Heavy Infantryman Pwn3d

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CuddleFish

Heavy Infantryman Pwn3d

Post by CuddleFish »

I'm just wondering why you guys (the devs) lowered the HI's impact resistance?

I mean come on, HI was already one of the least used loyalist units

Obvious weaknesses of the HI:
-slow
-expensive
-pitiful defense %
-they cant go on mountains
(this can be a real pain if your opponent knows ZOC)
-they take 2 turns to cross a 1 hex river
-get pwned by any kind of fire or cold

-and now... 30% impact res lowered to 10%
as if this unit isnt already clumsy enough
GREAT!!
now dwarves, WC, trolls, trees, footpads, thugs etc. all do more damage to them...

I'm never recruiting HI again, fencers are now superior in almost every way, except when facing skellies

I dont understand why you guys did this, as if the dwarves aren't godly enough already
Last edited by CuddleFish on October 11th, 2006, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin
JW

Re: HI Pwn3d

Post by JW »

CuddleFish wrote:I'm never recruiting HI again, fencers are now superior in almost every way, except when facing skellies

I dont understand why you guys did this, as if the dwarves aren't godly enough already
I think I speak for all the HI out there:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

AFAIK the MP devs felt they were too strong against knalgans, so they reduced their impact resistance a little.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Noyga wrote:AFAIK the MP devs felt they were too strong against knalgans, so they reduced their impact resistance a little.
30% -> 10% is a little...

Well... it IS a reduction of MERELY SIXTY SIX percent!!

I think it should be at least 20%... Otherwise, they might as well be spearman with "slowed" trait.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

How about 28%.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Noyga wrote:AFAIK the MP devs felt they were too strong against knalgans, so they reduced their impact resistance a little.
Hmm. They still have very, very good blade and pierce resistance, which makes them "still uniquely useful" in my book.

The only real dangers to them from impact are trolls, woses, and dwarven fighters (we're ignoring L2s here). Given that, I don't think they have a lot to worry about, since said units are much better tackled with other troops.

Though, I might have opted for the solution of upping the dwarves' resistance to impact instead.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

CuddleFish wrote: I dont understand why you guys did this, as if the dwarves aren't godly enough already
Ugh cuddle, do you ever stop with the shrill posting?

Did you ever play with the HI vs the Knalgans prior to the change? it effectively took 4 or 5 Dwarven thunderers to take one down, IF you didn't miss anything either... And that was the BEST way to take it down. Name me one other unit that took five attacks to take down as its best counter. There was no way the knalgans to take one out effectively without exposing all its troops to counterattack, which then you could just clean up with the rest of your troops. The HI is still effective against Knalgans, as a Footpad or a Fighter has to attack it and risk getting counterattacked by the mace attack.

The Unit was never intended to take on the Elves or Trolls so there was no change in its usefulness there.
appleide

Post by appleide »

For the gameplay, I guess its worth losing a little realism.

Although there are games that are fun because they're 100% realistic. Eg. Close Combat 3
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Units aren't supposed to be judged based on the unit alone. You need to base the HI on its entire faction and against all other factions.
CuddleFish

Post by CuddleFish »

Noy wrote:
CuddleFish wrote: I dont understand why you guys did this, as if the dwarves aren't godly enough already
Ugh cuddle, do you ever stop with the shrill posting?

Did you ever play with the HI vs the Knalgans prior to the change? it effectively took 4 or 5 Dwarven thunderers to take one down, IF you didn't miss anything either... And that was the BEST way to take it down. Name me one other unit that took five attacks to take down as its best counter. There was no way the knalgans to take one out effectively without exposing all its troops to counterattack, which then you could just clean up with the rest of your troops. The HI is still effective against Knalgans, as a Footpad or a Fighter has to attack it and risk getting counterattacked by the mace attack.

The Unit was never intended to take on the Elves or Trolls so there was no change in its usefulness there.
HI are not overpowered (against Knalgans), most of the time they have 30% to 40% defense, which means their blocking is as horrible as the drakes, if you put that into perspective, their 30% impact resistance isnt alot, a dwarf fighter can stand toe to toe against a HI at anytime except for daytime, dwarf fighters are cheaper, have better defense %, and have a better movement type

not only can knalgans stand toe to toe against HI, they have superior mobiliy, on medium and big maps this offers the knalgans superior village grabbing and fog clearing (some of you will never understand this cus you dont know how to use footpads and gryffs)
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I think the only really change in gameplay after the reduction of hi pierce resistance is that a wose now pwnz a hi, before that hi pwn3d wose.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I thought the change wasn't absolutely necessary, but I also don't think it made that big a difference and HI are very hard to counter if you are not good with knalgans. I mean seriously all we are talking about here is 2 dmg per attack if both hit. Pleease stop acting like the sky is falling. I still use HI in the same situations I did before (holding villages without hills or mtns next to them vs knalgans and killing skellies). Occassionally depending on how many other screening units i have they ccn be useful for other things. They are generally very nice for attacking enemy units which do a lot fo blade dmg (say fi you messed up and let a grunt lvl).
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
CuddleFish

Post by CuddleFish »

Becephalus wrote:I thought the change wasn't absolutely necessary, but I also don't think it made that big a difference and HI are very hard to counter if you are not good with knalgans. I mean seriously all we are talking about here is 2 dmg per attack iff both hit. Pleease stop acting like the sky is falling. I still use HI in the same situations I did before (holding villages without hills or mtns next to them vs knalgans and killing skellies). Occassionally depending on how many other screening units i have they ccan be useful for other things. They are generally very nice for attacking enemy units which do a lot fo blade dmg (say fi you [censored] up and let a grunt lvl).
By your logic.. spearmen should have -20% fire resistance
so drakes can kill them more easily?
unsung

Post by unsung »

Baufo wrote:I think the only really change in gameplay after the reduction of hi pierce resistance is that a wose now pwnz a hi, before that hi pwn3d wose.
WAAAAAAAA?!
I cant remember a wose ever losing to to a HI. Ever. And I have tried it.

Overall, I think this is a good thing- Knalgans sucked at getting HI out of choke points and off of bridges. Probably still will, but hey- I like HI and I like choke points so thats good for me.

I never really thought that thunderers'd be a good solution-odd.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I have tried it too.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde