Multiplayer Map: 5p - Secret Valley

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BuBu

Multiplayer Map: 5p - Secret Valley

Post by BuBu »

:: 5p - Secret Valley ::

Hello evebory,

It the first time that i doing something to this game and anyone teach me how do something, i learned seeing the files and try to understand. So if there something to tell (or teach) me don't have any problem, but please don't use dificult words.

I did a map a little diferent from usual default maps of multiplayer of wesnoth. In Secret Valley i did the things that i like, and IMO it get very funny, diferent and full of surprises and it is has some parts that is balanced and other not. I test it many times after put it here.

Map's description:

A little big map 51 X 43 and 2 vs. 2. A beautiful valley protect by nature with terrain mix. It has many montains, forests and caves were live some savages that help the Valley Keepers. This map benefit all factions, provides long and hot battles and has some surprises that can change the situation of a game in any moment. It is a battle against North vs. South vs. Valley Keepers. Map settings: 125 gold, 2 gold per Village, 39 Villages, fog and darkness. Suggestion: 70 turns or more."

:arrow: 5p_Secret_Valley goes to this folder:

..\Wesnoth\data\maps\multiplayer\

:arrow: 5p_Secret_Valley.cfg goes to this folder:

..\Wesnoth\data\scenarios\multiplayer\

5p - Secret Valley 2.0:

[map]l[l[l]l][']uu['[uu'wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwu'r]r[r'ulul[l[l
l[[[u[uu[ur[W[ruWur\wuw[w[w[w[wrwwwr[Wu[[W]u[[[l
l[[]u'r[rDuur[uur'uwururur]p]ru[u\/uu'u'['r]ruru[[l
l[uur[uWuW'W]W]uW[ww[W[]''WwwW]W[W[W[WDW[ur'l
'ur[uuufWhWcWcWW[W]wwfWWu[u[u[uWWswWWWWcWhWfWuuu[][
]ruWuffffcchcmccWcWwwdgwWWufuWWdsZscccchccffffuuruu
u'[WWffccgffhfmmccssYdfhwWf?fWhcsssmmmmfhfccfffW]r[
urDWhccgLgfggfhmmmcccggmfmfffmhcsccmmhhfffgLcchW'uu
]uu[WchfgggNggfgmhccgmmghhmfmccfccmmmffgggggghcWDr[
'ru]Wcmmfg4NRRgNfcccdfgffggEE\cmhccchgfRN1gffmcW]uu
[W['WcmhmgNRggRRcccmccdhvEETQcEEmmccNRRgNNgfhmcW'r]
ru[[WcmhfgRgtfNc\\fgdmccgETccdTEhfc/RNgtRgghhmcW[Wu
uru]WcmmfNRNdccccmEEhgmmc|dcdmGTEE/cccdfRRfmmccWu]r
'uu'WWccgcRccscddTTEfffEhEccmmm?TEmdccccNRNccsWuur[
[ru]uWcscc|cccchtEE?EEEmETTcTThTTEhtdcscc|csscWW[u'
w|wwsZsccfEmdhccgETTTmmcdcccccddGmEEfccmcc\ccgYww|w
wuwWWssfggEEmmfE/chddcccccssscccmmmc\Emmmg|mffwWwrw
'r]WwhfmhEEfEEEThccccccmchTshmccccccGGEfffEfmmwW]u'
[W[WwmmfEgf?fEGmGcscchmbmTwTmbmhccscTqEm?fEEfhwWuWr
ru'WwgggEgfffEmmmccmTTTTTwwwTTTTTmchwEEEmmgEggwW[r[
]ruoWWmmEEhmmEGTcccmmGG\wGGGw/GGmmmE/wgfEEfEghWuuuu
[p'K[fffUEmEEqE\wTmhhGwGGCQCGGwGhhTETYmmfEEmmfWo]r]
[r]o[f?fgEEmgwwTEhh?TGwG?Q5Q?GwGT?hTE\wfmEUff?[K'p[
[]'uWWfmmEmmmwYGETTTTGw/GGLGG\wGTTTmTwEEfEgmff[o]u[
uru[]WmgEffEfwhTEmmmTTGTwwGwwTGTTmmmmwqEEhEEmWW['r[
['uWWhffEEEh\EqEEEmmmmTbTTwTThTmmmmTh?w|wwfEEW]uuW]
rW]Wmf?hgEmfwmEgf|dcmhmmmhwwhmbmmcdhTTTEwfw|hwWW[r'
uu[uWgfcg|dcchmmcEccccmmTThsmmmccccchEEmhhgEwcWwuu[
]r'WWYcscc\ccfhccETGccccmsssTcccchd/EtmmmEEfmsssw|]
w|wwwssccn|nccchftEEhhcccccccccmTEEdccgcd|gccsZWwrw
uu][wccmhgrgcscdgmmmETTTcccdcmmGTETmcsccc|ccccWu]'u
'ruWWcmmmfrfccccfhmEEE?EdcfhhfhEEmmccccgnrnhmcW[uWr
[Wu'WcmhfgrrtdcccEEmffEQ\\gggEEfEEccctffgrfhmcWu[r]
r']DWcmmfgnnggn//chhgggccgEEfE?fd|cndfggrngfmcW'u['
[ru[WWcchg2nrrrnccccdccddvghEmfgcc\rgrrrn3gfmcWDr[u
uuu']WhcfgggggggffcccssgfmffmmmcccngrhfgnggghcWWur]
[r[]uffcgLgffhfmmmmcsZWWmmm?ffdcscmmfmhmgfgLcfhW[]u
u'uuufffccghhfmfmccWsssWhWfffWWYssccmcmcmhgccffu'ru
]r[uuufWfhcccccccWW[]wwuW[u[u[WWwwWWcWcWccchffuu[']
l[uru]WWWWWWWWWWWW[uWuwu]'[p['][Wwu]W[W[WWWWWr[l
l[[u'ruD[u']W[]rr[r/wr]r'r]ruw/urur'[]rDuu'r[[[l
l[[[[[ururururuW[ru[W'ww[w[w[w[w\wuuWur[W['r[r][[[l
ll[l]lu]'u'u][u'wwwwwwwwwwww'u[u'][ul]l[ll[/map]

