Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp serv

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

no matter what you do, people will be angry and probobly leave. leave it the same, you'll get the same thing as now. change it, you'll probobly lose a lot of people. you could make it so that if someone logs on, they can't use whatever in there names. an example:
example logs in lobby
example_ logs in lobby
example_ gets kicked
ereksos

Let Wesnoth be Wesnoth

Post by ereksos »

Dear All,
Personally, i think all these registration, karma are unnecessary. Surely you wouldn’t want to get a sticker on your forehead to say whether you have been behaving or not. That will be too strenuous a life to enjoy.

If you see a bad conduct person on the street, you would avoid him/her. Perhaps, if the person gets out of hand, we can always call the cop.
Same here in Wesnoth, we can avoid/ignore those bad behavior person, if any dev is around, he/she can always ban that person’s IP. If that doesn't work, let the person rant, what harm can the person do? By putting up the registration red tape, we will lose many new players and existing players. Moreover, what will stop a determined bad person from registering using another pseudo or to change his/her IP thru software?

Wesnoth is developed by sensible, intelligent and responsible people and I strongly believed 99% of the player who likes turn based game are sensible and intelligent too. Surely, it is not hard for those 99% to influence the 1% to make them a better person?

Best wishes,
Ereksos
EREKSOS
DEATH_is_undead

EXACTLY
thats what Lunar2 did to me! :lol: :oops:
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Death, I think the reason people do that is that you have what appears to be little or no common sense... You ask questions that just would be answered if you calmed down and thought... Balancing the game in standard fashion is what people try to do... Lunar is rather anal about balance, which I find in many places to be a good thing... Your eras, while interesting, don't have the slightest amount of balance, and your suggestions, if they are anything like your era ideas, would most likely be a little off of what Lunar thinks, and so you'd probably get rather annoying rather fast...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
governor

Post by governor »

death-paraphrased wrote:"Registration would cause people to stop playing BfW."
Heck, it didn't stop you from joining this forum!

This is an unprovable statement and in reality the opposite would probably happen. Part of having an online community is shaping the community so that the community follows mannerisms that are appreciated by the community. Having a friendly/open/mature community is easier when it is more difficult, for those likely to misbehave, to misbehave. The end result will be less people being put off multi-player BfW by anti-social behaviour.
DEATH_is_undead

Weeksy wrote:Death, I think the reason people do that is that you have what appears to be little or no common sense... You ask questions that just would be answered if you calmed down and thought... Balancing the game in standard fashion is what people try to do... Lunar is rather anal about balance, which I find in many places to be a good thing... Your eras, while interesting, don't have the slightest amount of balance, and your suggestions, if they are anything like your era ideas, would most likely be a little off of what Lunar thinks, and so you'd probably get rather annoying rather fast...
i try to think differently, to make things more interesting. and i know that era i posted is unbalanced, thats the version i didn't spend an 2 hours working on. i told you, i have 3 others that are balanced.
DEATH_is_undead

governor wrote:
death-paraphrased wrote:"Registration would cause people to stop playing BfW."
Heck, it didn't stop you from joining this forum!

This is an unprovable statement and in reality the opposite would probably happen. Part of having an online community is shaping the community so that the community follows mannerisms that are appreciated by the community. Having a friendly/open/mature community is easier when it is more difficult, for those likely to misbehave, to misbehave. The end result will be less people being put off multi-player BfW by anti-social behaviour.
the only reason i joined this thread is because you put that disruption in forums about me, if you hadn't, i would be playing my PS2 right now, not caring. when on the MP server, someone said that i was in anti-social behavoir, so i looked it up, and wondered why i was in there. half the crap on this thread is unprovable, "people posed as me!" how do we know that? thats all we can go by. i'm assuming thats what will happen because i sure would leave.(and no, thats not a good thing :lol: )
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Guys, take your discussion of personal cases elsewhere. This thread is about potential policy. It is not meant for people to argue about who is or is not a problem.
DEATH_is_undead

sorry, got carried away. was early in the morning...
OzorMox

Post by OzorMox »

Have the developers ever said whether it is their intention to implement a registration system for the public server?

While I can see the benefits of having one (friend list, ignore list, simple stats, reducing idiot numbers and so on) I do like the freedom of being able to play without having to register. I think registration should definitely be optional, just to gain the above features. I also don't think there should be any sort of rating or karma system, this is just asking for trouble. Non-competitive statistics is ok.

One idea would be, if it were possible, to have the public server registration system tied to the forums. In other words, you use the same username and password you use here for the server. BZFlag does this, and also allows you to change your login name, but I have no idea how hard this would be to put in! It would also probably require the server to accept whitespace which it doesn't at the moment.

Just my thoughts on registration. Personally I think it's fine as it is now.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I think we should consider an entirely different approach to the problem.

These forums are a relatively quiet place since dumb/noisy/spam thread usually get locked rather quickly. Why shouldn't this also work on the mp server? If there were a considerably big amount of people with the ability to kick or ban those jerks would think twice if they rather are nice or get a let's say one week ban.

This of course would work better with a registration system but I think just treating people as IPs should be good enough in this case.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
DEATH_is_undead

We could have 2 servers, one for registration and one without. The ones that don't want registration would go on the non register one, and if you want registration, go on the other server... this idea probably was already said, but still...
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

This is starting to sound almost like Civil War and its parody.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
DEATH_is_undead

Ultimatum479 wrote:This is starting to sound almost like Civil War and its parody.
i know...
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
DEATH_is_undead

Baufo wrote:I think we should consider an entirely different approach to the problem.

These forums are a relatively quiet place since dumb/noisy/spam thread usually get locked rather quickly. Why shouldn't this also work on the mp server? If there were a considerably big amount of people with the ability to kick or ban those jerks would think twice if they rather are nice or get a let's say one week ban.

This of course would work better with a registration system but I think just treating people as IPs should be good enough in this case.
what if they change there IP? it isn't that hard to do, if you think about it.