Choicerer's Map Randomizer

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Choicerer

Re: Choicerer's Map Randomizer

Post by Choicerer »

2.0c fixes a bug that broke the mod in multiplayer. Also I will be finally updating the screens soonish.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Version 2.1 -

-Improved performance by refactoring the code. The randomization loop is now much faster.
-Fixed a bug that completely messed up the balance if Keep Tiles Under + Keep Some Terrain From The Original Map had been chosen.
-Fixed another bug that prevented impassables from being correctly limited with the Balanced Algorithm.
-Increased the amount of attempts to pick a terrain for a tile to 5000 before the loop is aborted and game ended to prevent this from happening in some fringe cases where this actually is not a sign of some error in terrain caps, but there are very few terrains left to choose from so this amount of attempts is actually necessary for the loop to complete.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

2.1b
Fixed Keep Tiles Under Units. After all, it hadn't been working. It hadn't taken into account the mirrored portions of the map and would eventually break the transform loop.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

2.2 -
Deprecated the Wild Algorithm. Changed the terrain set selection slider to a selection box. Shortened the mod description and reformatted the custom options menu. Added the changelog and info about the Castle Overlay to the in-game mod info.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

2.2b - Finally fixed the [then] not supported bug that had been breaking label placement and partially breaking the transform loop with keep tiles under units if any units had occupied embellishment tiles.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

2.2c is a fix for 1.14 that changes the unsynced menu so it doesn't break feeding.
2.2d fixes the fix breaking the mod in 1.12
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

2.3 -
The in-game info menu got a facelift.
(1.14) Added the option to access it via a right click\n context menu, deprecated the two other options and fixed it not being viewable for observers.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

2.4 -
Introduced a number of performance improvements.
Introduced a mechanism that averts terminal loops in a situation where the only terrains left to pick from cannot be placed on the tile to be randomised because of some unsatisfied conditions for that terrain type. (Currently they exist for impassables and mountains).
This tended to happen most often on maps like Isar's Cross when no terrains had been selected to be carried over.
This should fix most terminal loops problems.
(1.14) Changed the desert mountain sprite to the new version.
ghype

Post by ghype »

(1) voting system did not really worked. maybe it was because I moved/recruited units and then clicked voting, or because player 2 did the same. first recruiting then moving.

either way, it did not work.

(2) maybe another option would be nice "keep impassable terrain" since wc II was ported and the impassable caves/hills are crucial to the late gameplay
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

ghype wrote: May 14th, 2018, 7:37 pm (1) voting system did not really worked. maybe it was because I moved/recruited units and then clicked voting, or because player 2 did the same. first recruiting then moving.
I just wanted to say that wesnoth 1.14 actuall has an api for exactly that (requesting choices from players off-turn) (wesnoth.synchronize_choices (note the trailing 's')) that i also use in my pick your recruits addon which can also be used to implement such a voting system.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

ghype wrote: May 14th, 2018, 7:37 pm (1) voting system did not really worked. maybe it was because I moved/recruited units and then clicked voting, or because player 2 did the same. first recruiting then moving.

either way, it did not work.
gfgtdf wrote: just wanted to say that wesnoth 1.14 actuall has an api for exactly that (requesting choices from players off-turn) (wesnoth.synchronize_choices (note the trailing 's')) that i also use in my pick your recruits addon which can also be used to implement such a voting system.
Thanks, but it works and has worked for ages. The menu is only available if your leader hasn't moved, so you couldn't have called it if they had.
Player 2 should immediately get a voting popup when their turn starts. Maybe I can show you how it works in-game, soon.
Oh, do keep in mind a side needs a leader to be able to vote, at least in 2.4
ghype wrote: May 14th, 2018, 7:37 pm (2) maybe another option would be nice "keep impassable terrain" since wc II was ported and the impassable caves/hills are crucial to the late gameplay
Again, I believe the description says we never randomise impassables or caves.
By the way, 2.5 is coming soon, I've rewritten the thing in LUA and changed some stupid design choices and the terrain picking algo, some other things. For instance now the map no longer slowly loses its balance with keep tiles under units. I'm very excited.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Choicerer wrote: May 15th, 2018, 1:41 am The menu is only available if your leader hasn't moved, so you couldn't have called it if they had.
Choicerer wrote: May 15th, 2018, 1:41 am Again, I believe the description says we never randomise impassables or caves.
ok yeah, it was expecting this answer but I don't recall it wasn't specified anywhere. Maybe i am just bad at reading descriptions

regarding wcII, it now looks so beautiful and new. especially the cave/desert maps. but ofc there are some troubles using randomiser since there are two engines trying to change the map. there is this error i received when proceeding to the second map. it then resulted in oos for player 2.

Is there a ways without hustle to implement an extension/mod for wcII which overwrites the wc II algo for generating maps with the your algo from map randomiser?
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-05-14 23.11.06.png
Screenshot 2018-05-14 23.11.06.png (139.71 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

ghype wrote: May 15th, 2018, 8:22 am ok yeah, it was expecting this answer but I don't recall it wasn't specified anywhere. Maybe i am just bad at reading descriptions
It is mentioned in the add-on description, custom options menu, the in-game mod info and this thread ;D.
ghype wrote: May 15th, 2018, 8:22 am regarding wcII, it now looks so beautiful and new. especially the cave/desert maps. but ofc there are some troubles using randomiser since there are two engines trying to change the map. there is this error i received when proceeding to the second map. it then resulted in oos for player 2.
Oh, I don't think I've ever played wcII, so I wouldn't know.
ghype wrote: May 15th, 2018, 8:22 am Is there a ways without hustle to implement an extension/mod for wcII which overwrites the wc II algo for generating maps with the your algo from map randomiser?
I haven't played wcII but I can take a look for you :).

Thanks for reporting the lua error. I think I know why it's happened now, was this a reloaded game?
ghype

Post by ghype »

Choicerer wrote: May 15th, 2018, 9:21 am I think I know why it's happened now, was this a reloaded game?
yes, it actually was.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Yes. I've introduced that function in 2.3 and sadly made a mistake of initialising it not where it's supposed to be so it fails on game reload. Sorry about that, I'm not gonna be fixing it now as 2.5 is coming soon and it will have the bug fixed.