Dov's MP Pack - Now with Shops Era

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

itota

Re: Dov's MP Maps

Post by itota »

thank you for including the translation.
i will definately translate ur 2 new work too :)

please let me join to the playtest of the new survival map if we could see in MP server.

(EDIT - 2010.8.30)
an edited translation file (based on current uploaded version 1.8.1) is attached. please replace translation file with the new one in the next upload.

there are some texts in the translation file that should have been activated but have been forgotten :p
and the #1 in the list below would be better to be done.

[change list in the attached translation file]
1. some message texts have been added (they had been commented out till the previous version). but texts matched in cfg files have not been changed to be tranlatable yet. (maybe i should have edited them for myself or asked it to you earlier.)
please add _ in front of " of texts in cfg files that are listed below. (i know that the elf chess is disabled, but maybe it is better to activate the translation before it is forgotten again)

Code: Select all

# 3p_Orocia.cfg
"Survive til turn 40."

# 3p_Deep_Shrine.cfg
"Defeat all enemies."

# 6p_Rumble.cfg
"Curse you, $second_unit.race!"

# 3p_Cutthroat.cfg
"Kill the enemy kings."

"Your king dies.

<span font-size='large' font-style='italic'>Cutthroat Survival:</span>
<span font-size='small'>-Creatures spawn at the ruins near your base at even-numbered turns.</span>
<span font-size='small'>-Defeat the creatures and wage war on your fellow players.</span>"

# 2p_Elf_Chess.cfg
"Kill the enemy king."

"Your king dies.
<span font-style='italic'>Rules:</span>
<span font-size='small'>
-Players can MOVE TWICE and ATTACK TWICE each turn (so up to 4 pieces could potentially do something).
-Move pieces carefully and directly to their final position. NO UNDOS!
-Your king starts with extra moves to allow for castling. After its first move, its moves are reduced to 1.
-Your king has 1 hp. Don't fail to protect the king!</span>"
2. some comments such like "# 3p_Orocia.cfg" have been added for later convinience (mainly for other translations than japanese).

3. a few of the translation have been fixed/improved.

thanks in advance.

(EDIT - 2010.9.3)
i posted a new file. it contains further improved japanese transltaion and fix mentioned above.
please include fixes of the file in the next upload.
thanks in advance.
Attachments
Dov_MP_Maps.tar.bz2
(NEW)posted - 2010.9.3
newest whole package.
(25.73 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
ja.tar.bz2
(OLD)please upload newer one instead.
some msgid and msgstr pair have been added (they had been commented out till the previous version)
(8.8 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Version 1.8.2 is on the server. It...

- fixes all Elf Chess problems ("no fog" is now default, captured units placed on the sidelines correctly, units named correctly, game ends after checkmate message).
- fixes some image path issues for Orocia and Deep Shrine
- remove the remaining 'show stats' menu choices, as stats in Orocia and Deep Shrine are displayed along the side since the 1.8 version update.
- makes all necessary strings translatable
- includes the most recent japanese translation (thanks, itota!)
norbert

Post by norbert »

Dovolente wrote:Version 1.8.2 is on the server. It...
- appears to have a new scenario, "2p - Grammeng", but it isn't working (yet)?
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

norbert wrote:
Dovolente wrote:Version 1.8.2 is on the server. It...
- appears to have a new scenario, "2p - Grammeng", but it isn't working (yet)?
Oops, I thought I had disabled that via comments. It is a work in progress that isn't really playable quite yet.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Dovolente wrote:Oops, I thought I had disabled that via comments. It is a work in progress that isn't really playable quite yet.
You have, I just noticed its files in the package.
But I now understand why the scenario didn't show up yet, thanks.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Version 1.9.1 is now on the server. It fixes depreciated WML and a few bugs that slipped past when I first updated for the Wesnoth 1.9 server.

I also readjusted Orocia and Deep Shrine to include a few more bonus/power-up spaces, since it appears the majority of players (sometimes including me) prefer less hardcore versions. :)
Dovolente

Re: Dov's MP Maps - 1.9 now has "Item Drops" mod

Post by Dovolente »

Version 1.9 now packs the Settlers and XP Eras together with the maps. It also introduces the alpha version of the "Item Drops" mod/era.

"Item Drops" makes it so that some units occasionally drop items upon death (which are immediately taken up by the victor). Currently just weapons drop. The weapon strength is based on the slain unit's level, the turn (the later the better), and a little luck. Plans for rings, potions, and scrolls are in the works for upcoming versions of the mod.
Darkening

Post by Darkening »

Just thought I'd let you know, in the 1.8 version of cutthroat, the wave on turn 24 has a "drake gladiator" come. this got renamed to drake thrasher in 1.8 so it crashes the game when that turn comes up. It's not very complicated to change, and I can do it for my version, but I thought I'd put it out here so that it could get fixed on the official version.
itota

Post by itota »

How about this?
A new unit can buy traits that are allowed to the unit and it doesn't have. I think quick is vital at 1st turn and intelligent is also important in some scenarios. In Orocia, my fencer without quick doesn't reach the village across river. And mages need to be intelligent in most survival maps. I hope you are interested in this idea and willing to make it if possible.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

re: Darkening, thanks for the tip.

re: itota- trait purchasing sounds like a tweak that could be added to the XP mod (let a unit get into negative xp--if that is possible--for trait purchases, so they could be used the first turn). I'll think about it next time I get around to updating the pack. That may not be for a good while though.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

SHOPS MOD/ERA -- I'm going to be updating my pack in the next week or two with a new era which allows units at a keep to access a shop through the right-click menu. So any map, from Isar's Cross to Orocia, will have shops if played with this era.

