Defense of the Castle: Version 0.1.1: A few bugs fixed

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Flametrooper

Defense of the Castle: Version 0.1.1: A few bugs fixed

Post by Flametrooper »

DotX's are my favorite thing to play, and I've been playing them a lot lately. I decided to create my own, similar to yet different from the other ones out there. Thus I present the latest DotX: Defense of the Castle. You defend not a unit, but a location! An enemy must simpky move to your team's keep and they win, so be careful. However, you can buy guards for your keep and walls in front of it, etc. Like all DotX's, there are spawning creeps, which you can upgrade, and you can upgrade your hero. In testing, there seem to be no bugs, although since as yet I have only tested against the AI many balance issues may as yet be unsolved. So don't wait - head over to the campaign server and try it out!
Last edited by Flametrooper on October 24th, 2006, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Defense of the Castle version 0.1.0: Yet another DotX ga

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Flametrooper wrote:You defend not a unit, but a location! An enemy must simpky move to your team's keep and they win, so be careful.
Hehehe... Just like the original version of DotW! :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
appleide

Post by appleide »

And it was called DotC!!! :shock:

I wonder if its the exact same scenario. With 10 konrads on the right side. hehehe.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Flametrooper

Re: Defense of the Castle version 0.1.0: Yet another DotX ga

Post by Flametrooper »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Flametrooper wrote:You defend not a unit, but a location! An enemy must simpky move to your team's keep and they win, so be careful.
Hehehe... Just like the original version of DotW! :P
Really? I didn't know that at all, I swear. That's just...weird.
Oh well, I guess great minds think alike.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Following "release early, release often", version 0.1.1 is out.
Changelog:
---Fixed some stuff about the teleportation.
---Added two new Castle Guard options: Build More Walls and Build Frozen Moat.
---Fixed a few bugs regarding the dwarvish guards.
---Changed a few minor prices.
---Added a new creep option: Buy a Troll and Lobber Creep.
---Made the startup messages look better.
---(Hopefully) made creeps smarter by adding a [protect_location]. I tried to also add a [target], but it didn't work.
---Made AI leaders invisible, a very minor change.
---Random aesthetic changes.

Don't take it from me: go download it! And try it out. 8)
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Is there any special reason why you don't want your creeps to avoid villages?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

:?: I don't care either way. Why, are they targeting villages like mad? If so, how can I change that?
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

If you don't want them to care for villages much

Code: Select all

[ai] 
village_value=-50.0 
[/ai] 
inside the [side] tag might help.
But if you really want them not to step on them you can use

[ai] 
[avoid]
x=x-coordinate of a village
y=y-coordinate of a village
[/avoid]
[/ai]
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Frost

Defense of the Castle - version 0.1.1 - after-action report

Post by Frost »

After playing consecutive DotC games, I must say it's a lot of fun. A great addition to the DotX scenario library. So it was surprising when my fellow players and I ran into a possible bank problem in the second game. After repeatedly killing enemy leaders near their spawn point keeps (don't know exactly which hex) two players of the opposing team reported that their bank savings were lost. Unfortunately, I cannot say what the exact circumstances in which this event occurred, only that experienced players who invested lost their savings somehow. I vaguely recall someone saying their balance had been severely reduced.

Plus, I was able to use their shops against them, either by healing my hero or investing all the 'blood' money I collected.

But no matter what you decide to do, we would like to extend our appreciation for your efforts to make Wesnoth more fun. :D
Give not thyself up, then, to fire, lest it invert thee, deaden thee; as for the time it did me. There is a wisdom that is woe; but there is a woe that is madness. - Melville
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Woah. Someone ressurected this. :o

I just made it as a test of WML, and a learning exercise, and because I like DotX games...

I'll see what I can do about the problems you mentioned - using other player's shops and mysterious bank reductions? I'll try to fix this.

Glad someone played it and enjoyed it! :D
ugasoft

Post by ugasoft »

This extension doesn't work... I don't know why :(

I tried to edit dotc_scenario.cfg and I've found this (possibly) incorrect line:

map_data="{~/campaigns/DotC/DotC.MAP}"
all other campaigns or multiplayer has a link to their map_data WITHOUT the "/" after the "~"... I tried to remove it and restart... but there are other errors of tag not closed...

can someone explain me what should I do? :(
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...