Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aceman
Translator

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.9)

Post by aceman »

When talking to the goblins above city of Borol there is "Begin at once on the farm, and I will prey tolerance will prevail." Should have been "pray" probably.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

aceman wrote:The gryphon spell is working fine, in 0.5.8. I have tested it now. Sorry for misleading you.

How did you fix the report from Bob "- The tavern place in Hayshore run by Yoll has Argo Armour for sale." ? Have you moved the armour to the armory shop so that there are 2 pieces available? Or you did simply remove it, so that there is only 1 available in the whole map?
Good question. :o I thought I just removed it, but it looks like I never did anything about it after all. Frankly I don't think it's much of a problem, so I might just leave it as it is. Or remove it and give Grundy two of them.

And while we're on the topic of items; there's plenty of space for all sorts of new items, so if you have an idea for an item which would be a good addition, then feel free to tell me. It's really easy for me to add new items or even entire shops, but it's something I haven't really paid much attention yet.
shisui

Post by shisui »

Bug report --

When any mage talks to Gerridan, there is no exit from the dialogue
(except to quit Wesnoth or kill the Wesnoth process).

Using Brotherhood of Light v. 0.5.9 in Wesnoth 1.8.0 (not 1.8.1).
On Mac OS X 10.6.3 Intel 4core x 64bit.

Edit: Same problem with meeting Baron Grinn. Yet, this problem did not occur with previous meetings. Peraps the save file has become corrupted ?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

shisui wrote:Bug report --

When any mage talks to Gerridan, there is no exit from the dialogue
(except to quit Wesnoth or kill the Wesnoth process).

Using Brotherhood of Light v. 0.5.9 in Wesnoth 1.8.0 (not 1.8.1).
On Mac OS X 10.6.3 Intel 4core x 64bit.

Edit: Same problem with meeting Baron Grinn. Yet, this problem did not occur with previous meetings. Peraps the save file has become corrupted ?
Sorry, my bad. It seems I was simply careless when I made those dialogues such that you could ask multiple questions per discussion. :| I already fixed the problem locally and I'll get the new version uploaded ASAP (that is, definitely in the next 24 hours). However, if you want to continue using your current saves then you can also post your savefile and I can fix it for you (not a big task).
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Uploaded 0.6.0.

Due to the abovementioned major bugs this is a bit more hasty release that I would have liked, meaning that I didn't have time to add everything I would have liked (such as at least one new spell).

Code: Select all

Version 0.6.0

- Fixed a bug causing dialogue with Gerridan, Baron Grinn and Talena the
      Fortune Teller to get stuck.
    - Made combat perks also affect attacks that are gained afterwards.
    - Added both a new melee perk and a new ranged perk to learn in Kaspian's
      training camp.
    - All players now receive XP for finding a lost brother.
    - Made players unable to cast spells when petrified.
aceman
Translator

Post by aceman »

I think I have a new bug:
In the lava mountain, the party of red mages gives us some items in a sack. The dialogue contains this:
_Brimstones
+50% resistance to cold attacks

Is the underscore correct?
aceman
Translator

Post by aceman »

When talking to king Lyodus after defeating the orcs, he is called Lyodun in one sentence.
The king then presents 4 chests to the mages. The chests appear below him. But there was already one open chest before that, which gets now covered by a new closed one. It looks ugly.
aceman
Translator

Post by aceman »

"- Made players unable to cast spells when petrified."
This seems logical, but it can radically change strategy in Glimero caverns. A petrified mage can really help support other mages, even reanimate a killed mage, which if left alone by the enemies (by blocking them elsewhere) could regenerate and kill the main boss, thus winning the quest. I have experienced this:)

Also, a dummy mage created by illusion can get petrified. But it still disappears after one turn. Is that correct? Probably yes, but it also can change the gameplay. Somebody could want to use petrified dummies to block the paths in Glimero to slow down enemies.

I have encountered situations, when a petrified mage could not be unpetrified, it was not offered in the menu. The same with reanimate spell.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

A few bugs:
Casting Enchant followed by Toxic makes Enchant permanent. This can be repeated indefinitely: I have a mage doing 96-4 damage.
An elvish rider killed the librarian.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

0.6.1 released and on the add-on server. Thanks for everyone who has reported bugs!

Version 0.6.1

- Fixed a bug causing the ending to never trigger even when all the lost
      brothers had been found.
    - Fixed a bug causing Ultar to not disappear when he should.
    - Fixed a bug which made 'Enchant' permanent if it was followed by 'Toxic'.
    - Fixed Talena the Fortune Teller telling two empty fortunes.
    - Made Talena able to repeat the previously told fortunes for free.
    - Made the new and previously unmentioned 'Gust' spell be buyable from
      Hellur instead of being automatically available.
    - Changed the player attack stats from 4-2/7-3 to 6-2/6-3 as a White Mage
      and from 5-3/10-3 to 6-3/9-3 as a Mage of Light.
If anyone has started a game using 0.6.0 and wants to finish it but can't due to the bug mentioned first on the above list, you can do this in order to allow you to end the scenario by visiting Maldor:

:debug
:set_var brothers=4
aceman
Translator

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.6.1)

Post by aceman »

Some ideas to expand the game, as zookeeper kindly requested:
  1. more/stronger enemies in the wild. But I understand it may cause the mages to level up more quickly and thus making the other quests easier.
  2. siege/battle around a city. The cities are nicely fortified/developed but this is unused in the game. Make something happen in a city. Something like the orcish war on the map top.
  3. some quest in the top right corner of the map, accessible over the frozen river using snow shoes.
  4. wild enemies popping up randomly even in already visited (cleaned up) areas (trolls, wolves replicate naturally). Maybe in lower quantities than at first visit.
  5. provide a way to also open the second cage with prisoner of the bandits (left map edge) later in the game. E.g. they encounter a solution on the opposite side of the map.
  6. a larger map.
  7. make something happen at the hole in the ground. (Maybe there is something but I haven't found out).
  8. stronger bosses in the individual quests.
  9. make the world react to actions of the mages. Something like if the bad bosses had knowledge about each other and when one of them is killed by the mages, some other one does something, like
    trying to revenge him in a raid against the city where the mages tell about their victory. See point 2.
  10. change Gryphon spell to avoid using the gryphon to scout/reveal new terrain. Also, summoning the gryphon to attack enemies and get slaughtered (repeatedly) may not be nice from the point of view of the Code of the brotherhood. The gryphon could be used to peacefully transport units to already revealed terrain. If it is not possible to choose precise hex, it could be used to fly to predefined cities/spots (as mages can). While flying, it would be invisible (not revealing terrain), and not able to get attacked. Simply - teleport for other units.
  11. make something more dramatic/effectful happen at the end. Not just some plain words from the master :)
  12. couldn't come up with any new artifacts or spells to add. I don't thing they are necessary. E.g. I haven't used the poison trap spells once. I think casual players can't encompass all the possibilities and combinations to use all the spell efficiently. Maybe the poison traps could be used when fleeing some large army hunting the mages... But there is no such situation.
GreatSirUtnut

Post by GreatSirUtnut »

Alarantalara wrote:Casting Enchant followed by Toxic makes Enchant permanent. This can be repeated indefinitely: I have a mage doing 96-4 damage.
So that's why I was at 22-5...
When I was at 22-5, if I cast Enchant again, I went down to 6-5. (I didn't try casting Toxic with it.) I think this is too low (below what it should be without the Enchant/Toxic bug).

(Note: I played this 1 player (I turned the other three slots to "empty" on the setup), meaning that I think I missed lots of dialogue that other players would have said.)
I'm also playing 1.6.5 on Fedora 11 if it makes a difference.

The bugs/suggestions:

I never saw anywhere what the Code of the Brotherhood was, and was therefore left guessing about what was right and wrong. (This may have because the other mages were missing.) Perhaps put this in the instructions on the right-click?

In the caves, my mage said "I will never attack a brother," then proceeded to kill Ultar. He also attacked the brother that hid in the mountain (Romas?) without hesitation.

In the final dialogue with the evil Q guy (I don't remember his name), there were several references to Ultar being there, then becoming a spirit. He didn't have any lines himself (presumably because I killed him) but it seemed like he would have been talking, and how would he become a spirit if he were already dead?

Towards the end, the mouse-over-help-text in the right column for "perks, items, magic" got so long it ran off the end of the screen. I couldn't see my items, and it took much longer to check my mana (clicks are more annoying than mouseovers). Could each help-text be individual (a separate one for each of the three helpable topics), or could there be some way of starting it at the top of the screen instead of at the mouse once it starts running off the bottom?

Because I was alone, if I was turned to stone, I couldn't turn myself back. (I had to load an auto-save every time that happened.) This made the elf encounter terrifying and the caves harder. I guess in a multiplayer game it makes sense that you couldn't unstone yourself, but would there be a way to make that possible if there's only one person? (At least if your going solo. If you're in a party, but you're the only survivor, maybe it should be as it is now.)

The gryphon (sp?) chased after a troll once I found its cave, and killed itself fighting. I sold its eggs, but I couldn't complete the quest. (Also, was I supposed to get a pair of eggs from the thieves and a pair from the nest? Because I took unbroggen eggS from the thieves, and stole the eggS from the nest (because I couldn't complete the quest), but was only able to sell a pair once.

You should give higher experience awards for being good. 10 experience is not worth it for the gold you can get by being mean. (Or make items cheaper, see below.)

I levelled up a few times, then became nearly invincible. Perhaps you should make it take longer to become overpowered. What if you start as mages (but are forced to become white mages)? Or raise the experience required to level?

When in the sell menu at a shop, I could have sold something for 47.5 gold. (Or some other non-integral number, I don't remember exactly. It was in Hayshore.) I didn't test to see what would have happened.

If you use the data: Going solo it took 544 turns.

This was an excellent game. Thank you!
Nevino1

Post by Nevino1 »

i thought it was great :) but the part with king lyodos was really hard i barely survived those orcs but all in all it was great
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Minor update:

Version 0.6.2

- Fixed messed up speakers when freeing Ultar.
    - Fixed unintended vision sharing with Max, Rilly and Jippo's goblins.
Haven't really had much time for anything else, so all the bigger changes will have to wait a bit more.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Alarantalara wrote: An elvish rider killed the librarian.
This happened to me too when I was playing it a couple days ago with what I think was the newest version.