What do you think about this map?
Attachments
5p - Secret Valley.zip
Created by Emmanuel Porto (BuBu)
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Last edited by BuBu on August 11th, 2007, 6:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Drake Clasher

Post by Drake Clasher »

Could you please post the actual map itself here?

If you don't know how to do it, take the letters that make up the map, and put them in map tags. eg,

Code: Select all

[map]h1falshgas
kkfklfasasd
afafsafsaf
afsdfsd2sa[/map]
becomes

[map]h1falshgas
kkfklfasad
afafsafsaf
afsdfsd2sa[/map]
the observer a wesnoth newspaper by DDR
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I don't know if the new map code is completely done yet, what you showed is with the old system. Of course, Bubu might be using the stable version too, but if he's not, I don't think that will work yet.

EDIT: Thread on it here http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16888
Sorry for the meaningless post
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Drake Clasher wrote:Could you please post the actual map itself here?

If you don't know how to do it, take the letters that make up the map, and put them in map tags. eg,

Code: Select all

[map]h1falshgas
kkfklfasasd
afafsafsaf
afsdfsd2sa[/map]
becomes

[map]h1falshgas
kkfklfasad
afafsafsaf
afsdfsd2sa[/map]
Sorry, I don't undertand. Do you only want the map? in the zip has it:

- map: 5p_Secret_Valley
- Configuration (Scenarios): 5p_Secret_Valley.cfg
- Replay: 5p_-_Secret_Valley_replay.

Util now i don't kwon how convert the map to letters. I use ruindow (Is this the problem?). Is The zip file corrupted?

The replay it is only a ai x ai to know the map and it isn't necessary to the map work. To see the replay is only put in a folder where the save files be, like this: ..\Wesnoth\userdata\saves\
romnajin wrote: I don't know if the new map code is completely done yet, what you showed is with the old system. Of course, Bubu might be using the stable version too, but if he's not, I don't think that will work yet.

EDIT: Thread on it here http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16888
Yes, I only use stable versions (1.2.5). I used some developed version but they bug a lot. Today will play with it the in server.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

