movement)
these Ships cannot be boarded and cannot carry Cargo
- buy Transport Ship at Shipyard (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)
the Transport Ship can be boarded, it CANNOT carry Crgo, and you can have only one at a Time
(it can be also boarded by Enemies, and also Flying AI Units or Pirates)

- Leader can buy Frigates/Galleons at Shipyard
- Leader can buy a new Flag-Ship with all former Upgrades to your Fleet in Case you lost your FlagShip for 250 Gold
- Leader can buy Transport Ship at Shipyard (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)
the Transport Ship can be boarded, it CANNOT carry Cargo, and you can have only one at a Time

- Leader can buy Transport Ship at TradingPort (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)
the Transport Ship can be boarded, it CANNOT carry Cargo, and you can have only one at a Time

- if Leader dies, you may select a new Unit as a Leader (by right clicking it and chose "Make New Captain")
as long you have a FlagShip and as long the Unit is at least at Level 2 (credits to Dratsab)

- Slave Net is no longer available, instead 2 Slavemarkets were added, one is in Ramar,
and the other is in Uridad, a complete new City to plunder and occupy !
To be able to transport Slaves you have to buy a Slavecage in the Shipyard

- Pirate Ship got a 10-2 ranged attack, and board 2 Fencers now

- 3 Temples are available, there are now 3 Temples on the Map, one in North, one in South and one in the West
They are well guarded and provide 1000 Gold cash on Hand if raided

- 4 Forts are available, two in North and two in South
They are medium/low guarded and provide 300 Gold cash on Hand if raided and contain a practice dummy

- all Ships have a RAM Attack now (melee)

- Ram Spike makes double damage (+1 strike)

- additional Gangplank cost 75 Gold now

- entry for Transport Ship fixed (behind Gangplank now)

- Banks provide 500 Gold cash on Hand if raided

- slight changes for Estiban Gaol

- more Settings for Games with Higher Victory Points, since 50 Points can be reached pretty quickly
(recommended is 100 to 200)

- scrolling Bug fixed (credits to Governor)

- Villages provide 1 Gold income
(which is helpful, but still Raids and Trading are main Income Source)
note here: Goods can be only carried by a Flagship, so this is most important,
if Flagship is sunk, you can only raid Temples, Forts and Banks for better income
(and then buy a new one)

- slighty toned down Price development for Goods. Still very good Profits can be made.

If you look for High Profits sell at:
Rum: Frodom, Alsom, Slatham
Jewels: Quati, Negal, Ramar
Spice: ----
Slaves: Frodom, Alsom

If you look for Medium Profits sell at:
Rum: Trutt, Ravin
Jewels: Wurdle, Mandor, Ganton, Uridad
Spice: Quati, Negal, Frodom
Slaves: Slatham, Ravin

all other is exspected to be low Profit for the certain Resources

Buy here (Production Plants):
Rum: Quati, Negal
Jewels: Frodom, Slatham
Spice: Wurdle, Trutt
Slaves: Ramar, Uridad

Locations with Production Plants are "below low" Profit for that Resource that is produced there.

so for example around Turn 25 you can exspect to sell your Rum for around 75 Gold per Barrel in Slatham
which makes an income of 1200 Gold if you sell 16 Barrels (well, not exactly, since the price will drop by two per barrel sold, but still its impressive)

- Prices for other Equipment changed a bit. Some Stuff is very useful, so check it out.
And dont forget to buy additional Cargo-Space for the certain resource if you wanna raid something ;)

HF with this nice Game from Bob the Mighty
Attachments
The_High_Seas_Naval_BattleV41.zip
(50.76 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

TheArchitect wrote:I just downloaded the v4 version but I don't know where I need to place it in order to play. Can anyone help me out?
well, just extract the ZIP into your "Wesnoth 1.4\userdata\data\campaigns"-Folder.
If you have Windows XP. If you dont have that i dont know exactly, but it has to go to the place where allother add-ons are installed ;)
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

Mabuse wrote:
TheArchitect wrote:I just downloaded the v4 version but I don't know where I need to place it in order to play. Can anyone help me out?
well, just extract the ZIP into your "Wesnoth 1.4\userdata\data\campaigns"-Folder.
If you have Windows XP. If you dont have that i dont know exactly, but it has to go to the place where allother add-ons are installed ;)
Which folder is the zip? (sorry, but i'm not very smart when it comes to computers :cry:)
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

nvm, I worked things out. Thanks for the help
Faello

Post by Faello »

I'm playing hot seat High Seas game with my brother, we are playing 2vs2vs2 and we've decided to control every player to research this mod possibilities as fast as it is possible. My opinion:

It's awesome mod, it gave Wesnoth new level of depth with all these trading, skills, upgrading flagship, building fleet, raiding locations etc. options - I believe that with good players and 100 or 200 victory points limit ( which are only good limits to fully experience pleasure from playing High Seas imo ) this is the typical session-type-of-game ( you arrange sessions - once or twice a week to finish game in some period of time ).

I think it's necessary because - with this level of complexity (and I love it!) player move can even take up to 5-7 minutes ( or more :roll: ).

Currently, we're in our game at turn 75 and one full turn in rather quick hot seat game takes 10-15 minutes (so it gives us around 15 hours of playing and one player has around 90 victory points with 200 vp limit at this point)

Now, one turn in High Seas online mp game with 6 players can take helluva lot of time with possible lags ( from my experience 15-20 minutes with averange micromanaging :geek: ) - not to mention that autosave slows game down seriously :x

But, still, I love it - I just believe that to play really epic High Seas game (and I'm playig one :D ) you have to :eng: get 6 reliable players ( no "plz faster" whiners ) commited to play once a week, turn off autosave, pray for minor latency and set 100 vp limit at least.

Sounds improbable, but I think that with such conditions, you can play Wesnoth-game-of-your-life - because this mod - imo - is definitely more interesting that any campaign or classic wesnoth mp game I played before.

I've just some propositions and questions to creators:

- why units in the mod don't have attributes ( fast, strong, etc. ) ?

- is there any possibility to add some unique locations ( 1 or 2 ) where you could recruit unique ( for this map ) type of units ?

For example elven fighters ( I think that with their head bands they match pirate look perfectly :D ) or get powerful items for your captain ( maybe it would be cool to give player a possibility to get some quests with such units/items as rewards or just give them - for example in forts - possibility to chose between gold and some fancy unique unit or item )

- could you add elven captain & elven ranger to the captains roster ? :)

- it would be cool to give captains a possibility to slightly boost their attack power, hp, line of sight by some items ( I've to add here that I love diving suit - that sumbmerge ability saved once my captains ass :mrgreen: )

- some rumors in taverns regarding goods prices would be helpful

In the end some things I learned from this longterm High Seas game:

- flagship of the player that lands in Trutt is usually a target of the AI sea units in the first few turns so it's quite vulnerable position if other players know about it
- it's good to not sell aquired goods too fast because when their price will skyrocket you can get much more gold for them
- in the longterm perspective, it's much wiser to keep money in the bank (some large sum, like 500 gp at least) than to rob the bank - 4% income from 1000gp is a lot :geek: - you just need to keep some unit near it to cash in and withdraw from account - it may sound funny, but player that controls the bank can pop out galleons and raise a lot of soldiers in short period of time so if you're not the strongest one on the board, it's better to rob it :D

SUMMARY:
- minor flaws, awesome possibilities (for ex. managing flagship interior) similar to Heroes of Might&Magic system of reinforcing your army and high level of complexity with pirate flavour makes it the best Wesnoth mod ever in my opinion - I give it 9/10 rating and I seriously believe it can reach 10.
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hi !
good suggestions,

about the time-"problem":

