WWII scenario, just for fun

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pietro

Post by Pietro »

Poland would suffer less if surrendered like Czechoslovakia. If idiots that were running polish foreign policy decided to ally with Czechoslovakia vs Germany and prevent GE from annecting Sudety mountains in 1938 they could beat nazi-Germany without help of [censored] England and France (Poland stood a good chance to defend even in 1939 - but too many strategic mistakes were made in the years before the war (e.g. extension of Baltic fleet instead of investment into ari force).
Czechoslovakia were surrendered because we were betrayded by our allies France and UK. Our border with Germany was impposible to cross by Hitler. :twisted: And he knew it very well, that's why he got our land by political intrics. We didn't want to start war so we surrendered. Shame on us :oops:
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Sauron - you are full of hatred. I had bad experiences debating anything with people who like you start from insulting every- or even anything. Sorry, but ill ignore you despite of how important things youll write.

And bece didnt want to discuss it, so i guess best idea is to leave the topic, as its even not very interesting for me generally. And it's obvious that map doesn't really have to represent everything, so that's no reason for me to participate in this discussion as well.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

WWII scenario, just for fun

:D
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:just for fun

:D

Well said, Wose's life ! Well said

There is absolutely no need nor any rational reason to go into a heavy geopolitical/historical debate in this thread. This is a thread about becephalus' map (and perhaps an era that may go with it). I am not sure how much it fits the world of wesnoth, but it is his work and I (and everyone should) respect that, by sticking to the topic.

P.S. to Becepalus : I am glad you listened to my suggestion and replaced some of the forest in the european part of Russia with hills and swamp. This way the map is both more balanced and realistic
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Quit it with all the hindsight-biased historical commentary. You -don't- know what would have happened, you only -think- you do because everything seems obvious after the fact. You can't think "Well, if Poland and Germany allied, they could have beaten the Soviets easily, since Stalin wasn't prepared." Because such an alliance probably would have caused a different international reaction, changing all the involved factors tremendously. Alternative history is -fiction-, and should remain in that domain. Some of you may be right, and some of you may be wrong. Personally, I don't think it matters, unless you're all planning on writing a Harry Turtledove novel.

I, too, have thought of a modern / WWII mod, (just look at the units in my Terran Unit tree, complete with Ranger M's wonderful artwork.) but I can't draw worth crap. I need to reinstall GIMP and try again, I know....

But this also brings up the problem of scale, and how to ensure that a P-51, a KV1, and a Wehrmacht sniper can all interact in a balanced fashion. (Please don't nitpick about how a sniper couldn't possibly affect the mentioned units. I know you get my point.) Perhaps make infantry units a Swarm?

((And if there is enough interest, should a thread be started in Eras and Factions to develop a modern mod? [not the first attempt, I must warn you]))
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I can't say Poland + Germany would have beaten Russia and everyone owuldve accepted it. But i can say that if Poland was fighting Russia on alone, at least first 6 months would be a trampling of Russian trooops. And that is undebatable, because it would require a vast doze of unluckiness, to change te situation.

There's a significant difference between political/historical fiction, and guessing the winner in 1v1 war.

edit:

And i didnt sai this to revive the offtopic debate here, if someone really wants to discuss this matter, lets make new topic - i am not really into it, so idecided to post it here, hopefully its my lost off-topic post in this thread. Sorry bece.
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Rvised the map a bit. There is now more room for batttle of atlantic. Also there are 107! cities on the map, definitely a 1gpv map heh. 111 labels total counting the capitals.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Iberville

Post by Iberville »

Awesome idea! Looking forward to try it.

I won't get involved into the what ifs of WW2, let's just all keep in mind that the game has to be playable and fun before being an historical simulation. This is Wesnoth - for the ultimate WW2 Simulation game try Heart Of Iron, etc.

Also hmmm I'm trying to dl the map but I only get weird code...
Sur les mondes détruits le temps dort immobile.
suvorov

Post by suvorov »

Lol at the basic idea, and lol some more at the subsequent heated debate. WWII Wesnoth? What are you smokin' Bece?
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

suvorov wrote:WWII Wesnoth? What are you smokin' Bece?
:roll:
Sauron

Re: WWII scenario, just for fun

Post by Sauron »

Becephalus wrote:RKKA Armor: Goblin Knight
I'd suggest HI:
-slow
-easily destroyed by bomber/burner
(I meant here IS&KV)

on the other hand - for fast T-34 - mabye elvish scout or wolf rider?
Sauron
Customize yourself random factor in game:
GET my mod [available as C++ sourcecode and compiled Windows executable] for wesnoth 1.6.4
at http://saurons-mod.zor.org/
Mod thread
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26803
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

kshinji, stop writing nonesense. It's really irratating to see someone with overgrown ego and little knowledge writing (edit: here and in other threads) as if he knew everything.

My private 0.2 euro cents.
Last edited by grzywacz on October 12th, 2006, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

grzywacz wrote:kshinji, stop writing nonesense. It's really irratating to see someone with overgrown ego and little knowledge writing (edit: here and in other threads) as if he knew everything.

My private 0.2 euro cents.
Nothing more to add.

(sorry for a little offtop)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Kurai sha Tifereth

Re: WWII scenario, just for fun

Post by Kurai sha Tifereth »

Despite the fact that I don't posted before, I wanted to give a bit input on the topic. It seems to me - as a german - that you misunderstood some names, so here are the corrected words:

Germans

Wehrmacht Armeekorps -> that's from "sich wehren", "to defend"

Wehrmacht Artillerie

Luftflotte (Bomber) -> just in case you wanted to name them "bombers"

Kriegsmarine

Unterseebootflotte / U-Boot-Flotte -> you did a lot of overkill in your original proposal (imho!), so the latter one is a shorter suggestion with the same meaning.

Heeresgruppe HQ

Please note that I'm not into history, it's just a translation, not a correct naming of Divisions/types of armies, whatever. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kurai
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I dunno if it was good to post here, but i guess i cant leave an attack on my person without reply...

To anyone who thinks i write nonsense - i am not a spammer looking at my postcount all the time, being happy with yet another post. So if you think ive written something that's not true, please tell me, either in topic where i did, or via pm.

Whining is not a good way to silence someone.