Voting for new draug ability.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you like to see the Draug have the 'dread' ability, receiving half damage when on the offensive?

Yes, I think it's unique, not overpowering, and interesting
61%
No, I'd rather not see him get any special ability.
32%
Maybe but I'd change... (explain alternative idea in post)
6%

Total votes: 31

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Secondly, I personally don't take much stock in online polls, or even forum discussion. Alot of noise + little productive discussion.
It's not supposed to be 'if this vote wins a majority you better put it in game'
It's supposed to be 'I want to see what people think about the idea, because I'm curious about feedback from both the developers and the people who play the game.'

I'm just looking for feedback.
Sapient actually put forward some tatical ideas,
That would be theorycraft (theorynoth).
And to be honest, many of your "ideas" aren't very new or even inventive.
And this comment... serves what purpose?
Other than being inflammitory and rude that is.

All this talk is talk, the best way to see this ability in action would be to put it in action.
From another thread:
Edit 2:
If you are lucky, you might find a dev that builds you an executable with that patch
If only we were so lucky, there might actually be a way to test it rather than to continue with the war of words.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

SmokemJags wrote:
Sapient actually put forward some tatical ideas,
That would be theorycraft (theorynoth).
What exactly is "theorynoth" supposed to mean? That the statements referred to as "theorynoth" don't actually reflect how Wesnoth is played? Because that would be rather false...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

What exactly is "theorynoth" supposed to mean? That the statements referred to as "theorynoth" don't actually reflect how Wesnoth is played? Because that would be rather false...
I'd be more than happy to let my dictionary friend define 'theorycraft' or in this case 'theorynoth'
http://www.urbandictionary.com wrote:theorycraft
Theorycraft refers to any game strategy that exists only in theory and never actually put into action.

"Theorycraft" originated from the PC game Starcraft. The term was coined after countless new players would argue with each other about how certain strategies were superior to other strategies without actually putting any of these concepts into practice. This later evolved into a game in itself, albeit sarcastically. From Starcraft to Theorycraft.
Player_1: hydras n lings own firebats
Player_2: Pfft, theorycraft
I don't ever recall discussing the draug in terms that do not directly deal with this ability. I've discussed the theoretical implications of it, but as I said I'm not really interesting in continuing that.

Seeing as how Dread has never actually been used in any game(unless someone has patched it, in which case I would be interesting in acquiring said patch and actually testing it)..
Theorycraft refers to any game strategy that exists only in theory and never actually put into action.
Seems especially relevant.

I never said I was 'uber' or 'l33t' at multiplayer. It's one thing to understand a game's mechanics, it's quite another to put that to the test against another experienced player and not a semi-predictable AI.

I'm trying to present dread from a game mechanics view. How it actually functions and how it affects gameplay and multiplayer strategy can only be determined by testing it in an actual multiplayer game.

Otherwise, as I've been saying, it's all just theory. 'What ifs' and 'maybe in this scenario...'

The tried and true strategies of leap-frogging, 'blitzing', covering flanks, filling voids with new troops, whatever you want to call them are pretty common in strategy games.
How dread interacts with those methods and strategies in Wesnoth... is still only theorical and never tested.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

SmokemJags wrote: As it is, I really don't see the undead as having 'cheap' recruits (plentiful... I don't ever recall running into a problem with any faction where the recruit pool was anything less than plentiful)
I didn't say the recruitment pool was plentiful, I said the recruits were plentiful, meaning they put a lot of fresh inexpensive recruits onto the battlefield.
SmokemJags wrote: Do I really have to start pulling stats?
You don't have to, but it might help to do that before jumping all over my feedback. But I don't really want to debate it.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."