1) better play with 4 Players (slots 1,2,4,5 ... or whatever)
2) i am a fan of a timelimit, 210secs per turn is ok (makes still about 15min per turn at max - with 4 players .. i prefer to play with 4 Players, makes the game faster + less lag-propability). sure, also my turn may end sometimes before i finished, but thats the game. set priorities. the game already takes long, i agree, but it is worth it - imo

its really something different thn the "average" wesnoth-game.
however, the time can be also a downfall though

in any case in my game there will be always a time-limit :D, and usually 4 Players
(i would even set it to 180secs)

if the game is laggy, it is unplayable, becasue it will be all delayed and there is no real flow
Faello wrote: I've just some propositions and questions to creators:
- why units in the mod don't have attributes ( fast, strong, etc. ) ?
dont know. also i sometimes miss them when i search for "my strong guy" to kill a certain unit :D

i didnt change that so far, but it can be surely implemented
Faello wrote: - is there any possibility to add some unique locations ( 1 or 2 ) where you could recruit unique ( for this map ) type of units ?
yes, i also thought about that -
for example a small hut (or 2 small huts) where you may get a shaman or something -
(well, it may heal ships - i wouldnt be annoyed by that though - but get ready for some discussions with people who may find that "unrealistic" - in any case repairing ships would be one of their main tasks :D)

also in the recruiting places of therw towns there could be in each town a "unique" (more or less unique - since so many units are not to chose from) unit
(maybe - need to think about that - for sure th)

and that reminds me that i also wanted to expand "Estiban Gaol", by now its just a place you never want to go :D
Faello wrote: For example elven fighters ( I think that with their head bands they match pirate look perfectly :D ) or get powerful items for your captain ( maybe it would be cool to give player a possibility to get some quests with such units/items as rewards or just give them - for example in forts - possibility to chose between gold and some fancy unique unit or item )
make suggestions for Items :D

i am so uncreative with that. the thing is always, if we make an item so strong that first one gets it wins game, or do we make it so weak that it is basically useless. additionally this may require testgames and balancing.

but make a suggestion, then i may see what i can do about the balance.
Faello wrote: - could you add elven captain & elven ranger to the captains roster ? :)
sure, but then everybody who ever downloaded HIGH Seas, need to have "the new" era, and that would minimize the number of people who can play

by now its ok, if you download HIGH Seas from add-on server to play a game with the MOD

so its no big deal to do it, but it may have disadvantages (on the other hand, you can always start a game with the "old" era anyway .. so .. why not)
Faello wrote: - it would be cool to give captains a possibility to slightly boost their attack power, hp, line of sight by some items ( I've to add here that I love diving suit - that sumbmerge ability saved once my captains ass :mrgreen: )
ah well, maybe i put some of this minor items in some Temples and Forts additionally to the Treasure
Faello wrote: - some rumors in taverns regarding goods prices would be helpful
yes, may be added. it would appear simply on the screen where you can choose the units, no need to pay for it or something. (or maybe pay :D .. like 5 bucks or something - ), in markets this could be also available

on the other hand you can also estimate a bit, but rumors (also other type of rumors) can be added
lastdragon

Post by lastdragon »

this rocks cool map bob :lol2:
lord_midnight

Post by lord_midnight »

I think this has to be one of the best Mods for wesnoth, and if you don't mind, Im going to Mod it.

I love this Map/Scenario, but I really wish you could play it as a "Survival" type map, where all players can be on the same team, currently if this is done, the game endsw after player 1 makes the first Move, as there are no more enemy commanders.

My Mod of this Mod will be a Coop style game, Ive ran a few using a workaround, but it would be much better to have a 'natural' version.

I'm going rip liberally from this on a Campaign Im doing as well, so many things are implemented. It will be a bit down the road, Im still learning WML, but this is on my list of projects.

A couple of things I noticed, it causes OOS errors when you rescue prisoners in Gaol. The pirates are very, very overpowered unless you team up with other players against them. Gaol should have a shipyard. Even if it just sells flagships. As it is now, if you manage to raid gaol at the beginning, when you are done, you have no ship to escape, the Pirates destroy it, pulling off this task should not make you lose. The training dummy should give a little more XP, maybe 3-4 instead of 2 as it is now, it just takes way too long, perhaps make it like rigging or cannons, a unit can be assigned to train, and will do so automatically each turn.

I am learning a lot from this, in terms of WML, and in just playing. This is a beautiful thing, I hope I am able to learn alot from it, and create things just as great.

Lord Ash Midnight
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

- coop makes no sense (against whom anyway ? - the MOW ?)
- no, the MOWs and Pirates are not overpowered
- no, give gaol a shipyard makes no sense

but feel free to do it, i just say your mod dont make much sense for me
Faello

Post by Faello »

Seconded - imo survivals suck but that's not the point here :mrgreen: - point is I cannot even imagine how you could create good survival game on this map :hmm:

MOW's are not overpowered and players have possibilities to survive early MOW attack ( you just need to THINK - use pilot skill, buy nautical maps, disengage asap if odds are against you, repair ship in shipyard etc. )

I've noticed that players concentrate to much efforts on killing MoW's , pirate ships, sea monsters etc. while they should try to go for villages, raid some mine or plantation, get some serious money etc.

Fighting MoW in the first few turns of game ( and especially during day ) is just pure stupidity, because you're risking:
- your captain ( his death = end of the game )
- your ship's crew ( lvl 0 full crew, without additional gun places is worth 88gp iirc )
- your flagship ( 250gp ) you won't get another one too quickly...
- your landing party ( x gp )
- your possibilities of military development ( other players are not sleeping )

And all of these just for 4 VP :wink:
Mabuse wrote:Hi !
good suggestions,

about the time-"problem":

(...)
2) i am a fan of a timelimit, 210secs per turn is ok (makes still about 15min per turn at max - with 4 players .. i prefer to play with 4 Players, makes the game faster + less lag-propability). sure, also my turn may end sometimes before i finished, but thats the game. set priorities. the game already takes long, i agree, but it is worth it - imo
(...)

in any case in my game there will be always a time-limit :D, and usually 4 Players
(i would even set it to 180secs)
Seconded, time limit here is necessary and it will keep players in front of their computers which is how High Seas game should be played - with no unnecessary delays.
Mabuse wrote:yes, i also thought about that -
for example a small hut (or 2 small huts) where you may get a shaman or something -
(well, it may heal ships - i wouldnt be annoyed by that though - but get ready for some discussions with people who may find that "unrealistic" - in any case repairing ships would be one of their main tasks :D)
Not bad idea, but it would be a powerful addition to the fleet, so their hut should be heavily defended in such case 8)
Mabuse wrote:also in the recruiting places of therw towns there could be in each town a "unique" (more or less unique - since so many units are not to chose from) unit
(maybe - need to think about that - for sure th)
Yeah, it would give additional flavour to the game, good idea !
Mabuse wrote:and that reminds me that i also wanted to expand "Estiban Gaol", by now its just a place you never want to go :D
Yeah, imo it should be ultimate raiding place with ultimate treasury.
Mabuse wrote: make suggestions for Items :D
Maybe some holy pendants ( to make raiding ancient temples a lil' bit easier ) and maybe some items giving non-mechanical units good attack against ships ( mechanical units )

For captains maybe something like basic different type of weapons to buy, some items to give them invisibility in the forest or additional movement ( boots ) but it's not a priority here - if they advance, they gain another skill point so they do well with what they have right now :)
Mabuse wrote: sure, but then everybody who ever downloaded HIGH Seas, need to have "the new" era, and that would minimize the number of people who can play
"The new" era ? You mean another release of the mod ? Well there's no point to put them into maintenance release, but it would be cool if you could put them into another stable release with other major changes :)
Mabuse wrote: yes, may be added. it would appear simply on the screen where you can choose the units, no need to pay for it or something. (or maybe pay :D .. like 5 bucks or something - ), in markets this could be also available

on the other hand you can also estimate a bit, but rumors (also other type of rumors) can be added
Sure you can estimate, but new players will not know probably how the prices system works here, so 5gp for some tips is worth it :)
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.