Obviously, making any map into a shop map plays havoc with game/unit balance. But I'd like to aim for something that keeps the choice of purchasing shop upgrades vs. purchasing new units a tactically interesting choice, without a 100% best choice for every case. I think that is a feasible aim.

I played a test game or two this morning, and the basic implementation seems to work fairly well.

Here are starting objects/figures -- the prices will need fine-tuning:
costs
Included so far:
{VARIABLE potion_cost_cure 3} - cures poison
{VARIABLE potion_cost_heal 6} - heals a unit with 50% of its maxhp (44hp unit gets a +22 heal)
{VARIABLE armor_cost_leather 5} - +10 vs weapons
{VARIABLE armor_cost_cloak 7}- +10 vs magic
{VARIABLE armor_cost_chain 10} - +20 vs weapons, -1move
{VARIABLE armor_cost_plate 15} - +40 vs weapons, -50%moves, -1dam
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_longsword 6} 7-3 blade
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_mace 6} 6-4 impact
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_dagger 6} 5-4 pierce/backstab
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_crossbow 8} 10-2 pierce
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_longbow 8} 6-3 pierce
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_thunderstick 10} 21-1 pierce
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_darts 10} 3-3 poison ranged
{VARIABLE weapon_cost_net 10} 4-2 slow ranged
{VARIABLE wand_cost_fire 12} 7-3 magic
{VARIABLE wand_cost_cold 12} 7-3 magic
{VARIABLE wand_cost_arcane 12} 7-3 magic

Not sure if I'm going to implement these yet:
{VARIABLE potion_cost_speed 10} - +1 move
{VARIABLE potion_cost_accuracy 14} - +1 dam, all weapons
{VARIABLE potion_cost_frenzy 30}- +1 strike, all weapons
Another idea was to have a 'magical gear' section which would be different for each game (but the same for all sides, and the same all throughout that game). The shop menu would be set up with a mix things like 'ring of waterwalking', 'phial of light', 'ring of regeneration', 'flying carpet', etc. That would make things harder to balance, of course, but would add a fun element for each game.
Dovolente

Re: Dov's MP Pack - Now with Shops Era

Post by Dovolente »

To celebrate the fifth anniversary of the map pack, the latest version (v1.10) now contains the Shop Era!

You can now use shops on any map. :) Shops include potions and armor, a random selection of weapons and magical artifacts, and an exchange for converting XP to gold.

The item prices could still use some tweaking, and I welcome feedback about them.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Hello. I see you wish to have your add-on translated. Unfortunately, it has problems:

- Your textdomain declaration is commented out
- Your textdomain should be named “wesnoth-Dov_MP_Maps”
- None of your files are bound to any domain; add “#textdomain wesnoth-Dov_MP_Maps” to the first lines of your files that have translatable strings
- 3p_Deep_Shrine.cfg has a binding that binds most of the file to the “wesnoth” domain, even though “wesnoth” probably has none of the strings in that file
- Some strings that should be marked as translatable are not marked as such, like the string on line 198 of 6p_Rumble3D.cfg

There may be more issues, but just take care of these issues, reupload, and I’ll tell if you if anything else needs to be done.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Thanks for the translation help & info. I'm in the process of making those changes and have more work to do (like remove macro calls with translatable strings, and changing some WML that is customized for English articles). I've commented out #translate=yes for now, till I can get that stuff completed.

For version 1.16, the shop era has gotten a lot of survival-style playtesting and subsequent cost adjustments. There are also various improvements and additions--the ability to purchase some items only once (such as the Eyes) and a 'fidelity' potion that grants the loyalty trait. Prices are still under review and not finalized in this version, but I feel like they're working better now.

Items and prices for 1.16:
Spoiler:
I also added a 'discard weapon' option for the Drops mod, since units can get cluttered with useless junk, and included it in the shops mod too in case units prefer to ditch older weapons for newer.
WinterDryad

Post by WinterDryad »

hey Dovolente, I just wrote a macro to combine weapons that fits quite well with the item drops one. Since it's quite useless to use it alone (not much fun if you can use it only once on an unit with a couple of attacks), but helps a lot if you can keep combining your weapons with the ones you get by random drops, are you interested in adding it to the dov's pack?

Basically it works like this:
Weapon A
Weapon B
50% chance to get A or B name,range and icon
50% chance to get A or B type
Random (from lesser damage to greater damage) damage
Random (from lesser number to greater number) number
50% chance to retain specials if present (for each special, single chance)

works fine with all wesnoth core specials

I'm currently testing it, let me know if you are interested^^