SurvivalXtreme: Version C.01!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

meriton

Post by meriton »

On another note, loading a game of SurvivalXtreme that was saved in text-mode (i.e. with binary saves unchecked in the advanced options dialog of wesnoth) was broken due to incorrect use of array variables (wesnoth does not support arrays of scalar types). Find attached a modification of version 1.10a that fixes this issue by turning "armors" and "killbonus" into ordinary variables.
Attachments
SurvivalXtreme_macros.cfg.gz
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

meriton wrote:
Actually, if playing with the standard gold setting, do you even realize how much of a disadvantage it is to have less gold than usual to spend, even if in trade for another weapon?
Yes, but it is a temporary disadvantage. Yes, the hero will be more fragile in the early game, but having multiple damage types (and especially weapon specials such as magical or drain) is invaluable in the late game.

For instance, my standard way of playing is to buy the cold drain melee attack for 40 gold and the magical impact melee attack for 45 gold. There is no opponent in SurvivalXtreme that isn't sensitive to either impact or cold, life drain allows free healing and magical effective leader assault. Yes, surviving the early game is tricky; I always stay within reach of a shop and heal frequently. But once the early game is over, I can attack anything, and often win around turn 70 by killing all leaders.
...heck... it almost looks like I'll have to do a complete repricing of the weapons... :evil:
meriton wrote:Complicated in terms of WML coding, or in terms of rule complexity as perceived by players? If the coding is the issue: I'm willing to do it. And why do you think the benefit is low?
Complicated in the terms of WML-coding. However, as I said, I don't like this idea very much. That's why I think the benefit is low.
meriton wrote:Also I thought some more about giving gold of a kill to all players. Unlike diminishing returns, this would not address the issue that SurvivalXtreme is easier with less players. Hence, players have an interest in the team mates dieing, which hardly fosters cooperation ...
Well, I think I'll do that. I don't feel like making the game harder for single players however. Heck, I'll have to reprice everything...
meriton wrote:On another note, loading a game of SurvivalXtreme that was saved in text-mode (i.e. with binary saves unchecked in the advanced options dialog of wesnoth) was broken due to incorrect use of array variables (wesnoth does not support arrays of scalar types). Find attached a modification of version 1.10a that fixes this issue by turning "armors" and "killbonus" into ordinary variables.
Sorry for my stupidness, but I don't really get what's wrong. I'll check it out, however.
meriton

Post by meriton »

Check out the rewritten VariablesWML on the wiki; it is my best attempt at explaining how variables work. The answer to what is wrong with the old implementation of armors and killbonus can be deduced from the Kinds of Variables section by observing that a variable named armors[1] must be a container variable, but it is used as if it were a scalar one. For most tags, that works fine, but it break the syntax of the savefile wml, causing loading a text save game to fail with a WML syntax error.

Since the bug only manifests if a wesnoth setting (binary saves) is manually changed, it is not that important to fix, but since it wasn't difficult either, I went ahead and did it.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

meriton wrote:Check out the rewritten VariablesWML on the wiki; it is my best attempt at explaining how variables work. The answer to what is wrong with the old implementation of armors and killbonus can be deduced from the Kinds of Variables section by observing that a variable named armors[1] must be a container variable, but it is used as if it were a scalar one. For most tags, that works fine, but it break the syntax of the savefile wml, causing loading a text save game to fail with a WML syntax error.

Since the bug only manifests if a wesnoth setting (binary saves) is manually changed, it is not that important to fix, but since it wasn't difficult either, I went ahead and did it.
Alright. However, I worked into the night to get SX to version 1.11. There are many major changes. Almost anything has been repriced, especially the weapons. Gold gained by kills and chests is halved and then gained by every player. However, this doesn't apply to chests dropped by dead players because that would create the possiblity to cheat gold. Bosses are now clearly marked as bosses, and also give more gold than common enemies if defeated. Check it out on the campaign server, just as always.
meriton

Post by meriton »

Great job! I playtested it some, and liked it.

In the first game I played, the idea that everyone gets gold was met with immediate approval, as if they had wondered why that wasn't that way. We had to abort the game due to technical difficulties (unrelated to SurvivalXtreme).

In the second game, one player was loudly complaining about the change, calling it unfair ("players can just stand back and still get gold") and saying it made the game too easy.

All in all, I think the new version is better. The only negative observation I made was that the game seemed to become too easy after about turn 15, I think that is because players now get more gold than before (assuming more than 2 players are left, which was the case in our game). We won by defeating all enemies in turn 52. I have attached the replay in case you can use it for (validating) balancing.
Attachments
SurvivalXtremeChambers_Spielverlauf.gz
meriton, sung, and Hakkai win SurvivalXtremeChambers 1.11, starting with 250 gold and level 1 heros, in 52 turns.
(73.58 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Yeah, I already know it's pretty easy now, and already tried to rebalance it. The creeps do now become much stronger somewhat earlier than before, and increasing damage does now cost 20 instead of 15 gold. I currently can't decide whether I should raise the costs for enhancements in the later game or not, so I'd like to hear other people's opinions. I'll have a look at the replay, thanks.

EDIT: Yo, your replay kinda helped. I achieved a grade of difficulty I'm pretty happy with by now, so I just uploaded the updated version to the campaign server (1.11a). It should now stay quite difficult even later on. I tested this update with 5 players (standard settings, lvl1) all controlled by myself in SXMaze, and finished off all leader by turn 74/80 with only two players surviving (Elvish Champion and Elvish Sylph). However, I didn't save the replay... Be careful, the creeps will now get seriously dangerous later on if you aren't careful enough. The bosses are now also some kind of challenge. Enjoy.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

SurvivalXtreme 1.12 has been released. There are quite a lot of balancement changes and some bugfixes, so check it out on the campaign server.
meriton

Post by meriton »

The new version is quite challenging, and requires coordination between team mates at times. I like it :)

I actually lost two games in a row last night, which hasn't happened since I was a newbie at SurvivalXtreme.

I can't help bragging about my most recent game, though:

We started SurvivalXtremeChambers 1.12, with the recommended starting gold of 300 starting gold, and level 1 heroes. Before turn 6, two heroes met their fate, by turn 20, I was the only player left. I then played the game to the end - and won in turn 87 after killing all enemy leaders.

A particularly funny thing happened in turn 82, when an allied drake blademaster called "Boss" spawned and promptly assaulted the drake leader. (I'd have won the game even without that help, though).

The strategy I employed is very similar to the one I described last time (buy melee impact magical 7-2, melee cold drain 5-1, and invest the bulk of the money into melee damage and melee strike upgrades), the only change was to buy more hp in the beginning, and to increase my mp to 25 during the game. I think this demonstrates that the drain weapon is still overpowered in the late game. You know my proposed remedy ;)

In case it helps with balancing (or contributes to my fame ;)), I have attached the replay.
Attachments
SurvivalXtremeChambers_replay.gz
meriton wins SurvivalXtremeChambers in turn 87, after killing 466 units by inflicting 143928 damage, and receiving 8384 damage himself.

He started with 300 gold, a level one unit, and 4 other players (who had perished by turn 20).
(115.43 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

An allied drake boss? I'll have to check that...

Version 1.13 has been released...
The new difficulty is pretty good, yes. However, for some people it's still too easy, and for some other it's too hard now, so I've finally implemented the possiblity to set the difficulty in the beginning (affects the amount of gold gained by killing enemies). For now it's triggered by the first player's move. I'll have to check if that causes OOS in multiplayer, though. I've also added another new map called SurvivalXtremeAdventure. Just check it out. Other than that, I improved the comments in my macro file a lot and did some other minor improvements. Enjoy.

And thanks for the replay again, I'll have a close look at it.
Riklaunim

Post by Riklaunim »

I've chnged the *Advanced map making the starting point a stronghold (screen) - designed as a game with 25 starting gold :)) Also I've added some water ford though the map so fish/nagas can be used by players.

Code: Select all

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWWQQQWWWWWWWWWwwwWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWXXXWWWWWWWWWWWfWWWWWWWWWWWwWWWWX
XWWWWWWccwQcccWWWWWQQQwwwwWWWWWWWWWWWXXEEfXXWWWWWWWgfgfhWWWWWWWwwwgWWWX
XWWWWccwwckkkkccWqQQQmfkwwwwWWWWWWWQXEEXXXEfXXWWWgggghggmmWWWWWwwwwWWWX
XWWccwwWWccccckkWqQkhkkgfhwwwwWWWQQQkkXWWWXXEXWoggfghmhgffmhWwwWwWWWWWX
XWcccwWsccccccckWqkWkghmggmfwwwWQQQffgkkkkWXEXWofggggggggffggWWWWWWWWWX
XWmmddWcssccccWkWqwwWPgghgfWWwwWQgggggghhhkkEXWogmhggggwwwgggWWWWkWoWWX
XWW2d3Wwkcccc/WkWq/\WggggWWWwwwWQggfgghmmmhrkXWokkhkkwwhfhwwmWWkkooooWX
XWPPooWok\c//i\QQqwwfghgWrrWwkkQNgfcfNhmsmhroooorrkrwffwwfwwwrrkoooooWX
XWgk1oook/\\iiWQ6qwwggmgrrrWwkq7NgmcmNNmsmhrro8orrrrmfwwwfwwrorkooo9oWX
XWP4o5Wwkccc\\/]Qqw/fghgWWrWwkqQNgfffghmsmhroXoorkkkwwfhwhwwrrrkoooooWX
XWWmddWcksccccW]Wq\wWPggggWWwwkWNggggghhmhhkkXWokmhgkgwwfwwwwWrkoooooWX
XWmcdwWsscccccW]WqwWWggmhgffWwwWQQgfgggkhkkXEXWogghgggggwgggmWWWkkoooWX
XWcccwWWccccc]]]WqkkkkhgghmwwwwWQQQQfkkWkWWXEXWogggggmgggfgggWWWWWWWWWX
XWWWccwwWcc]]cccWqQQhmkkfwwwwWWWWWQQkEXXWXXfEXWofggghhhggffhgwWWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWccww]ccccWWWQQQQfwwwwWWWWWWWWWXXEEXfEXXWWWggfgggggfmmWWWwwwwWWWWX
XWWWWWWWcQQQcWWWWWWWQQwwwWWWWWWWWWWWWWXXEXXWWWWWWWggggghmWWWWWWwwwwWWWX
XWWWWWWWWWQWWWWWWWWWWWwWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWXWWWWWWWWWWWfffWWWWWWWWWwwgWWWX
XXWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Also for example *Battle map uses grass - It could be mixed (sand, desert, water ford, other). A screen of map:

Code: Select all

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWX
XWcgggghmhggghmmWmmhggghmhgggkcWX
XWgkkkWWfggfggfhWhfdgfggfWkkkkgWX
XWfg1gkgkkghgdwwWwwdghggWkkg3gfWX
XWhWWgkgdIkfdgwqWqwIgfdkkgggWWhWX
XWmhggdgImkgggwwWwwggkgmIgdgghmWX
XWWWfgghqq&kgdwfWfwigk&qqhdgfWWWX
XWuuHfddfXmIkihmWmhIikmXfgdfHuuWX
XW'uWhgdhiIgkihfWfhIkgddhIghWu'WX
XWWWWmQgdIdmPkdgWgkddmidIgQmWWWWX
XWWWWWhfggdfhkgfWfkkhfPIgfhWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWgggIkhgQWQghkIgggWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWWEfWgmwQQQWQQQwmgWfEWWWWWWX
XWWWWEEEWWWWQQ6QWQ8QQWWWWEEEWWWWX
XWWWWWEWWWWWQWQwwwQWQWWWWWEWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWWWWWWWww5wwWWWWWWWWWWWWWX
XWWWWEEEWWWWQQQQwQQQQWWWWEEEWWWWX
XWWWWWEEWWWmQQ9QWQ7QQmWWWEEWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWfggkwhQQWQQhwkggfWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWWfgkkfkIgfWfgIkfkggfWWWWWWX
XWWWWmhgikgmhdgiWggdhmkddghmWWWWX
XWWuWhQddikgPggfWfidiPkIIgQhWuWWX
XW'uWfgIhXikddhmWmhggkiXhggfWu'WX
XWuWHgghdqmkIihfWfhigkmqfhdgHWuWX
XWWhfgddqm&iIgwwWwwddk&mqgkdfhWWX
XWmWgggggkkfdgwqWqwgdfkkkdgggWmWX
XWhgWggkkgghggwwWwwgghggIgkgWghWX
XWfg4kgWgggfggwhWhwggfgggWkg2gfWX
XWgkkkWhfhggghfmWmfhggghfhWkkkkWX
XWcWgWgWmWgWgWmWWWmWgWgWmWgWgWcWX
XXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Kernigh

Pretty version

Post by Kernigh »

A pretty version of the previous post, using [ map ] instead of [ code ] tags:
Riklaunim wrote:I've chnged the *Advanced map making the starting point a stronghold (screen) - designed as a game with 25 starting gold :)) Also I've added some water ford though the map so fish/nagas can be used by players.
[map]XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWWQQQWWWWWWWWWwwwWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWXXXWWWWWWWWWWWfWWWWWWWWWWWwWWWWX
XWWWWWWccwQcccWWWWWQQQwwwwWWWWWWWWWWWXXEEfXXWWWWWWWgfgfhWWWWWWWwwwgWWWX
XWWWWccwwckkkkccWqQQQmfkwwwwWWWWWWWQXEEXXXEfXXWWWgggghggmmWWWWWwwwwWWWX
XWWccwwWWccccckkWqQkhkkgfhwwwwWWWQQQkkXWWWXXEXWoggfghmhgffmhWwwWwWWWWWX
XWcccwWsccccccckWqkWkghmggmfwwwWQQQffgkkkkWXEXWofggggggggffggWWWWWWWWWX
XWmmddWcssccccWkWqwwWPgghgfWWwwWQgggggghhhkkEXWogmhggggwwwgggWWWWkWoWWX
XWW2d3Wwkcccc/WkWq/\WggggWWWwwwWQggfgghmmmhrkXWokkhkkwwhfhwwmWWkkooooWX
XWPPooWok\c//i\QQqwwfghgWrrWwkkQNgfcfNhmsmhroooorrkrwffwwfwwwrrkoooooWX
XWgk1oook/\\iiWQ6qwwggmgrrrWwkq7NgmcmNNmsmhrro8orrrrmfwwwfwwrorkooo9oWX
XWP4o5Wwkccc\\/]Qqw/fghgWWrWwkqQNgfffghmsmhroXoorkkkwwfhwhwwrrrkoooooWX
XWWmddWcksccccW]Wq\wWPggggWWwwkWNggggghhmhhkkXWokmhgkgwwfwwwwWrkoooooWX
XWmcdwWsscccccW]WqwWWggmhgffWwwWQQgfgggkhkkXEXWogghgggggwgggmWWWkkoooWX
XWcccwWWccccc]]]WqkkkkhgghmwwwwWQQQQfkkWkWWXEXWogggggmgggfgggWWWWWWWWWX
XWWWccwwWcc]]cccWqQQhmkkfwwwwWWWWWQQkEXXWXXfEXWofggghhhggffhgwWWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWccww]ccccWWWQQQQfwwwwWWWWWWWWWXXEEXfEXXWWWggfgggggfmmWWWwwwwWWWWX
XWWWWWWWcQQQcWWWWWWWQQwwwWWWWWWWWWWWWWXXEXXWWWWWWWggggghmWWWWWWwwwwWWWX
XWWWWWWWWWQWWWWWWWWWWWwWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWXWWWWWWWWWWWfffWWWWWWWWWwwgWWWX
XXWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX[/map]

Also for example *Battle map uses grass - It could be mixed (sand, desert, water ford, other). A screen of map:
[map]XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWX
XWcgggghmhggghmmWmmhggghmhgggkcWX
XWgkkkWWfggfggfhWhfdgfggfWkkkkgWX
XWfg1gkgkkghgdwwWwwdghggWkkg3gfWX
XWhWWgkgdIkfdgwqWqwIgfdkkgggWWhWX
XWmhggdgImkgggwwWwwggkgmIgdgghmWX
XWWWfgghqq&kgdwfWfwigk&qqhdgfWWWX
XWuuHfddfXmIkihmWmhIikmXfgdfHuuWX
XW'uWhgdhiIgkihfWfhIkgddhIghWu'WX
XWWWWmQgdIdmPkdgWgkddmidIgQmWWWWX
XWWWWWhfggdfhkgfWfkkhfPIgfhWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWgggIkhgQWQghkIgggWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWWEfWgmwQQQWQQQwmgWfEWWWWWWX
XWWWWEEEWWWWQQ6QWQ8QQWWWWEEEWWWWX
XWWWWWEWWWWWQWQwwwQWQWWWWWEWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWWWWWWWww5wwWWWWWWWWWWWWWX
XWWWWEEEWWWWQQQQwQQQQWWWWEEEWWWWX
XWWWWWEEWWWmQQ9QWQ7QQmWWWEEWWWWWX
XWWWWWWWfggkwhQQWQQhwkggfWWWWWWWX
XWWWWWWfgkkfkIgfWfgIkfkggfWWWWWWX
XWWWWmhgikgmhdgiWggdhmkddghmWWWWX
XWWuWhQddikgPggfWfidiPkIIgQhWuWWX
XW'uWfgIhXikddhmWmhggkiXhggfWu'WX
XWuWHgghdqmkIihfWfhigkmqfhdgHWuWX
XWWhfgddqm&iIgwwWwwddk&mqgkdfhWWX
XWmWgggggkkfdgwqWqwgdfkkkdgggWmWX
XWhgWggkkgghggwwWwwgghggIgkgWghWX
XWfg4kgWgggfggwhWhwggfgggWkg2gfWX
XWgkkkWhfhggghfmWmfhggghfhWkkkkWX
XWcWgWgWmWgWgWmWWWmWgWgWmWgWgWcWX
XXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX[/map]
Kernigh

SurvivalXtremeMaze eventually unplayable

Post by Kernigh »

Clonkinator wrote:The new difficulty is pretty good, yes. However, for some people it's still too easy, and for some other it's too hard now, ...
I remember when a single unit with 50-10 attacks and 1000 hp could win a SurvivalXtreme map. Today, that is not so. Three characters with more than 1000 hp and attacks around 95-19 fought the AI to a stalemate in SurvivalXtremeMaze 1.13 at turn 90. Though I had set the game for unlimited turns, I had to stop at turn 90 because the undead AI was taking more than 20 minutes to decide its moves.

To reach turn 90, I had already waited through several long and slow AI side turns. Such slow turns would occur whenever I parked one or more of my units near multiple AI recruits. I would have avoided slow turns if I would kill masses of AI recruits before their turn. However, sometimes the AI recruits were out of reach, sometimes I had to park my unit on defensive terrain rather then risk death, and sometimes 95-19 was not enough to kill a recruit in one turn. The AI recruits had hundreds of hp (some even had 10 or 15 more hp then their max); that likely caused slow damage calculations.

I do have the replay, but the replay goes out-of-sync at turn 54 (about when I saved and reloaded the game). However the save does let me resume the game at turn 90.
Clonkinator

Re: SurvivalXtremeMaze eventually unplayable

Post by Clonkinator »

Kernigh wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:The new difficulty is pretty good, yes. However, for some people it's still too easy, and for some other it's too hard now, ...
I remember when a single unit with 50-10 attacks and 1000 hp could win a SurvivalXtreme map. Today, that is not so. Three characters with more than 1000 hp and attacks around 95-19 fought the AI to a stalemate in SurvivalXtremeMaze 1.13 at turn 90. Though I had set the game for unlimited turns, I had to stop at turn 90 because the undead AI was taking more than 20 minutes to decide its moves.

To reach turn 90, I had already waited through several long and slow AI side turns. Such slow turns would occur whenever I parked one or more of my units near multiple AI recruits. I would have avoided slow turns if I would kill masses of AI recruits before their turn. However, sometimes the AI recruits were out of reach, sometimes I had to park my unit on defensive terrain rather then risk death, and sometimes 95-19 was not enough to kill a recruit in one turn. The AI recruits had hundreds of hp (some even had 10 or 15 more hp then their max); that likely caused slow damage calculations.

I do have the replay, but the replay goes out-of-sync at turn 54 (about when I saved and reloaded the game). However the save does let me resume the game at turn 90.
It never happened to me yet that the AI takes this much time to decide it's moves, not even after turn 100. Sounds bad, however. Maybe I'll reduce the recruits' HP again and give them higher resistances instead...

Btw, Version 1.14 has been released. It contains several monir improvements and fixes. Two major things are that
1.) The drain weapons have been removed because they were messing up the game balance
2.) The money transaction screen is no colored and shows the players' names.
Check it out at the campaign server.

EDIT: @Riklaunim: I actually agree that some of my maps could use more different terrain, and I will also revamp my maps as soon as I get around it. Maybe I'll also just your modified ones, let's see.
Duck

Post by Duck »

Hi Clonkinator,
Thanks for your great work so far!

I have a problem with the survivalextreme battle map: If I am the host I will always get an error message while the computer makes his moves. I don´t have that error when playing on other survival maps. I didn´t have any problems at all in previous versions of survivalextreme battle (1.12 or lower).
Riklaunim

Post by Riklaunim »

a crazy remix of the adventure map :)
[map]XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWX
XWWWEEWffhmoWoWWWoWomhffWEEWX
XWWWEoWwgdhoooo9oooohdgwWoEWX
XWWWWrghIg|WoooooooW|gIhgrWWX
XWWWIrgmmg|WXXoWoXXW|gmmIrIWX
XWWWfrIIhd|fWWWlWWWf|dhIIrfWX
XWWWfrgfwg|dfol'lofd|gwfgrfWX
XWWWc|hmfg|kgWlllWgg|gfmh|cWX