Ending multiplayer games with money accumulation

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

Ending multiplayer games with money accumulation

Post by Glowing Fish »

I've seen a few games drag on very long, after the issue has actually been decided, because their is a very good (or just annoying!) defense.

Could it be possible to set a multiplayer game so that if one side accumulated enough gold, they would win the game? So if Player 1 had 200 gold, that would count as winning?

Or is that a crazy idea?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

How about just setting a lower turn limit :?
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Although a time limit doesn't declare a winner.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, sure. You have to write those special objectives in the scenario file itself, though (or you could write an era that implements those objectives as era events).

A way to have a number of built-in objectives selectable in the game creation screen would be great to have at some point, IMO. Currently different objectives would be ackward to use.
IB

Post by IB »

Taurus wrote:How about just setting a lower turn limit :?
Glowing Fish wrote:Although a time limit doesn't declare a winner.
I'll answer this with you meaning turn limit.

A turn limit does declare a winner: No-one.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

IB wrote:
Taurus wrote:How about just setting a lower turn limit :?
Glowing Fish wrote:Although a time limit doesn't declare a winner.
I'll answer this with you meaning turn limit.

A turn limit does declare a winner: No-one.
Is not declaring a winner and declaring that no one won the same thing?
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Ending multiplayer games with money accumulation

Post by turin »

Setting a lower turn limit clearly doesn't solve the problem Glowing Fish described:
Glowing Fish wrote:I've seen a few games drag on very long, after the issue has actually been decided, because their is a very good (or just annoying!) defense.
In fact, it makes it worse. The problem is that the game often continues long after it is clear who is going to win, since the losing player can still put up a defense and last for maybe as many as 10 more turns. Glowing Fish wants a way to have the game end earlier, once it is clear who is going to win.

My solution is - play with people who recognize that the endgame can be boring, and who thus will resign once it is clear they will lose. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
palloco

Post by palloco »

turin wrote:My solution is - play with people who recognize that the endgame can be boring, and who thus will resign once it is clear they will lose. ;)
Is this the correct behaviour?
I mean, many games are already lost in the first turn, jusk by looking the stupid recruitments someone made. So the right thing to do is resigning on second turn?
IB

Post by IB »

Glowing Fish wrote:Is not declaring a winner and declaring that no one won the same thing?
No, in one there is a declaration, in the other there isn't one. :P
Gus

Post by Gus »

IB wrote:No, in one there is a declaration, in the other there isn't one. :P
Then you agree you were wrong to say that it declares a winner then, weren't you? =P
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
taro
Inactive Developer

Post by taro »

turin wrote:My solution is - play with people who recognize that the endgame can be boring, and who thus will resign once it is clear they will lose. ;)
Another way: Talk to the player, ask him if he resigns. If not, resign yourself (you know you would have won the game). If he accepts the (boring) game is over and both players are happy ;).
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I remember one game on Isar's cross where my team was technically defeated on turn 3 or so (my ally had all his units wiped out). I managed to retake the center ridge and hold it for nearly twenty turns against the brunt of both players while it was all my ally could do to hold the two hexes of water on his side with naga fighters. I wish I had a replay of that but considering the version it would probably have been corrupt anyway.

I never could figure out why my partner couldn't get off the ground again.

There was another on a different map where a defense line near my keep held so long that I was able to level all of my units to level 3 by killing off the attacking waves. I can't remember the end (darn).
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Zlodzei

Post by Zlodzei »

Mmm...if u THINK that it's solved, prove it. You killed maby units and/or get more gold -- so take him. If you have problems to break his "annoying defense", u don't deserve victory. Just remember that in wesnoth there's a luck and any "concrete plan" can do not work. While opponent thinks he can manage it, the game is not solved. Also, even he loose at last , he will practice in defense and u will practice in attack actions.
I can see you!...