Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AlaskanAvenger

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.6.2)

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

Found a bug where once you have leveled you can get a free mana refill + 4 mana cap just by looking at the leveling options. this allows you to get an infinite supply of mana and never run out if you so wish.
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

Thanks for developing (and maintaining) this excellent add-on! Yesterday I finally got a chance to play through it, and it was worth it those ~10 hours spent :-)
Some errors our team encountered:
  • we're not sure what exactly caused that, but effect of casting haste in some cases was permament, one of our brothers managed to get 9 MP this way from initial 5. It first happened in the final cave, so this issue may be connected with petrify/slow/poison effects on the hexes (maybe haste and then get petrified?)
  • if you order a mage to walk to and attack from a petrifying hex (walk command with the attacking arrow), he will step on it, get petrified and obviously won't attack. What's worse, the button "End turn" will be greyed out for you. (We fixed this by giving the control over the petrified mage to another player, he was able to end turn)
  • one of our many summoned gryphons thorough the game caused an OOS error (thankfully harmless). I saw my summoned gryphon disappear after one turn and the other player saw it just still flying there. However, it was out of our area of interest in that time (around entrance to the final cave) and at one point later we were forced to reload from his save (replays take very long with this map and I got dc'd). From this time on I also saw (and could control) this mysterious gryphon, which got permament and didn't disappear till the end of the game.
  • training camp - this one was SO irritating! Please explain in the dialogue that you won't be able to use anything again after 4 training sessions or (better) make the shop available always once paid for (don't close it again after training). Our situation was: we paid 200, one player peeked into the shop, told others what's in, other players got trained (and used the 4 training sessions). After that, the player who got trained in ranged combat went to the shop to buy bolas and guess what? He couldn't. :evil:
    We ended up adding in debug mode another 200 gold to us (that's a pile of money) just to buy access to the shop again to buy bolas and not touch anything else (including another 4 training sessions).
  • these allied few goblins on the orc raid island seem to do absolutely nothing (?) - not even goblin farming quest unlocked some dialogue with them.
Well, despite these few glitches, the gameplay was very pleasant, the story epic and the final challenge adequate. Thanks a lot for preparing this add-on for us again! :-)
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

Zaroth wrote:[*]if you order a mage to walk to and attack from a petrifying hex (walk command with the attacking arrow), he will step on it, get petrified and obviously won't attack. What's worse, the button "End turn" will be greyed out for you. (We fixed this by giving the control over the petrified mage to another player, he was able to end turn)
This bug still persists. After walking on a petrifying hex I could no longer walk, attack or end turn on any of the four mages (I was controlling all four).
I got stuck in the game in 3 ways:
* I did not know I had to revisit the elf tree to etch something in it.
* I missed the hermit house despite uncovering most of the map
* I did not trigger the thief ambush for the griphon eggs because my mages took different paths than the one that triggers it. After killing the thief (once I read the code to figure out how to get the eggs) the eggs did not drop?

Interesting game, thanks for making.
mercenary4hire

Post by mercenary4hire »

I found this over my Christmas break and love it! Now I am stuck.... I have gone almost everywhere and am not sure what do do next, so obviously I have missed some things.
I also have a few other questions...

1.I have gotten to the caverns, but I can't figure out how to get in or find the incantation to let me in. I also killed the spider at the door north of hayshore market, but I can't figure out how to get in there ether.

2. I see these lilies around near the monastery, but haven't seen a quest for them. I know they can poison me, but do they do anything else?

3. I saw some people talking about the mountains in the north east corner of the map and they said it was completely impassible. I know this may be considered cheating a bit, but I looked at the whole map in the editor to figure out what to do next and saw there are a couple towers back there, but supposedly I can't get to them? something doesn't make sense to me as to why they would be there then if I can't get to them.

4. I also saw the post about how the fortune teller saying "that which often leads you to roam, is often found close to home." is a village hidden in the mountains near the monastery, but I can't find a village in the mountains near the monastery.