[map]l[l[luu]['uuu]']uuu\wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwuuuuu'uuu[ulul[l
l[[uu[uu]W[uuWuuw|uw[w[w[w[wuwwwu]Wu]uW]']uu]u[l
l[[]u'uuu'uuuu'uu[]wu['uuu]p]u'[u\/uu'uu'uu]u'uu'[l
]]uuu]u']WDW]W]W]'WwuWu]']uuuuuuWwwW]W[W]W[WDW['uu]
uuu'uuufWhWwWwWwWWWwwfWWu[u['[]WWgwWWWWwWwWfWu]uuu[
]uuWuffffwwhwmwwwwWcwfhhWWuf]WWffwwwwwwhwfwfffuu]uu
u'[WWffwwgffhfmmwwccYdmmhWf?fWfgwZwmmmmfhfwwfffW'u]
uuDWhhwgvgfggffhmmccdggmmmfffmhwwwwmmhhfffgvwwhW]D'
]'u[WmwhgggNggfmmmcscfmmmhmfmwwmwcmmmhfgggggghwWu'[
uWwwmfg4NRRgfmhcscfmhvgfEE\wmhccchhfRN1gffmwWuWu
[W['WwmhhgNRggRRNccscccdfEETnwEEmmccNRRgNNgfhmwW'u]
]'u[WwmmffRggtgNR\cccmccgETwwTTEmfc/RNgtRgghhmwwW'u
uWwwmhNRNgfdccc\Ehhmmc|dwmmhTEE/cccdfRRhmmmmwW]u
uuu]WwccccRccccccffEfgfEfEwwmmm?TEfdccccNRNccwwWWu[
['uuuwwwsc|csccdhEE?EEEmETTcTTmTTEhtdcssc|csscYw[u'
w|wwwwZwcfEfcmdthETTTmmcdccscccshmEEfccccc\ccfwwww]
wuwWWfwhfgEEmmmEEmmmmscccccccmccmmmc\Efmmm|hf?fWww|
'uuWWfwmgEEgEEfEmccckmhmhmTwmmmcskcscTEfmfEgfffW[uu
[W[]WmmfEfffmhETGcschmbmmTwhThhmmmcccqEf?mEEgghW]W'
uu'uWhhfEf?fhfEmmmcmmmTTTwwwTTTTbmGTwEEEmmmEffhW']u
]]uoWWmmEEfmmEEhmwwhmGG\wGGGw/GGmmmE/wffEEfEfhWWuuu
[puK[uffvEmEEqE\whTmhGwGGq?NGGwGhTmETYmmfEEmmfuo]']
[[]o[f?ffEEmfwwTEmmTTGwG?N5q?GwGTTThE\wmmEvff?[Kup[
]]uuWWfmmEmmmwYGEhTT?Gw/GGLGG\wG?TTmTwEEfEgmff[o][[
''u[]WmgEffEfwThEmTmTTGTwwGwwTGTTmmmmwqEEfEEmWW['u[
uuuWWmhfEEEq\ETTEhTmmmThTTwhThTbmmmTh?w|wwfEfhWWuW]
[W]WmmmffEfwwfEEEmmmThbhmhwTThmmmThETTTEdfw|wfWW'uu
u'[uWggcc|ccwmmmEET?mmmmTTwwTmmhTEEhEEEmhfgEwwWu]u[
uuu]WYcscc\ccfmhfETTTEThmhTwmmmww|dchtmmmEEffwwwu|]
w|wwwwsccn|nccftghEEEmETTTwswwwTTEccccccc|dcwZwWwuw
uuuuwwcmhgrgcscdfmmmffET?TkkcmmmTEhmcssc/cccwwwW]'u
'u[]WwmmmfrfccccffmEEEEhTGccdhmEEmmccccn|ncmmmwWuW[
[Wu'WwmhhgrrtdcccEEffTEEEEccTEEfEEcccdfgrghhmmwW[']
]'[DWwmmfgnnggn//cdcmmhTnw\ETE?fmc\\nftgrngffmwWuDu
[uuuWWwhfg2nrrrncccsccdwwfvgEmfhcscnrrrrn3gggwwW]'u
uu][]WwwfggggfggfmccsZcwfmffmmmccscmghfgngggvwffW[]
]]']uffwgvgffhfmmmmwwwcwmmm?ffhdcwcmhmmmgfffwfffu'u
uuuuufffwwgfhhmfmwwmWuwwhWfffWWdYwwwmwmwmwhhwhfuuu]
]]u'uufWhhwwwwwwwWmWW]wWW'u[uuWWfwWWwWwWwWwwwWWu]uu
[u]WWWWWWWWWWWWW[Wuwu[]up]'][Wwu]W]W[WWWWWDWuu]'
l[['uuuD[u']Wu]']u]u]u/wuuu'uuu'u\/uuuuu]']u]'uu'[l
l[[u'uuuuu'uWW]'[Wuww[w[w[w]wwwwuWu']Wuu]'[[l
ll[l]'u]u[']u'u'u]'wwwwwwwwwwwww]]u']u'u[u']l[ll[/map]

Ok it will work since you have the stable version.
Sorry for the meaningless post
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Oh! it is the map that i did, this very nice. How did you do that? This is very interesting.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

BuBu wrote:Oh! it is the map that i did, this very nice. How did you do that? This is very interesting.
When you create a map in the editor and save it, it saves as a text file that Wesnoth knows how to read.

