The Archive of HODOR

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: The Archive of HODOR

Post by Pentarctagon »

I have played a couple matches against people who used HODOR, and i have found that having a wose or two really helps because the of it's 40% resistance to impact and 60% against pierce (footpad and poacher, respectively). and at the same time, the footpad and the thief are weak to impact attacks.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Pentarctagon wrote:I have played a couple matches against people who used HODOR, and i have found that having a wose or two really helps because the of it's 40% resistance to impact and 60% against pierce (footpad and poacher, respectively). and at the same time, the footpad and the thief are weak to impact attacks.
At night, backstab will rape a Wose.
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
donkey_noob_trash1

Lathai wrote:Actually a random vs. random, but when I saw I was knalgans with a rogue leader I decided to try out a hodor style.

So, here's a casual hodorism game. I'm pretty new to multiplayer so constructive criticism would be nice. I started off with just thieves and footpads, but when I say drakes I figured poachers might be prudent.
A great replay, and although palloco believe that swarming is an essential element in HODOR (and that you failed to use it), I think that you played very well with your own interpretation of the situation. I love watching other people use HODOR :) Each player has their own unique style...
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:At night, backstab will rape a Wose.
kinda, kinda not. you have to hit all three times to get me to less than half damage, while if i hit you once while attacking then thats about half right there. plus woses regenerate, so some of the damage is mitigated at the next turn.
donkey_noob_trash1

Pentarctagon wrote:
donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:At night, backstab will rape a Wose.
kinda, kinda not. you have to hit all three times to get me to less than half damage, while if i hit you once while attacking then thats about half right there. plus woses regenerate, so some of the damage is mitigated at the next turn.
The problem I have with Wose is their terrain dependence. Get them out of the woods and they are... what... 20 and 30% everywhere? Not so hard to hit 3 of 3 at those odds. Plus, Wose are slow. But if you can block the backstab, yah, they're not a bad unit to have in the mix.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:The problem I have with Wose is their terrain dependence.
Woses on 20%(plains) & 30%(hills) terrain get hit ~1,33 & ~1,17 times more often than a wose on 40%(woods). For comparison, elvish fighters on 40%(plains) & 50%(hills) get hit 1,5 & 1,25 times more often than elvish fighters on 60%(woods), making them more terrain-dependent than wose.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:The problem I have with Wose is their terrain dependence. Get them out of the woods and they are... what... 20 and 30% everywhere? Not so hard to hit 3 of 3 at those odds. Plus, Wose are slow. But if you can block the backstab, yah, they're not a bad unit to have in the mix
actually, hitting 3/3 times on 80% CTO is 51.2%, so it may occur less often that it might seem like it will.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

what? no one is going to point out that wosor will only work at all on small maps? that on any medium or large maps the mobility/sheer numbers of the hodorians will crush the woses to twigs?
donkey_noob_trash1

Pentarctagon wrote:what? no one is going to point out that wosor will only work at all on small maps? that on any medium or large maps the mobility/sheer numbers of the hodorians will crush the woses to twigs?
Well, we HODORians believe that what you are saying is a priori knowledge, and that everyone already knows/ assumes that to be the case :wink:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

yes, but there is almost always someone who will go ahead and state the obvious. there was a thread going a little bit ago in which Turuk stated that orcs in wesnoth are not green :shock: , but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the thread at the moment.
palloco

Post by palloco »

It looks like you are asking for someone to rebate that. Ok, what is the minimum map size in which you think that Wosor won't work. :twisted:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

um, i assume that you meant either refute or debate, but no i do not. i was just stating my surprise that no one posted the obvious truth (excluding the wose-as-a-faction). anyway, stating the obvious or not stating the obvious is completely offtopic in the first place.
Last edited by Pentarctagon on July 12th, 2009, 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Pentarctagon wrote:yes, but there is almost always someone who will go ahead and state the obvious. there was a thread going a little bit ago in which Turuk stated that orcs in wesnoth are not green :shock: , but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the thread at the moment.
Click search link.

Enter "orcs are not green" in keywords.

Enter "Turuk" in author.

Click search button at bottom.

Imagine that, it works....

I was stating the obvious because, given the awareness level displayed by some people who post on the forums, I fully believe that they are unaware of the obvious.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
donkey_noob_trash1

team_HODOR_on_Xanthe.gz
(25.27 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
A new team HODOR victory. It answers several questions- what is a good recruit vs undead as Knalgans, how fast can a group of thieves take down a lvl 2 wose, and do footpads really suck vs skeles?

Stay tuned... more HODOR replays to come.
donkey_noob_trash1

Ok, just one more replay- and I am only putting it on here because it was so epic...

Team HODOR- young David (donkey) plus animekid (save_the_queen) for the win. At first, things look bleak... but after a long, arduous battle... the opponent raises the white flag.

David_and_AnimeKid_on_Daggers.gz
(37.29 KiB) Downloaded 343 times