Dunefolk balancing rework ideas - discussion.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

The_Gnat

Re: Dunefolk balancing rework ideas - discussion.

Post by The_Gnat » January 8th, 2019, 8:32 am

@Celtic_Minstrel - those are all really good ideas for the reasons for fire resistance. Now of course the question is if it would cause any unintended side effects? I think the lawful units having resistance would definitely be an improvement in the Drake match up.

Also I would like to see the burners melee changed to a different type. That would not only solve the thematic issues people have been debating but also would improve it in the Drake match up. It would go from absolutely and completely useless to mildly weak against drakes (with the mild fire resistance and decent melee attack). But it would be actually a good unit against saurian, allowing the DF to combat the saurian skirmishers better and making the match up more interesting tactically, by allowing more deployments.

(note the minor weakening in the undead match up would not be an issue because of other proposed buffs that the discord group are suggesting which raise the performance of the faction as a whole)

ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Update

Post by ghype » January 11th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Short Update:

In case you are wondering what happened to our rework of Dunefolk, well ... there has been the christmas vacation which happen to be 3 weeks long. Hence the delay. People might think there might have been enough time to finish this project in the vacation, but I exclusively work on Wesnoth when I am in classes. So there is that.

I am glad that the discussion went on without us and i have to go back and read, analyse, consider & implement all the new suggestions in our project. There is a fortunate announcement I want to make:
A big part of this rework is the presentation which we want to be as clear and organised as possible since there is an unbelievable amount of content to comment on. An impressive amount of work has been done over the last week thanks to the contribution of certain forum users.
My prognosis is that in about 2 weeks, we should be able to make our thoughts public.

Thanks for your patience.
post sprites & stuff every day: ghype's Daily Art
destroying enemy castle here: Orcish Castle - Destroyed - work in progress

Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator

Post by Pentarctagon » January 11th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the update :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel » February 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm

So uhhh... it's been more than four weeks now. Any progress on this?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Maintainer of Steelhive.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat » February 11th, 2019, 2:47 am

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm
So uhhh... it's been more than four weeks now. Any progress on this?
Hello, sorry about the lack of a progress update. I personally have been very busy with RL for the past few weeks so that has slowed the project slightly. However, all the other members are still very actively working on this. We have been play testing and making further balance changes as a result. Along with this we have been trying to cohesively organize our suggestions and the arguments behind them in order to clearly present the logic behind them and why the resulting changes which have been made will be an improvement to the faction.

Overall the changes have been quite successful and I am happy to report a significantly better balanced faction then before, but you will see that for yourselves soon enough. :)

I can't give any firm numbers for when we will be complete, ghype would be the person to ask that, but I estimate that it shouldn't be too much longer.

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel » February 11th, 2019, 3:07 am

I'd definitely like to see even just a rough overview of the changes you're planning, not little number tweaks but any bigger changes. If I recall correctly, some new units were being worked on, and at least one unit line had the possibility of significant changes?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Maintainer of Steelhive.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat » February 11th, 2019, 3:36 am

I can't tell you anything without first checking with the group, but I would be happy to do so. Its not really a secret, its just that we aren't done yet and so we don't want to start advertising big changes until we have considered all possible outcomes.

ghype

Post by ghype » February 12th, 2019, 4:18 pm

I am sorry for the keeping this a big secret but we are so close to finish that it wouldn't make sense to talk about it now.
Really the problem was I who worked only during studies. But many of my classes got canceled and now I am on vacation again.
But this time i working also in my free time. So yeah ... we are getting there.
post sprites & stuff every day: ghype's Daily Art
destroying enemy castle here: Orcish Castle - Destroyed - work in progress