Dark Forecast - 2p Co-Op survival

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Dark Forecast - 2p Co-Op survival

Post by jb »

Rhuvaen and I have made a 2 player Co-Op survival for 1.3.6. While there is not much story (it's a survival after all) it does have some innovative gameplay...most notably the map changes for various weather conditions and random spawn locations and type. No two games will play alike, making some games more challenging than others. Unlike typical survivals, this one isn't meant to be crazy difficult...you don't need to play a perfect game and hope for luck to do well. The fun is in distributing the XP and advancing units, preparing for the final few boss waves.

I found the most success when playing a "nomadic" style of play, keeping units loose and mobile.

Use Map Settings
-1gpv
-fog
-100% XP

Feedback is always helpful.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
savagust

Post by savagust »

I like that but there is an error on turn 38 : Unknown unit type "Druid".

Weather is interesting but sometimes it would ruin your plan.
It would be good if players can know when there will be a spawn, so injured units can take a rest in villages without risking their lives.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Played it until about turn 32, got a little annoyed at getting spawned on. I'm pretty sure the scenario said I'd only get spawned on if my units were far north/west, but monsters popped up right south of the keep and pwnt me pretty bad.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

jb forgot to say it's on the campaign server. :)

I fixed those last-minute bugs and version 1.1 is now published.

It can also be played in single-player mode by just leaving one position empty, but the spawn balance is somewhat different then (it might be easier or harder at different times during the game compared to the 2-player version).
savagust wrote:It would be good if players can know when there will be a spawn
The spawns appear about every 5 turns with the first group on turn 3. They can appear one turn earlier or later. If you have wounded units near the map edges (except the east), you are always at risk if you don't protect them.
Ken Oh wrote:I'm pretty sure the scenario said I'd only get spawned on if my units were far north/west, but monsters popped up right south of the keep and pwnt me pretty bad.
Actually it said they spawn along the west, north and south map edges, with the west edge being more likely. I changed the wording somewhat to make it clearer. So yes, the south edge is just as dangerous.

This is a lot about deciding when to take chances, and when to play carefully. You ARE taking a chance when you leave your leader near the spawning map edges, for instance.

The spawns are pretty cowardly and immobile in the turn they appear, which lessens the impact of surprise a bit, but they will still try to get in a quick kill if they can.

The weather changes after the AI moves when the players get their turn, so really it's the AI who can't make any plans for the weather.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

A 2 player co-op survival made by jb and rhu.. God, I wish I had 1.3.6 =o
Jami

Post by Jami »

Fairly easy to beat, but fun to play. The gold settings for the map are quite high, reducing GPV (it was something crazy like 10GPV when I played it using the map settings) would add too the challenge level.

The spawns near the end are smaller, but come in increasing frequency. At one point I had four units spawning every turn.

Drakes really rock on this map, especially when under the snowfall effects. Although starting out will be tough, the high GPV and terrain clusters make hit and runs really easy.

All in all, 8/10. It could be harder. ^^
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Jami wrote:Fairly easy to beat, but fun to play. The gold settings for the map are quite high, reducing GPV (it was something crazy like 10GPV when I played it using the map settings) would add too the challenge level.
Um, it's actually 1 gold per village. Early comments were that this was too low, but we kept it.
The spawns near the end are smaller, but come in increasing frequency. At one point I had four units spawning every turn.
This only happens if you outnumber the spawns. Then you get a few extra (which perhaps has the side-effect of feeding you more xp until the final spawns...)

One question: did you play this single? Or with a partner?
(I'm asking because the single player might be way too easy... the primary mode of play is two-player)

If you can PM me a replay, that would be great also. :wink:
TL

Post by TL »

Cool scenario! Just tried it single player controlling both sides (I tried earlier online but couldn't find anyone worth playing with (most people just quit after a couple turns anyhow). Didn't find it to be that difficult but the random spawns and weather certainly added a lot of tension. Getting around in bad weather can be a problem, especially since lack of gold means you can only cover a limited area.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

but there is anybody on the dev/trunk server?
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Sounds fun... any chance of a 1.2.x version?
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

CIB wrote:God, I wish I had 1.3.6 =o
lu_zero wrote:but there is anybody on the dev/trunk server?
Dovolente wrote:Sounds fun... any chance of a 1.2.x version?
It's true, finding opponents on the dev version is a little harder still than 1.2.

I stopped developing for 1.2 for a couple of reasons:

- WML got so much better in 1.3

- 1.2 is going to be outdated as latest stable version in the next six months (I bet)

- 1.3 has IMO reached the point where it's stable, better balanced and more fun and all that than 1.2. More people ought to switch now. :wink:
Chestbursted

Post by Chestbursted »

Hi, I played the map tonight with a friend while using the suggested settings and random races (got Loyalists and Norheners). We had quite bad luck with the dice and our tactics might have been better. We lasted for maybe 30 rounds and were beaten quite badly. We got like 2 full just spawned groups attacking constantly before our leaders died.

The things the leaders say do not seem to fit to the enemies that keep spawning, saying something about beaten by simple villagers, when there are lvl 2 seamonsters, drakes, elves, dwarves, mud monsters etc. It was somewhat contradicting... :shock: The comments added a nice touch to the map though. :)

The weather changes and the random spawns were great, and it was fun to play. Maybe we'll try it again with some better luck and the village income raised to 2. :D

Edit:
I played again, this time with a computer player as an ally, both teams being loyalists with the same settings as before. This map seems to have some serious balance issues or I just am not good enough. First 10 turns or something went quite well, then out of blue enemies started to appear every turn, with 1-3 level 2 units in a patch and my units were cut through like a hot knife through butter. The game ended in about 25 turns in total defeat. The strategies of the AI are not the brightest but still the result ended up being quite like the previous game.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Chestbursted
The things the leaders say do not seem to fit
Well, it is a survival after all, and "story" isn't that important. Perhaps we'll work on something in the future, but I certainly don't think it's a critical flaw at this point.
I played again, this time with a computer player as an ally
:shock: are you crazy? better to play both sides by yourself than let AI have any control over your fate. Also, if you leave a slot empty you can play it as single player and the scenario will self adjust difficulty.
We had quite bad luck with the dice and our tactics might have been better. We lasted for maybe 30 rounds and were beaten quite badly.
You were close to the end. Most people have said it might be too easy, but much of that depends on certain random factors. It is absolutely winnable though, so keep trying. :)
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Thanks for the feedback, Chestbursted! :)
Chestbursted wrote:First 10 turns or something went quite well, then out of blue enemies started to appear every turn, with 1-3 level 2 units in a patch and my units were cut through like a hot knife through butter.
This is a bit vague to decide whether there's an imbalance, a bug, or you're just not good enough (tease, tease...). :wink:

A replay (which is just a savegame - zip it up and attach it to your post here) is better than a thousand words. Please send in a replay...
Chestbursted wrote:The things the leaders say do not seem to fit
I agree. Perhaps they expected to find less resistance? I do agree with jb (in a roundabout way :wink:) that we need to improve the story. :P
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I played this map. It kinda sucked actually. That might actually have more to do with the pathetic play of my ally, so really actually this map might be really good. Go play it yourself... you won't be dissapointed, unless you have jb as an ally... then its going to suck. Might as well go as the Hodor & midgets, rename all your units... oh wait, that joke isn't funny anymore.

Anyway This map gets the Taco Supreme Condiment Noy's Seal of Approval, or was that The Supreme Commander Noy's Seal of Approval... no matter. Either one is worth alot.

Gentlemen: To Evil!
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.