Defense of the Marshal (MP Scenario) [Version: 1.2.2]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

don't get rid of holy, just raise the price of it.
it's already expensive as it is, but I guess a little more wouldn't hurt.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
JW

Post by JW »

I always felt Holy was a bogus trip. I'd hate to see the Ghost go, but I also hate seeing the Ulf and Guard go. =/

If you get rid of Holy you just need to make sure that Fire and Impact damage are available in melee and ranged (which I believe they are).

A new addition that might be cool to the Creeps would be buyable hp upgrades for the creeps at say +5%hp, +5hp for 250-300g or so. It wouldn't help against heros that much, but against the other creeps it would be pretty noticable. It'd be an expensive upgrade to invest in. What do you think?

Also I think the 800g to increase all non-magical strikes by 1 is too expensive. No one splits their damage between melee/ranged because it's simply too expensive. Decreasing this to something like 750-780 would give a better discount IMO (about 8-10% instead of about 5%).
Swordy

Post by Swordy »

Also you should nerf the Sky Sceptre, 10-2 is pretty powerful against armoured/undead units.
-_- Sky Sceptre is 10-1, not 10-2 -_-
don't get rid of holy, just raise the price of it.
it's already expensive as it is, but I guess a little more wouldn't hurt.
The problem is... holy is so unfair in DotM... +50% against ghost and+100% against non-ghosts, while ghost is more powerful than non-ghosts :(
I always felt Holy was a bogus trip. I'd hate to see the Ghost go, but I also hate seeing the Ulf and Guard go. =/

If you get rid of Holy you just need to make sure that Fire and Impact damage are available in melee and ranged (which I believe they are).
So by saying this, you agree with option number 1? I also hate to see these three units go, coz of their uniqueness. But they're just not suitable for my DotM :( And yeah, fire and impact are both available in melee and ranged.
A new addition that might be cool to the Creeps would be buyable hp upgrades for the creeps at say +5%hp, +5hp for 250-300g or so. It wouldn't help against heros that much, but against the other creeps it would be pretty noticable. It'd be an expensive upgrade to invest in. What do you think?
This is what in MiniDotW. I don't know if you have played MiniDotW with creep strat going on. The creeps came to full power! And then Troth or Mytho (i don't remember which) mod it by increasing the prices, and creep upgrades became totally useless. So my solution was to remove the hp upgrade so the creeps can never be overpowered/overwhelming nor useless. Heck... even with no hp upgrade, those red [censored] (muds) can still flood the map :lol:
Also I think the 800g to increase all non-magical strikes by 1 is too expensive. No one splits their damage between melee/ranged because it's simply too expensive. Decreasing this to something like 750-780 would give a better discount IMO (about 8-10% instead of about 5%).
I'll think about this and about new melee+ranged damage enhancement. Thanks :)

I still need opinions about the Monastery demolishment / Ghost banishment etc. Thx.
JW

Post by JW »

I'd be a fan of removing Holy damage. If you do that you can increase the cost to upgrade Drain attacks and only effect the Ghost. People will be forced to buy Fire damage, but I don't see that as a bad thing. People would've gotten Holy anyway.

Drain will probably have to be increased to something like 220* to account for the lack of Holy weapons to kill the Ghost.

*(just throwing out a number, I haven't done any math on it, it just sounds right)
JW

Post by JW »

-you could also include Berserk as a 160 cost upgrade (like Magical and Backstab) instead of removing the Ulfserker.

Also, if you nerf the Guardsmans hp (instead of his attacks) I think he could go back in as well. Drop it to 25 or so and he will still be a killable unit at most stages of the game. (25 is about 60% of 42; 60% is his usual damage taken.)
appleide

Post by appleide »

JW wrote:-you could also include Berserk as a 160 cost upgrade (like Magical and Backstab) instead of removing the Ulfserker.

Also, if you nerf the Guardsmans hp (instead of his attacks) I think he could go back in as well. Drop it to 25 or so and he will still be a killable unit at most stages of the game. (25 is about 60% of 42; 60% is his usual damage taken.)
Uhh, No berserk, please, else everyone will get it. Its the best ability in the game. Once you get to 150 hp, 30-7 attack and you manage touch the Marshal you have already won. (And you can do this in less than turn 20).