1. Open up the map file (in this case 5p_Secret_Valley) using notepad.
2. Copy the text to the clipboard.
3. Create a form message.
4. Paste the text from the clipboaed into the forum message.
5. Type [map] at the start of the text data that you pasted and type [/map] at the end.

When you post the message, the forum software knows to display the data as a graphic.

If you quote romnajin's message, you will be able to see what it looks like.
Jami

Post by Jami »

That map looks very drake-friendly to me. Tons of terrain to slow down nonfliers and all of the caves are around the outside.

I wouldn't want to play loyalists or UD on this map. Ever.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

The map is so terribly unbalanced that if I were to post here It would be very many paragraphs, more than anybody has time for. If I'm brief here it's not specific enough and you for the most part won't understand what changes to make to the map. My suggestion is to just host it on the server, see if somebody has more time than I do. Jami hit it right on. To put it simple anyways... There's way too much terrain. Reduce it and I might help you further.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Knalgans could have a feild day, as could drakes.

Standard map settings are 2gpv 70% experiance learn how to make maps that work for that, before trying to get fancy.

Some problems with map
-Far too much terrain that slows none flyer in standard paths
-Far too much mountains slows all but knalgans/drakes (give dwarves 70%def
-Far too much caves Dwarves and saurians could total pretty much anyone else who would try to control them. Undead could beatmost anyone else due to mushrooms/ghosts
-Player 5s starting position
- 2 vs 2 +1?
- Lenght of time this would take to play (though some people seem to like it that way)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

irrevenant wrote:
BuBu wrote:Oh! it is the map that i did, this very nice. How did you do that? This is very interesting.
When you create a map in the editor and save it, it saves as a text file that Wesnoth knows how to read.

1. Open up the map file (in this case 5p_Secret_Valley) using notepad.
2. Copy the text to the clipboard.
3. Create a form message.
4. Paste the text from the clipboaed into the forum message.
5. Type [map] at the start of the text data that you pasted and type [/map] at the end.

When you post the message, the forum software knows to display the data as a graphic.

If you quote romnajin's message, you will be able to see what it looks like.
I didn't know how it is so easy. This is a great ideia and it is very useful. Thanks irrevenant.
F8 Binds... wrote:The map is so terribly unbalanced that if I were to post here It would be very many paragraphs, more than anybody has time for. If I'm brief here it's not specific enough and you for the most part won't understand what changes to make to the map. My suggestion is to just host it on the server, see if somebody has more time than I do. Jami hit it right on. To put it simple anyways... There's way too much terrain. Reduce it and I might help you further.
Please tell me the critics points, but don't use dificult words. Yes i know that few people like to play long maps on the server, but some long maps i like to play.
Velensk wrote:Knalgans could have a feild day, as could drakes.

Standard map settings are 2gpv 70% experiance learn how to make maps that work for that, before trying to get fancy.

Some problems with map
-Far too much terrain that slows none flyer in standard paths
-Far too much mountains slows all but knalgans/drakes (give dwarves 70%def
-Far too much caves Dwarves and saurians could total pretty much anyone else who would try to control them. Undead could beatmost anyone else due to mushrooms/ghosts
-Player 5s starting position
- 2 vs 2 +1?
- Lenght of time this would take to play (though some people seem to like it that way)
Please use the default configuration of the MAP.

I did too much terrain because all maps have a open field.
- I like to play maps with 50% of expirence (i couldn't understant what you want to mean with that.?)
- I only could test it with the computer player.
- This map can do the computer player lose with a very easy.
- Yes i know, but the advantages benefit many different units. Advantages: 1º - Dwarves, 2º Undeads, 3º Drakes, 4º Rebelds, 5º Northers, 6º Loyalists.
- Player 5 has more dificult than other players but it has a good companion (heehee) and can get more villages than any one util turn 80.
- 2 vs 2 +1: when i start do this map it work like this: 1 and 2 x 3 and 4 x 5 x 6. But i changed and now is like this: 1 and 2 x 3 and 4 x 5 and 6. I forgot of remove this (2 vs 2 +1).
- Sometimes this map make the game get too long or short.
- With this map you don't win only going foward, so many times you need to go back.

Could you tell me STRONG and WEAK (some people already tell about it) ponits of the map? I will try somethings to make it more balanced. Thank you, for your opinions :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Nothing you said there makes your map more balanced, regaurdless of what your personal prefrences for playing wesnoth are that map is horribly unbalanced, you did not adress my points (with minor exceptions), instead you simpily said I like it that way. If we were to go into a full length discussion on what would need to be changed to give everybody (including poor loyalists who start in the center) a chance then the post would be extreamly long and be extreamly hard to translate.

Like all your other suggestions I realy think this one would go over well if you did not try to pass it of as a balanced idea for competitive play, but rather a gimicy alternative.

EDIT: Why can you olny test against cpus? Is there some reason you can't just go onto the mp server and make a game
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Velensk wrote:Nothing you said there makes your map more balanced, regaurdless of what your personal prefrences for playing wesnoth are that map is horribly unbalanced, you did not adress my points (with minor exceptions), instead you simpily said I like it that way. If we were to go into a full length discussion on what would need to be changed to give everybody (including poor loyalists who start in the center) a chance then the post would be extreamly long and be extreamly hard to translate.

Like all your other suggestions I realy think this one would go over well if you did not try to pass it of as a balanced idea for competitive play, but rather a gimicy alternative.

EDIT: Why can you olny test against cpus? Is there some reason you can't just go onto the mp server and make a game
Thanks for the advance. OK, but take easy Velensk. The motivation that i have to do this map was doing something that i like and be different of other default multiplayer maps. But i like to listen the opinion of other people (mainly people who is totaly against my ideias), because sometimes could find things that sometimes i can't.

The map is balenced by the differences, because things too symmetric become artificial and i like the things more natural like a VALLEY. I already know the situation of the loyalists in the map mainly on the middle. I know that the map isn't very balanced and i am trying to balance it and i opened little more the map and removed few montains.

I can't play with other people because i don't know a person in the place i live that likes the game and my conection is DIAL UP, so i can only conect on Saturday and i don't have all this time to do everything, i am a studant.
Last edited by BuBu on July 28th, 2007, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

You really seem to misunderstand the fact that a map can be balanced and yet fun. There are many examples of this. The default maps aren't boring by any respect, nor solely created for competitive play.
Actually, you don't test against cpu's. Balancing can only come from games with good, experienced players. The AI simply is not good enough to perform such a test.
Thanks for the advance. OK, but take easy Velensk. The motivation that i have to do this map was doing something that i like and be different of other default multiplayer maps. But i like to listen the opinion of other people (mainly people who is totaly against my ideias), because sometimes could find things that sometimes i can't.
So Velensk is in complete disagreement with your ideas? No. I think you're over-reacting to the fact that your idea of a balanced map is flawed. We've told you as simple as we'd like to what the problems on your map are. You must try to understand us. It doesn't work the other way. If I must redirect you to forum threads that talk about this, I'll do it.

The map is balenced by the differences, because things too symmetric become artificial and i like the things more natural like a VALLEY. I already know the situation of the loyalists in the map mainly on the middle. I know that the map isn't very balanced and i am trying to balance it and i opened little more the map and removed few montains.
So "artificial" maps are boring. If a map is symmetrical it is instantaneously and permanently flawed the by the fact that it is losely symmetrical. Notice that with the exclusion of Isar's Cross, no map that comes with the game is perfectly symmetrical.
I can't play with other people because i don't know a person in the place i live that likes the game and my conection is DIAL UP, so i can only conect on Saturday and i don't have all this time to do everything, i am a studant.
Interesting. So we should feel sorrow for you? These are excuses, as to justify and vindicate your actions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general- you cannot expect us to spoon-feed information to you. We spend our time on wesnoth as volunteers and/or to have fun. Perhaps you do as well. To give detailed commentary on such an unbalanced map would be much longer than this post I have written here and now- it would be too difficult and time-consuming for me to even consider doing it.

I resign from giving you map commentary from this point on.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

F8 Binds... wrote:
Interesting. So we should feel sorrow for you? These are excuses, as to justify and vindicate your actions.
That sounds like a pretty good excuse to me, F8.

[Off Topic]
Notice that with the exclusion of Isar's Cross, no map that comes with the game is perfectly symmetrical.
Den of Onis (1.2.4) is completely symmetrical, as far as I can tell.
[/Off Topic]
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday