Heroes' Arena v0.20

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Another bug report: you misspelled ancient lich, so you get a unit not found when it appears... you got the lich part right, so just search for that and you should find it.

perhaps the orc could get a net attack, and if it kills stuff with the net attack, that's how it gets them on its side, and then you could have a second upgrade for enslaving level ones, and a few more options... if you put leadership in this tree, that would work well, and then if you had an option to do less strikes/more damage when you attacked (talk to Bob_The_Mighty for info on good ways on doing this, he has some cool new 'training' elements for RPG's that he was using on the 1.2 server yesterday)you could start another tree as well
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
TL

Post by TL »

Yeah, I know difficulty is an issue. I've attempted to accelerate the pace of harder enemies appearing since the original version, which is a big part of it I think. Also experience requirements ramp up faster this time, which I think I'm going to change. Currently the game usually seems easier with fewer players, perhaps because having more players tends to demand more cooperation to deal with the increased enemies (if everybody's doing their own thing, the enemies will tend to gang up on whoever's weakest/closest, so they're screwed, and then once they're knocked out everyone else is screwed.)

I'm about to upload a new version to fix the bugs reported here and make the change to experience. The rune of fire thing actually wasn't supposed to be in, I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted so I took it out but forgot to remove the menu option for it. Everything else should be fixed.

Yes, it's deliberate that the heroes are only level 2. The cruelty special is already very, very powerful early on, which is part of the tradeoff for it being less effective later against higher level enemies (similarly, I don't want leadership and related abilities to be too effective). It doesn't go completely obsolete until after turn 90, though. I think I probably will add an upgraded version that acts as if it were level 3, though.

Net attack for orc is a good idea but I'm not sure how exactly it should be tied into capturing slaves. Following the general precedent would mean making the net be a slowing attack, so it would either have to be a very weak attack (and make capturing very difficult) or else be way too powerful for an attack that also slows.

Not sure about capturing level 1s. For one thing, it would be kind of a pain to do (currently the way I do the enslave ability is by having a separate plague ability attached for each type of living level 0 unit, which filters for that specific unit type) and for another thing it would be very powerful, especially if it were available early on. Level 0s stop showing up altogether about halfway through the game so I agree it should probably be possible somehow but I don't want to make it too easy to start capturing level 1s early on.

An alternate tree focusing on lower strikes but more damage might also be a good idea. It would help diversify the orc a bit and make for a different focus than some of the existing upgrade paths (e.g. you would probably want to choose between either doing that or going for cleave/whirl, since fewer attacks means less cleaving opportunities).
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

An upgrade option for Cruelty sounds like a good idea.

Haven't been able to try the new version (no net at home atm :( ) but from what I'm playing there is a serious error with Fire Shield for me. About 1 out of 30 times it goes into effect, it completely annihilates everything on the map, including the players. No damage numbers are shown. All the units simply fall over dead.

Is Fury supposed to allow you unlimited melee attacks? I'm not sure from the description.

Also, I think you should consider changing the wording of Vigorous. It makes it seem like it cancels out poison. I think you could just leave any mention of poison out of it, because everyone knows that 8-4=4.
TL

Post by TL »

Oops, I was under the impression that regenerates with poison=slowed would cancel out poison damage even if the amount of regeneration was less than 4. Dang, I'm going to have to do something about that... it makes poison more dangerous than intended.

The fireshield thing is new to me. No idea why that would happen...

OH CRAP. I just realized the version I uploaded yesterday had extra skillpoints put in for testing and I never took them out. :oops: Also noticed a few other small bugs so I just uploaded a new fix. I haven't done anything with fireshield yet as I have no idea what's going on there.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

My bad about the poison thing. I thought it was taking off 4 HP when it wasn't. Still, I think "counteracts" is a confusing word to use. If I were you, I'd say "[Vigor] stops, (but does not heal) poison"

About the 100 turns thing...first, I think that's too long. If you're trying to make this anything like Colosseum, one of the main charms to it was how short the games where. 100 turns is also ridiculously hard. I just played for over an hour and a half on 30% exp and I think I died on turn 80 something. Of course, I could just suck, but I don't think I can possibly suck to the point of someone else being able to get further with 100% exp.

