Dragonguard question

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Dragonguard question

Post by turin »

Why is the Dragonguard's melee attack impact (dragonstaff, 9-3, impact), while both the Thunderguard and the Thunderer have a blade melee attack (dagger, 6-3, blade on the Thunderguard)? This seems to me like a really unnecessary violation of RIPLIB...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
toms

Post by toms »

I never thought about it, but yes.

But it may need some rebalancing, because the thunderer is currently weak against undead.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Leo

Post by Leo »

May be thunderer just have impact melee attack from 1st lvl?
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Leo wrote:May be thunderer just have impact melee attack from 1st lvl?
Do dwarves need more advantage agaisnt undeads? I doubt.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Leo

Post by Leo »

Hmm, may be.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dragonking wrote:Do dwarves need more advantage agaisnt undeads? I doubt.
The Thunderer is already comparatively weak against Undead. I don't think changing from blade to impact on his secondary attack would make much difference.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
toms

Post by toms »

But who uses thunderers against undead is quite a fool. :?

I think Dragonking meant that they would be stronger (and unfair) against undead.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: Dragonguard question

Post by Soliton »

turin wrote:Why is the Dragonguard's melee attack impact (dragonstaff, 9-3, impact), while both the Thunderguard and the Thunderer have a blade melee attack (dagger, 6-3, blade on the Thunderguard)?
Because.

Changed to Dagger now.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

He's going to need a new animation. The dragonguard swings his gun, hence the impact damage. Not exactly the best dagger animation.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

SmokemJags wrote:He's going to need a new animation. The dragonguard swings his gun, hence the impact damage. Not exactly the best dagger animation.
Eleazar was so kind and did exactly that. I'm sure there is room for improvement though, so if you want to take a swing at it... :wink:
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Eleazar was so kind and did exactly that. I'm sure there is room for improvement though, so if you want to take a swing at it...
I'd have to see what this new attack animation looks like, I assume it will be readily available along with 1.1.2.

I guess you liked what you saw with the skeleton archer death, heh. I actually haven't been doing any animations recently, been working on that orc campaign.
Once the new animation boundaries are set though I'll probably get back into it. I did want to add several frames to that soul shooter someone else made...
Anyways that's unrelated. If Eleazar already made a dagger strike for the dragonguard, I'm sure it's good enough.

Although an idea of giving this dwarven line of 'musketeers' bayonets instead of daggers sounds like it might be fun.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

SmokemJags wrote:If Eleazar already made a dagger strike for the dragonguard, I'm sure it's good enough.

Although an idea of giving this dwarven line of 'musketeers' bayonets instead of daggers sounds like it might be fun.
I did the absolute minimum-pasted in a dagger from the thunderer. The dragonguard has 4 frames total. So it's not our finest creation.

The bayonette idea isn't a bad one, especially for the dragonguard with the carved dragon on the front of the gun. It could easily be horned or fanged.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

NGIW!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Elvish Pillager wrote:NGIW!
Call the melee attack brandistock then, in honor of the switchblade spear of the same name.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004