My First Map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

egbert

My First Map

Post by egbert »

Hi.

I've been looking a long time for somehow I might be able to contribute to Wesnoth (I've been playing on and off for about two or three years), but music or sounds I'm afraid I don't have the equipment for, I stink at art, don't have the time for campaigns, and don't know any languages besides English. So today I tried and made a multiplayer map.

It's 2v2, (my favorite type of map), but not too big. It has 28 villages.

I'm afraid I do not know how to improve a map, so please tell me what you think I can do.

How is it?
Attachments
4p_Ominous_Eminence.cfg
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Last edited by egbert on July 18th, 2006, 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JW

Post by JW »

It's customary to display the map (if it is of reasonable size) in the browser using the [ map ] tag like this:

Code: Select all

[map]abcdefgh
ijklmnop[/map]
which yields this:
[map]abcdefgh
ijklmnop[/map]

So that people can just give you feedback immediately instead of having to go through the hassle eof downloading, unzipping, moving, and then running the map in Wesnoth.

Please do this for us lazy folk who are otherwise willing to help. (It's also good practice for you!)
egbert

Post by egbert »

Thank you very much for the tip!
That's really cool how you can do that!

Those question marks are impassable mountains (you know that).
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Well, I haven't tried it yet, but for your first map that looks really nice aesthetically.

It has a few problems, though.

Overall, the map seems to favor factions with water units, because it has some very significant chokepoints involving water. Personally, I'd widen up some alternative passages. A one hex entryway isn't much for wiggle room.

A minor point, you've created some inaccessible chasm regions. This means if we were playing unlimited turns and my leader was a drake flare, I could hide indefinitely. :twisted:

Also, there's the old 'don't put villages next to mountains' rule for Knalgan balancing. You could swap a few hills and mountains around to change that.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
egbert

Post by egbert »

Thank you very much, will do. Didn't think about the Chasms, they're mostly for looks anyway.

Alright then.
egbert

Post by egbert »

Ok, I fixed what you said, I'm pretty sure. I added some more ways to get through via land, the side trapezoids have a land passageway. I also fixed the chasms.

Here's the new one.

Anything else that blatantly needs fixing?

[map]W

RRR m W mfRRR
RRC3CRfw hhXXc WXW cXXhh fRC2CRR
fmCRRtfhhmllXwcffXffcwXllmhhftRRCm
flfhRRfRffYwfgfgfgfwYffRfRRhflf
hlbhhRRhcmRrRCXCRrRmchRRhhblh
XXwwfmfc\RcsRXXQXXRscR/cfmfwwXX
WWXXwgcf?RgwsZkXkZswgR?fcgwXXWW
WWrcsRfrgff?kXk?ffgrfRscrWW
WWrrwhRrhrRRRwXwRRRrhrRhwrrWW
WWrrWWYhmR?RfrfRvRfrfR?RmhYWWrrWW
WrWWWWswEEhRmrRhqhRrmRhEEwsWwWWrW
WroWcsm&EE&m&R|www|R&m&EE&mscWorW
WW]uccwwwgckcc//cftfc\\cckcgwcwccu]WW
Wscc]WccfkgwRRQcfhhhfcQRRwgkmccW]ccsW
Wscp]kchmZgmRCQRfmhmfRQCRmgZhfck]DcsW
Ws]ccWwcwkcwcR\cchvhcc/RcwckwcwWcc]sW
WWuoccwmgEk&c&\|fwf|/&c&kEgmcccouWW
WrWWWss&EEhmmRRwqwRRmmhEE&sswWWrW
WrrWWWYwmE?RfEfhvhfEfR?EmwYWWWrrW
WWrrWwhRRhRRERRXRRERRhRRhwWrrWW
WWrchREEEfR?wXw?RfEEERhcrWW
WWXrgsffRgwfZkXkZfwgRffcgrXWW
WXXwwmcc?RgssXkQkXssgR?ccmwwXXW
XhwbfhfR/ccRRRXXXRRRcc\RfhfbwhX
llhhRRRhfmwrgCgCgrwmfhRRRhhll
mfRftRhfmflYwfffXfffwYlfmfhRtfRfm
fRC4RRfwhhlXXcc fXf ccXXlhh fRR1CR
RRCRCmf h X WWW X h fmCRCRR
R f R

[/map]

edit: I'm not sure what's happening with the top. . . but it should be just like the bottom.
Last edited by egbert on July 22nd, 2006, 2:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
JW

Post by JW »

Yes, it is very aesthetically pleasing. The map tag should help you with future maps you create as well.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Maybe you should delete your first map tag (the one with the old map) whenever you post updates. These [map]'s slow down my browser to a crawl, and it will make this page unaccessible for a lot of people.

Other than that, on a first glance the map looks exceedingly stalemating (few villages and lots of choke points in the center).