I don't think nerfing is a good idea. You choose a unit because you know what it is like. It makes it annoying when you chose the unit and its not actually what you chose. Regarding holy attacks: Reduce Undead's holy unresistance by half, to -50% instead, and keep those holy weapons, but increase prices by 20%. Keep the Guardsman, but give the player less gold.

Then you can keep all of them, except the berserker.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think berserk frenzy is unsuited to DotM because it invalidates so many other things and the game becomes much more predictable i.e. less strategic (although still entertaining I admit).

I'd like to see holy as an option, simply because the options are what makes the game cool.

If the other undead are really that inferior to the wraith, they should be taken off the list (or get a large bonus on starting gold so that they can find a defensive or offensive solution of their choice.)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dawgas

Post by Dawgas »

From what I've noticed, The elvish shaman is on two diffrent cost levels, 1350 and 1200 - bug?

I also think that starting gold "nerfs" should start at 1000 and increase, so the starting gold could be from 1000 to 1750 instead of 750 to 1500.

And also like, merge melee and ranged together into one upgrade, at like, 300 per purchase.

Why bother trying to balance gold though? I can creepwhore JUST as well with the footpad as when I could with the scout.

Oh, dotm is getting stale now, shake it up some more, and beserk is ovarpoward 2 teh xtreeem!11one

(teh editz0rz: why is the ghost at the lowest tier? it ALREADY has to pay for 190g per melee upgrade, why punish it so badly?)
Swordy

Post by Swordy »

okay thanks for reporting/suggesting things about the latest dotm.
I'd be a fan of removing Holy damage. If you do that you can increase the cost to upgrade Drain attacks and only effect the Ghost. People will be forced to buy Fire damage, but I don't see that as a bad thing. People would've gotten Holy anyway.
okay...... so you prefer removing holy and keeping the ghost... (aka neither of the options)
Regarding holy attacks: Reduce Undead's holy unresistance by half, to -50% instead
how do you change resistances? :o if i could change resistance, this is definitely the thing i will do.
If the other undead are really that inferior to the wraith, they should be taken off the list (or get a large bonus on starting gold so that they can find a defensive or offensive solution of their choice.)
so you prefer option number 2? :o
-you could also include Berserk as a 160 cost upgrade (like Magical and Backstab) instead of removing the Ulfserker.
hmmmmmmm..... this is tough ¬¬
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Swordy wrote:how do you change resistances? :o if i could change resistance, this is definitely the thing i will do.
You would have to include modified unit cfgs. The actual changing would look like this(in the unit cfg):

Code: Select all

[resistance]
		holy=150(or 50, i can't remember)
	[/resistance]
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Swordy

Post by Swordy »

You would have to include modified unit cfgs. The actual changing would look like this(in the unit cfg)
yer i know... but this would require all player to download the game :( my question should be "how do you change resistances without making modified unit files?"
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Swordy wrote: yer i know... but this would require all player to download the game :( my question should be "how do you change resistances without making modified unit files?"
You can't in 1.1.2a, but I believe it is possible in SVN trunk (thanks to Xan's unit customization modifications).

And seriously, the Necrophage is a wimp in DotM. You might as well get rid of him. (Although, the one advantage he has over the wraith is an ability to use nets.)
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Anyar wrote:
Swordy wrote:how do you change resistances? :o if i could change resistance, this is definitely the thing i will do.
You would have to include modified unit cfgs. The actual changing would look like this(in the unit cfg):

Code: Select all

[resistance]
		holy=150(or 50, i can't remember)
	[/resistance]
I've got a patch in the works that makes it possible to create objects to do this.
Look in "code & patch contributions"
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

oh, right. Sorry jhudson I was thinking of your code (not Xan's). :lol:
JW

Post by JW »

Swordy wrote:- Brought back Dwarvish Guardsman.
- Added Baneblade (melee drain).
- Made upgrade for backstab 150 gold.
- A dead hero is brought back home and stoned (no more 'temporary graveholes') and then unstoned when his/her turn comes.
Yay!!