Maybe you could keep this version and add a difficulty selection, again, like Colosseum. Maybe that difficulty selection would have direct ties to how many turns the game takes.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Could you please consider creating a sub-version of this for the Wesnoth 1.2.x-branch if possible? I'm amazed about what I heard about this mod, and I'd really like to play it. However, unfortunitally I don't have any access to the Wesnoth 1.3.x-branch (My 56k-modem...), and thus also can't play it... :(
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

A lot of the abilities (like Infiltrate, Plant Growth, Animate Tree, Animate Mud and Teleport, just to name a few) are on command (meaning you have to right click somewhere to get them to work), a feature that 1.2.x doesn't have. The leveling up system also uses the command function.

Maybe I shouldn't speak for TL, but I doubt he's going to be interested in making a gimpy version of the scenario for 1.2.x.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Alright, then never mind. I'll have to ask my friend for a copy of Wesnoth 1.3.4 then...
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

please make it use the survival extreme multikill feature

[edit: nevermind I found the orchish warlord ^^]
TL

Post by TL »

(back from vacation)

If you can get ahold of a copy of the dev version through any means, I'd really recommend it as a lot of things are just vastly easier to do in 1.3.x (Although you might want to hold out for 1.3.6 now that it's been released). Most of what I've done in this scenario would probably be possible in the 1.2 branch but would be a LOT harder and take way more time. I know more people are still on 1.2 for now but in my opinion the upgrade is still worth it (although I still play both).
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Finally tried this for the first time today! Great job on the AMLA advancements and coming up with unique character types/skills! Not the usual, ridiculously overpowered stuff! :D

It's great to see that the right-click thing is workable in MP, I thought it might be a source of OOS.

At least with two players, the game seemed nigh impossible. Not that that is a bad thing, necessarily. :wink:

However, I'd like to see a way to get rid of poison and a way to get some healing. Perhaps you want to consider sacrificing an AMLA for a non-permanent upgrade of curing or heal + 25. It would help the player in a pinch, but prevent long-term progress if over-used. :wink:

Somehow I feel the game lacks a bit of direction, though. In the colosseum (which I don't like to play btw), which has a similar, although smaller map there is a constant in/out movement with each wave. The waves set the pace and give the game a certain rhythm. Here, I felt a bit lost and directionless, and while there is some incentive to try to visit the various castles, it just isn't enough. It seems the best (especially for some characters like the dwarf) is to hole up in some corner after visiting one, perhaps two castles and just hold off the waves from there. When a friend dies, you're separated. Holding the centre seems too boring by comparison, IMO.

I don't know, perhaps this would shine with some other victory conditions. It could be a quest to visit the various locations (with a little story perhaps). The locations could unlock something special, like another set of skills, a bigger enemy, a change of the map to make things harder. That alone would give the player a sense of progress. I just don't find the XP a very strong incentive, except for in the beginning.

(I think it's very hard to come up with new gameplay features and make the whole scenario exciting and engaging on the first try - I certainly have failed in that regard with all of my projects :wink: - so take what I say here with a pinch of salt. There's almost no MP scenarios to date that I really enjoy playing without the feeling that it needs some improvement)

It's good to see capable and creative work such as this - it's immensely inspiring! :D
TL

Post by TL »

That's a good point. Maybe instead of spawning a handful of enemies per player per turn I should have it spawn larger waves every 3-6 turns to give it more of a rhythm, so there's more opportunity/incentive to move around a bit during lulls. I have noticed the "hunker down" effect especially in solo games, although with more than one player it generally pays to stick together (which is part of the reason it seems to get harder with more players, since it needs more coordination).

Update: I uploaded a new version with the spawns in large waves every 5th turn instead of every turn. There are also a few miscellaneous additions as well (the orc's army-building tree is expanded a bit and is now based on a net attack as suggested).
savagust

Post by savagust »

This scenario is great!
I think it would be one of the greatest multiplayer scenarios. :D

In this scenario, skill points are very valuable and many skills have prerequisite.
I think there should be a skill tree (perhaps an option on the right-click menu) to let players know what they will get.
However, someone may consider this as a spoiler.

I have made a skill tree to help myself. Someone may think that is helpful, so I would post it here.
This is based on the "Upgrades.cfg".

<Updated for 0.18>
Earth Magic: Gain magical impact attack
....>Upheaval: Raise plains/snow/sand to hills, or hills to mountains in adjacent hex on command
.........>Volcano: Convert adjacent mountain into temporary lava flow, inflict fire damage on surrounding enemies
....>Animate Earth: Gain ability to summon a mudcrawler from adjacent dirt or sand hex on command
.........>Ceramic Skin: Created mudcrawlers are resistant to fire/cold attacks
.........>Earth Glide: Created mudcrawlers can move through hills, mountains, sand, or cave for 1 movement point
.........>Enduring Clay: Mudcrawlers are created with 10 extra hitpoints
.........>Living Earth: Mudcrawlers are created with regenerates ability
Faerie Magic: Gain magical arcane attack
....>Faerielight: Units in surrounding hexes act as if time of day was always dusk
....>Smite: Holy attacks inflict +25% damage against chaotic opponents
....>Teleport: Gain ability to teleport to an open space in range instead of movement
Fire Magic: Gain magical fire attack
....>Explosive: Fire attack does -25% damage, hits adjacent enemies for 2 damage
....>Fireshield: When defending against melee attacks, attacker takes 2 fire damage each time they hit
....>Magic Barrier: Adjacent allies gain +20 resistance to fire, cold, and arcane when defending
.........>Reflect: Adjacent allies defending against mystical attacks reflect 2 damage back to attacker when hit
....>Teleport: Gain ability to teleport to an open space in range instead of movement
Light Magic: Gain magical arcane attack, +10 arcane resistance
....>Heal: Heal adjacent units +8 HP per turn
.........>Cure: Heals adjacent units of poison
.........+[Race:Human]>Illumination: Illuminates surrounding hexes by 1 step
.........+[Vigor]>Regenerates: Recovers 8 HP or heals poison each turn.
....>Holy Sword: Sword attack inflicts arcane damage, damage increases by 1
.........>Awe: Take -50% damage when attacking in melee
.........>Smite: Holy attacks inflict +25% damage against chaotic opponents
....-Shadow Magic: Gain magical cold attack, neutral alignment
Nature Magic: Gain magical pierce attack
....>Barkskin: Gain resistance to cold, pierce, impact, become vulnerable to fire
....>Entangle: Gain slowing impact attack
.........+[Plant Growth]>Living Vines: Gain ability to automatically slow enemies in all adjacent forest hexes on command
....>Heal: Heal adjacent units +8 HP per turn
.........>Cure: Heals adjacent units of poison
.........+[Race:Human]>Illumination: Illuminates surrounding hexes by 1 step
.........+[Vigor]>Regenerates: Recovers 8 HP or heals poison each turn.
....>Plant Growth: Gain ability to convert adjacent hex from grassland to forest on command
.........>Animate Trees: Gain ability to summon a wose from adjacent forest hex (converts to grassland) on command
.........+[Entangle]>Living Vines: Gain ability to automatically slow enemies in all adjacent forest hexes on command
Rune Magic: Gain magical fire attack
....>Enchant Weapon: Gain ability to boost adjacent ally's melee weapon damage by 50% for 1 turn on command
....>Magic Barrier: Adjacent allies gain +20 resistance to fire, cold, and arcane when defending
.........>Reflect: Adjacent allies defending against mystical attacks reflect 2 damage back to attacker when hit
....>blah*not found*
Shadow Magic: Gain magical cold attack, neutral alignment
....-Light Magic: Gain magical arcane attack, +10 arcane resistance
....>Necromancy: Shadow wave attack creates walking corpses from slain foes
.........>Dark Aura: Increases attack strength of adjacent lower-level undead
.........>Lichdom: Become undead, gain immunity to poison, resistances/movement as lich
..............>Discorporation: Gain resistances as ghost; hitpoints and physical attack damage decrease -33%
....>Draining: Shadow wave attack drains health from living foes
Strength: Increase melee damage by 1(MAX: 6 times)
Backstab: +50% melee damage when attacking surrounded opponents
Berserk: Melee combat lasts for twice as many rounds
Blitzkrieg: Regain 2 moves after successfully killing an enemy in melee
Charge: Inflict and take +50% more damage in melee
Cleave: Melee hits inflict 2 blade damage to units on either side of target
....>Whirl: Cleave attacks hit all adjacent enemies
Counter: Melee attacks do +25% damage when defending
Cruelty: Melee attack does +25% damage to lower-level units for each level of difference
....>viciousness*not found*
Fury: Can make an additional attack after successful melee attack, but become slowed after first attack
Parry: +10% defense when defending against melee attacks
Reflexes: Firststrike on melee attack
Stun: Melee hits negate enemy ZOC for 1 turn
Barrage: Ranged weapon inflicts 25% more damage on offense.
Dexterity: Increase ranged damage by 1(MAX: 6 times)
Fire Arrows: Gain ranged fire attack
Marksmanship: 60% accuracy when attacking with ranged weapon
Poison: Ranged weapon attack inflicts poison
Woodsmanship: +20% chance to attack with melee and ranged weapon when attacking enemies in forest
Swiftness: Increase movement by 1(MAX: 4 times)
Dodging: +10 defense in grass/sand/snow
Arctic: -1 move cost/+20 defense in snow, +10 cold resistance
Mountaineering: -1 move cost in hills/mountains/caves
Ranger: -1 move cost in forest/sand/swamp
Skirmisher: Ignore enemy zone of control
....+[Race:Elves]>Guerrilla: Can continue moving after attacking
....>Interpose: Gain ability to switch spaces with adjacent unit on command (ends movement)
.........>Infiltrator: Interpose only takes up to 2 movement points and can be used multiple times per turn
Toughness: +10 HP
Endurance: +10 to all resistances
....+[Race:Dwarves]>Steadfast: +10 to all resistances, up to 50, while defending
Vigor: Recover 4 HP per turn
....+[Heal]>Regenerates: Recovers 8 HP or heals poison each turn.
Net: Gain a weak slowing impact ranged attack
....>Slaver: Take control of L0 units defeated with net attack
.........>Whip: Gain an impact melee attack capable of enslaving
.........>Drill Sergeant: Adjacent lower-level allies gain bonus XP when attacking
.........>Leadership: Adjacent lower-level allies do +25% damage for each level of difference

I found some problems when I was making the skill tree.
This scenario is still under development, so I don't know they are bugs or not. Perhaps they are just related to skills that are not added.

1. {MENU_DARK_AURA} and {MENU_LEVITATION} are not found under LEVELUP_MENU.
Also, any trigger for satisfying {CHECK_PREREQ levitation 1} is not found.

2. {VARIABLE current_unit.skill_options.blah 1} under MENU_RUNE_MAGIC and {VARIABLE current_unit.skill_options.viciousness 1} under MENU_CRUELTY are not used for any CHECK_PREREQ.

3. For orcs, "Whirl" can be chosen at the beginning even "Cleave" has not been chosen yet. I think the line, {VARIABLE orcs[$I].skill_options.whirl 1} inside "Arena.cfg", should be deleted.
Last edited by savagust on August 24th, 2007, 5:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
TL

Post by TL »

savagust wrote:1. {MENU_DARK_AURA} and {MENU_LEVITATION} are not found under LEVELUP_MENU.
Also, any trigger for satisfying {CHECK_PREREQ levitation 1} is not found.

2. {VARIABLE current_unit.skill_options.blah 1} under MENU_RUNE_MAGIC and {VARIABLE current_unit.skill_options.viciousness 1} under MENU_CRUELTY are not used for any CHECK_PREREQ.

3. For orcs, "Whirl" can be chosen at the beginning even "Cleave" has not been chosen yet. I think the line, {VARIABLE orcs[$I].skill_options.whirl 1} inside "Arena.cfg", should be deleted.
Whoops, Dark Aura should be in.

Levitation I was kind of debating on, which is why it's not available anywhere yet.

The "blah" under Rune Mage was the Rune of Fire skill which I was working on at one time but have taken out until I can figure out how to get it working exactly as I want.

Viciousness is planned as an upgrade to cruelty but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have no clue how whirl ended up on the list of the orc's starting skills (maybe I was thinking about giving it an additional race-only prerequisite? I don't know). I guess that one's just a huge "DUH" for me... thanks for the heads up.

Impressive work putting together the skill tree btw. I've always meant to do something like that under a "help" menu but have always been busy working on other stuff. The only correction I have is that you've put down strength/dexterity/swiftness as being 1 lower than their actual max (it's 6 for strength/dexterity and 4 for swiftness).
savagust

Post by savagust »

Thanks for reply.
I am still playing it and having fun. :D
TL wrote:The only correction I have is that you've put down strength/dexterity/swiftness as being 1 lower than their actual max (it's 6 for strength/dexterity and 4 for swiftness).
Fixed. :oops: