Dark Forecast - 2p Co-Op survival

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Rhuvaen wrote:I've had multiple reports from people that despite having village_gold=1 set for all player sides, they still get 2gpv :?: I'll have to look into these rumors.
Those people probably weren't using "use map settings". I already experienced that before.
Anyway... I tested it a few days ago with 1.3.12 (lonely), and it was really nice! However, maybe I just got unlucky, but by about turn 37 I had almost all my units (including my leader) placed near the desert in the south west - just to get overwhelmed by a wave of about 15 lvl2-units and another 6 of them the next turn. It got my a** kicked pretty badly... :(
But other than that, really nice map. :)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

The scenario is now correctly using 1gpv with "use map settings".
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

jb wrote:The scenario is now correctly using 1gpv with "use map settings".
Yay! :D

Since the code has been correct all along, I hang on to my feature request #10244:
Why is there a gold_lock and income_lock but no village_gold_lock? Of all the economic parameters, this one seems most useful and important in designing scenario dynamics.
Nosmos

Post by Nosmos »

The Village gold 1 (use map settings) doesnt work for me (i use 1.3.13)

I think you have to add village_gold=1 for all sides (side 1 and 2 dont have it in the version that comes with 1.3.13)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

dunno Nosmos, I just rechecked it manually, and it's working for me.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Well it's not working here too without changing the cfg the way Nosmos did,
so the use map settings still appear to be 2gpv in mainline version for 1.3.13.
I wonder why it's working for you jb / not for us. (well assumption : you got the same cfg)

best regards, nani
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I think my suspicion stands that it will use the gold setting in the game creation dialogue (the slider position from your previous games, even though you can't move it) despite "use map settings". The village_gold had been set for both player sides, but not the AI sides (1 and 2 - since it doesn't matter for them).

I applied Nosmos' changes to SVN, so next release will see a sharp increase in the challenge level of this scenario - because of 1 gpv and the spawns will get traits.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Rhuvaen wrote:I think my suspicion stands that it will use the gold setting in the game creation dialogue (the slider position from your previous games, even though you can't move it) despite "use map settings". The village_gold had been set for both player sides, but not the AI sides (1 and 2 - since it doesn't matter for them).
There is no code to try to figure out what side's gold setting is authoritative, all the side specific settings are simply taken from side 1.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
rand

Post by rand »

I just played this through to the end on single player and really enjoyed it. Both the random spawns and the weather added a lot to the interest of the scenario. Also liked the boss monsters near the end.

Minor detail... total number of turns was displayed as 45 until turn 41 when it incremented to 53 and then turn 46 when it became 54. Should this be 54 from the get-go?
rand

Post by rand »

Looking at the WML code...

I see now that there is a defined single player mode accessed by setting Side 4 = Empty in the game lobby. This might be explained in the WML "description" text as my impression had been that single player simply meant playing both Sides 3 + 4.
patman

Re: Dark Forecast - 2p Co-Op survival

Post by patman »

Hello,
i very much like your map, and its a great map to explain basic concepts to newbies.
But as i wanted to teach a friend of mine basic wesnoth in 1.8 it crashed when i started
the map. error says something like this:

20100405 19:35:35 error display: Tile at -999,-999 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
20100405 19:35:35 error general: Ein Fehler ist durch möglicherweise ungültiges WML aufgetreten
Die Fehlermeldung ist:
Anzeigen eines Dialogfensters fehlgeschlagen. Es passt nicht in die aktuelle Fenstergröße.

Wenn Ihr diesen Fehler meldet, gebt bitte diese Fehlermeldung an:
src/gui/widgets/window.cpp:804 in function 'layout' found the following problem: Failed to size window; wanted size 944,481 available size 882,570 screen size 1024,600.

roughly translated: an error occured due to invalid WML
this might have to do with my small screen resolution of 1024x600, but it worked in 1.6
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Dark Forecast is an awesome piece of work! 8)
But in 1.9, it probably is the lamest:
My reason-
No waves spawn before the more powerful ones spawn. (It worked fine in 1.8.3)
This should be fixed
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ortoslon

Post by ortoslon »

looks like a bug: we won the scenario by destroying the lich wave before the yeti or the dragon appeared (replay attached)
Attachments
2p_-_Dark_Forecast_(Survival)_replay.gz
two-player game in 1.8.6
(62.36 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Rhuvean stopped being the maintainer on this for several versions. It would be great if you could file a proper bug report.

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25660
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

I think this might be the best survival in TBFW, especially the ancient lich was really cool. I have completed it with team that was composed of Northerners and Knalgan alliance.

Here's the replay:
Attachments
Dark_forecast_survival_(completed).gz
(62.16 KiB) Downloaded 385 times