Dov's MP Pack - Now with Shops Era

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dovolente

Re: Dov's MP Maps - help test "Deep Shrine"!

Post by Dovolente »

Orocia revisions on hold, as I've put the new WML work towards the new variant, 'The Deep Shrine'. The scenario features coop survival play similar to Orocia, but with:
- an underground map for which law/chaos have no effect
- spawns that don't immediately charge the turn their appear
- a storyline, with storyline dialogue that can be toggled off or on via right-select menu
- a "rune" for each player that grants a random bonus, which glows when used and is labeled with the most recent bonus.
- stats for bonuses and kill/deaths accessible through the right-select menu

Orocia versions have gone back and forth between 1 bonus spot and multiple bonus spots. I think this method--1 for each player which works only for that player--is finally the right way to go. I don't think it can be broken like the multiple bonus spots... I'd be very interested to see anyone beat the game just by sitting in the center, on default settings. :)

Anyway, the scenario is in Dov's map pack on the 1.4 MP server and also attached. It will likely undergo a few more tweaks as I get more feedback on difficulty. :P
Attachments
3p_Deep_Shrine.cfg
3p Deep Shrine
(32.38 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Dov's MP Maps - under revision for 1.4 WML

Post by Sapient »

Deep Shrine is very nice! I suspect the blood bat wave is a slightly too strong for the first wave. Maybe you should mix normal bats in there?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Thanks. :)

re: blood bats, I had the same impression my first game or two, but had other testers say they were okay. Since then, they've started to grow on me, but I have noticed knalgans and northerners having a tough time with them in a couple of games. I'll keep your suggestion in mind. :)

The turn 4 commonfolk wave seems to work well--you can be swarmed if not careful, but if you're careful, it's some fairly painless xp.

The white mage on turn 7 can be very tough. Taking it out without it using its magic attack more than once or twice seems to be pretty critical to doing well. I'm considering demoting it to a level 1 mage.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

White mages can deal a lot of damage but they don't have high HP. I say keep it. But the blood bats have 60% defense and a good drain attack and can reach wounded units very easily. Having that many of them in the very beginning can cause a lot of problems if you have poor luck.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Deep Shrine tweaks:
- 1st wave is 1 vampire and 1 blood bat, rather than 2 blood bats
- units which get a bonus get their team color changed to help identify them. Colors are locked to make this consistent. This seems to work better than trying to put an image overlay, as none worked very well.
- no XP bonus -- it was causing OOS errors.
- the difficulty of the last two waves is reduced a little.

the BIG change:
- putting a unit at the altar will KILL the unit at the start of the player's turn, and increase the amount of one of the bonus for future empowerments.
Attachments
3p_Deep_Shrine.cfg
(34.12 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

*** The Wesnoth 1.4 Update ***
is on the add-on server (as Dov's Map Pack v1.3) and is more or less complete, minus any bug-fixes or necessary balancing tweaks. :)

The Deep Shrine is as above, save for the addition of a resistance to magic/elements bonus. So the five bonuses are hp, damage, moves, vs weapons, and vs magic. One other thing also, the floating text bonus announcement was removed since labels now appear that give more information, and people with high scroll settings (like me!) don't even see the floating text.

*** Orocia ***
has several of the 1.4 WML and design improvements that went into Deep Shrine, including:
- waves that appear, but don't charge to attack, when they spawn (while preserving the same sequence/rhythm of attacks as earlier versions... basically everything appears a turn earlier)
- one bonus spot for each player, marked by a brazier that lights up when a bonus is given.
- xp bonus replaced by resistance to magic/elements bonus
- empowered units marked by a team color shift (I tried nearly every image/halo, and this seems to work better aesthetically overall, even though some units like drakes don't have a team color and won't show the color shift)
- empowerment and kill/death statistics available in right-select menu for the active player
- a *little* more attention to storyline, including a victory sequence that gives a context to why 'only surviving' is needed.
- the map has been modified slightly. Newer map terrains and images like farms, scarecrows and windmills were added to the otherwise plain across-the-river regions.
- a new village, closer to the outer edges, is available. It will be hard to hold, but with spawns appearing a turn before they charge to attack, it is not completely suicidal to try.

A word about the Orocia random_mod, as that's the more-played version lately: I could have picked up on Necromonger's work, but as the multiple bonuses has been proven to be abusable, I'll just continue to develop the original version, even it it doesn't get as much attention. Anyway, kudos to Necromonger for making something that lots of people enjoy; I like the versions with more than 3 players, and have enjoyed my games on them. :)
ezysquire

Re: Dov's MP Maps - 1.4 revision COMPLETE!

Post by ezysquire »

Dovolente, the new Orocia map is excellent. Aside from the aesthetics of the farms/braziers etc, I think that a good balance has been struck with regard to difficulty. One tile each for the upgrade is perfect I think. With more than that the game can get a little silly. The addition of a village gives your income that slight boost to cater for a piece of bad luck that causes death to a unit early on too. An extra village is also good for players new to the map as is the spawning without moving bit.

SO GREAT EFFORT!!!!
Dovolente

Re: Dov's MP Maps - Now including the Setters of Catampir era

Post by Dovolente »

Now updated from version 1.3.1 to 1.4, with the following addition and changes.

Added:
The Settlers of Catampir era - a simple resource-collection era inspired by Settlers of Catan and Age of Empires 2. Peasants collect resources automatically at the start of the turn, and the resource type depends on the terrain. Peasants can build villages, walls, and towers. The leader can recruit new units from the villages. Win through resource collection or standard enemy conquest. I started a thread in the era forum which has more details about it, but have decided to keep Settlers together with my other UMC. :)

Changes:
Elf Chess:
- Elder Wose resistance to pierce reduced from 60% to 30%
- Elder Wose resistance to arcane improved from -30% to -10%
- all units are stoned after the checkmate

Orocia & Deep Shrine:
-fixed nonfunctioning end-of-game events and victory messages (no more anticlimactic victories!)