5. and last, I think there is a bug with the gryphon egg quest. I approached the theives from the south and took the eggs, but I can't return them to the mother gryphon, so I can't seem to end the quest.

Any help with any of these would be much appreciated. Thanks! happy new year!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Glad you liked it, and thanks for the feedback.
mercenary4hire wrote: 1.I have gotten to the caverns, but I can't figure out how to get in or find the incantation to let me in. I also killed the spider at the door north of hayshore market, but I can't figure out how to get in there ether.
Spoiler:
mercenary4hire wrote: 2. I see these lilies around near the monastery, but haven't seen a quest for them. I know they can poison me, but do they do anything else?
Spoiler:
mercenary4hire wrote: 3. I saw some people talking about the mountains in the north east corner of the map and they said it was completely impassible. I know this may be considered cheating a bit, but I looked at the whole map in the editor to figure out what to do next and saw there are a couple towers back there, but supposedly I can't get to them? something doesn't make sense to me as to why they would be there then if I can't get to them.
The towers you mention were originally intended to house the ai leaders so they would be trapped and not take part in the scenario. This was a hack which is no longer needed.
mercenary4hire wrote: 4. I also saw the post about how the fortune teller saying "that which often leads you to roam, is often found close to home." is a village hidden in the mountains near the monastery, but I can't find a village in the mountains near the monastery.
Spoiler:
mercenary4hire wrote: 5. and last, I think there is a bug with the gryphon egg quest. I approached the theives from the south and took the eggs, but I can't return them to the mother gryphon, so I can't seem to end the quest.
I think this has been mentioned before, but thanks for flagging it up again.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey, is there any intent to port this over to 1.10 and perhaps even 1.11/1.12?
I already downloaded it from the 1.8 add-on server, hoping that I could fix the few errors appearing myself, but there were more errors than expected, so I gave up.
It would be great, if someone ported this as it was one of the maps I had most fun with.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Paulomat4. Do you remember what errors you came across? Did the errors occur on 1.10 or 1.11? Just so you know, Zookeeper and I are working to update this add-on. Any details would help us porting it across.
My current projects:
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

okay, so
-the teleport function did not work at all
-when you're trying to remove items from the map, (like the gryphon nests) it throws in some text errors on th left top of the screen.
-In the volcano the terrain does not change anymore, once you step on the runes (suppose that it has to do with the remove item error, since it seems to ignore the rest of the code who comes after it).
-I had to change one terrain type (at least for 1.11) it was Ggf.

II gave up pretty soon, but yeah mainly [remove_item] does not seem to work (and you use it a lot naturally) and then the game ignores the rest of the code.

I'd be glad to make a few test runs, once you found most of the errors :)

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, I've updated [removeitem] to [remove_item], [colour_adjust] to [color_adjust] (it's mind-boggling that things like that are even necessary :annoyed:) and the old flowers terrain Ggf to Gg^Efm.

I've applied my new changes to the trunk version of BoL (in the umc-dev repo) for now. However, I've only been working with 1.10 for now, as I want it to work correctly there first before doing any porting to 1.11.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

is it possible for me download it there. I looked, but found no download button :oops:

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Paulomat4 wrote:is it possible for me download it there. I looked, but found no download button :oops:
Probably not... so you can grab this instead. It should now be fully 1.10-compatible, but if you could test it more then that'd be great.

EDIT: Removed attachment.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

okay, first thing that seems weird to me:
at the beginning, i equipped one f my mages with the gauntlet of wind. That was fine, and during his turn he had one attack more. but now, he's back to 1 attack only.
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 4690 times

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Paulomat4 wrote:okay, first thing that seems weird to me:
at the beginning, i equipped one f my mages with the gauntlet of wind. That was fine, and during his turn he had one attack more. but now, he's back to 1 attack only.
Great, thanks; it was caused by the code for toxic (and bane) still using boolean_equals=on in a [variable] check, whereas it seems that at some point on and off were dropped as valid boolean values. So, it thought that toxic was always active and thus decreased strikes by 1 at the end of every turn.

Here's an updated version (with a few other inconsequential tweaks).
Attachments
Brotherhood_of_Light.zip
(589.81 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I gave BoL a test run on 1.10 but it was quite unplayable due to some minor errors (which I've fixed) and an inexplicable lag (which I haven't). In any case, I'll attach my local version: 0.7.1.

Here's what I've done:
Spoiler:
Things that need fixing

1. There is a huge lag at the start of every player's turn. Could it be related to all the code dealing with side turn stuff?

2. The info shown under the magic 'trait' doesn't update properly (i.e. where it lists your mana, recovery and spell levels). I've tried firing the event "update_mana" in the post advance event and ADVANCEMENT_SPELL_OPTION macro, but putting in the latter doesn't seem to work. Would this be because the update_mana event doesn't store the unit, only unstore it? When we've worked out what's going on, we'll have to add it to every place where players might gain new spells and mana items.

Things we could improve

3. On turn 1, could we use [end_turn] once the character design is done? If so, we could get rid of the "end turn" mission objectives.

4. I got an engine warning about an invalid WML array index related to bane_effect[].x. I solved this by setting bane and capture co-ordinates at game start to an inaccessible mountain hex. You might know a better way to handle this.

5. I noticed several todo and fixme notes in the code. Do you have any ideas/plans for these?

6. At the start of a player's turn there are often lots of floating messages, often overlapping and impossible to read. I suggesting removing the ones that notify players of mana recovery.

7. I couldn't work out what the variable 'bol_advancements' is used for. It is set to 0 at the start and increased by 1 on level up, but doesn't seem to be used anywhere else.

8. Is there any difference with underscores in the names of events? I noticed we had "post_advance" and "post advance", but both seem to work fine.

9. Should "data/campaigns/Brotherhood_of_Light/translations" be changed to "~add-ons/Brotherhood_of_Light/translations"?

10. I've added a colour mark-up for the basic perk names to appear in the perk 'trait' mouse-over. I'd like to add these to items and spells as well, providing it doesn't cause problems. I'm guessing it might mess up the possibility of translations.

Further features

11. Could we add custom story images or icons for the individual spells and items? If so, would the use of custom images cause problems for players who have not downloaded the add-on? I'd like to keep it as it is in terms of only the host needing the add-on. Would a missing image cause the game to report an error?

12. Maybe the magic trait should also show how many misc spells a mage knows?

13. Could we randomise the location of things like the yeti, trolls and wolves, and perhaps all the tulips? Something for future editions.

14. Could we allow players a choice of gender, as per usual? Would this cause problems for your tinted portraits?

Things to watch out for

I've collected all the bugs reported on this thread that don't seem to have been dealt with:

15. Can the elvish rider still kill the librarian?
16. "When in the sell menu at a shop, I could have sold something for 47.5 gold."
17. "We're not sure what exactly caused it, but the effect of casting haste in some cases was permanent, one of our brothers managed to get 9 MP this way from initial 5."
18. "If you order a mage to walk to and attack from a petrifying hex (walk command with the attacking arrow), he will step on it, get petrified and obviously won't attack. What's worse, the button "End turn" will be greyed out for you."
19. "I think there is a bug with the gryphon egg quest. I approached the theives from the south and took the eggs, but I can't return them to the mother gryphon, so I can't seem to end the quest."

Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Brotherhood_of_Light_0.7.1.zip
(621.65 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
My current projects:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Gah, I don't know how I missed those [removeitem]s and on/off values. :x Good job.

I went through the changes and only edited a few things here and there. Didn't have time to go through the gold giving rewrite yet, though. I'll commit and reply to the rest tomorrow.