Rumble 3D:
- when a leader dies, all his/her units die
- changed monoliths to different runes - it is easier to see which teleport spots connect
- added some death effects (bones, curse) for when leaders die
Dovolente

Re: Dov's MP Maps - now includes Settlers of Catampir era

Post by Dovolente »

- Deep Shrine: fixed the major glitch with enemy leader placement
Tavish Artair

Post by Tavish Artair »

Hey! I like your maps, and enjoyed the challenge quite a bit. But I played through Deep Shrine on a public game on the MP server, and there was an amusing but slight bug at the end. It wouldn't end properly. Proooobably because we lured Grendiron onto the altar and sacrificed him. Heheh.
Attachments
3p_-_Deep_Shrine_victorious.gz
Tavish, Scoutshine, and beeert in attendance.
(98.81 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Scout Shine

Post by Scout Shine »

Aye, the game just... kept going because of that. I made it more interesting by recreating the ending of the matrix trilogy though... lots of agent smiths... erm... bloodborn! Watch that rematch for a lot of amusing fun! Taking out all the badguys? Awesome! Having lots of high level monsters created from the enemies own ranks? Damn cool! Sacrificing the final boss for an extra bonus? PRICELESS
Deep shrine is a fun map though, well done!
runearun

Post by runearun »

i finally have beaten orocia
attached is my save file
i was "genericmathgeek" (undead)
my allies were gerrh (chaos) and sentry (drakes)
gerrh left within 2 seconds, and sentry took his place
together, the two of us beat orocia

EDIT: apparently the file attachment didn't work
i uploaded it to mediafire.com to make this easier

here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6c2e ... 79f8d393d3
Dovolente

Re: Dov's MP Maps - updated for 1.8

Post by Dovolente »

The 1.8 update is now on the add-ons server.

It includes:
- 2p Elf Chess
- 3p Cutthroat survival
- 3p Orocia
- 3p Deep Shrine
- 6p Rumble 3D

It is basically just a compatibility update for 1.8. A few minor cosmetic map tweaks and some label fixing. :)
itota

Re: Dov's MP Maps - updated for 1.8

Post by itota »

hi, i have translated your masterpiece, Dov's MP Maps to japanese.
but something is wrong. many parts of the translation wont be shown in the game.
i couldnt find the source of this error. it can be caused by wesnoth engine bug. or something may be wrong in the scenario file, or po file...

however, because i couldnt find any error in the po file, i have decided to post it here.
please include the file in the add-on if u can fix the problem.
i will help debuging if there is anything that i can. feel free to ask me.

if it can be played in japanese, more japanese players can enjoy it much more. thanks. :)

(sorry IF the error is caused by the po file)

[EDIT]
the problems seems to have been solved.
below is how-to.

1. adding textdomain and placing mo file
i added lines below in the top of _main.cfg

Code: Select all

#textdomain Dov_MP_Maps
[textdomain]
    name="Dov_MP_Maps"
    path="data/add-ons/Dov_MP_Maps/translations/"
[/textdomain]
and added the line below in the top of all the cfg files in scenarios folder

#textdomain Dov_MP_Maps
and i placed the ja/LC_MESSAGES/Dov_MP_Maps.mo like
Dov_MP_Maps/translations/ja/LC_MESSAGES/Dov_MP_Maps.mo

2. deleteing the line "#textdomain wesnoth"
in 3p_Deep_Shrine.cfg, deleting the line

#textdomain wesnoth
seems to fix the problem. by doing this, i could see all japanese translation at least in the beginning(not tested yet after turn 2. but it should work fine).

3. fixing the error in po file
"<span size='small'>-At the start of your turn, if you have a unit on the brazier nearest your start position, it will receive bonus hp, damage,\n" "resistance, or moves.\n"
had to be
"<span size='small'>-At the start of your turn, if you have a unit on the brazier nearest your start position, it will receive bonus hp, damage, resistance, or moves.\n"
by doing this, i could see japanese starting message in 3p-Orocia.

please add the japanese translation. thanks in advance. :)
Attachments
Dov_MP_Maps.tar.bz2
the whole package that includes all fix listed above (step 1 - 3) and the (VERY FINAL) version of the translation.(2010.8.28)
(25.68 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
ja.tar.bz2
(VERY FINAL) improved translation(2010.8.28)
(8.62 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
ja.tar.bz2
(OLD) please use newer one instead.
fix) the error mentioned above (#3 of the list)
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
ja.tar.bz2
(OLD) please use newer one instead.
some translations have been fixed.
no msgid(english key) and no structure has been changed.
(8.6 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
ja.tar.bz2
(OLD) please use new one instead.
ja/LC_MESSAGES/Dov_MP_Maps.po
ja/LC_MESSAGES/Dov_MP_Maps.mo
(8.59 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Dovolente

Re: Dov's MP Maps

Post by Dovolente »

Thanks for your work on the translation, itota! I looked at the translation docs but they weren't very straightforward--I appreciate you figuring it out. :)

Your final translation version and the changes to make it function are now on the add-ons server as v 1.8.1.

I also disabled Elf Chess in this version--it needs some repair work. :?

I've been working on a new 2-player survival which involves trying to control villages to stop units from spawning from them. I hope to have it more playable in the next few days--I'll be testing it on the MP server. :)

Also planned for the next version is a 'survival xp era' which will take itota's excellent xp mod for the two classic Nosmos survivals and put it into an era so it can be used on other maps. Basically, the unit's xp can be spent on hp, damage, and strikes upgrades, with a higher xp cost for drainers so they aren't imbalanced.