Randomized Isar's Cross Map Pack

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Choicerer

Re: Randomized Isar's Cross Map Pack

Post by Choicerer »

enclave wrote:
Choicerer wrote:Thank you, Bowling Factory ;)! By the way, I've checked your shuffle villages mod out, top-notch! Nice you managed to get it to work with mine :)
did I? I haven't tried if it works with yours, I assume it doesn't! according to what you told me before :) I didn't have time to do anything else, so not tested it for compatibility with yours, need to try it actually.. :)
Enclave has checked it and to correct myself - the shuffle villages mod does not work with mine, for anyone who might be thinking about using them together ;).
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Version 4.0

Very simple fix ensuring much better balance. (Previously terrain was generated using percentages for each type - now in addition a maximum terrain type count is calculated based on those percentages, which can't be exceeded)

Also features the option to prevent terrain from changing under units. It also decreases the likelihood of the occupied terrain types appearing on the map (so that for instance a player can't fill the map with forests by putting units on forests tiles).

I probably will update the screenshots soon, since the update is major.
Last edited by Choicerer on November 17th, 2017, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Queen_

Post by _Queen_ »

I really enjoy this mod. There is something relaxing in playing mini isar with 4-5 units. I guess thats because the game is quiet fast, so you can play many times with diffrent factions and opponents~

I'm wondering if you are planning adding more variations of maps, not only with diffrent aesthetic.

Anyway, merci~
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

_Queen_ wrote:I really enjoy this mod. There is something relaxing in playing mini isar with 4-5 units. I guess thats because the game is quiet fast, so you can play many times with diffrent factions and opponents~
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that!

I was just about to delete my post because I've found out that the terrain count cap isn't working :D .
I don't have the time to fix it now, so stay tuned for the update tomorrow ;) !
_Queen_ wrote: I'm wondering if you are planning adding more variations of maps, not only with diffrent aesthetic.
I might do that in the future, if I have the time (so probably not... :( )
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Oh dear... I've fixed a ton of bugs today. The improved algorithm is finally working (it wasn't working at all previously). Embellishments are back (oops).
Central tentacle doesn't spawn on sand on the desert setting (poor guy). (And other stuff).

Since the change is major, version has gone up to 4.1.
So, to recap, two major features that have been introduced -

A new, balanced algorithm which always ensures almost the same, balanced amount of various terrain types (just with slight variations).
The old algorithm can still be chosen during setup.

The option to prevent tiles from changing under units. If this is chosen, the chances of various terrain types spawning will be adjusted dynamically depending on what terrains are occupied by troops so that the balance is maintained.

I've uploaded new screenshots featuring the new algorithm and kept some of the old ones so you can compare them. I've also added a detailed description of the options.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Well, another major update is up. Version 4.2 - I've vastly improved the balanced algorithm - essentially previously it calculated max terrain counts based on the current terrain chance percentages, but rounded them all up which resulted in some inaccuracy, especially on the mirror setting. I've changed it to compare different percentages so it first only rounds up the percentages at 0.50 or above and then if there still aren't enough terrain type instances to fill the map, it starts comparing those that were rounded down and rounds up those that would be the closest to being rounded up (ugh). This results in improved balance, especially on the smallest map which was the most problematic one due to the fact that it only has 18 tiles and having 10 different terrain types with percentages such as 4% or 15% made it really hard to accurately reflect those percentages.

Secondly, I've fixed a bug that decreased the forest amount on the cave setting (yes, Queen, you were right). We've been having an oos issue, too - so I've tried to optimise the code. Whether this has fixed the oos still needs to be tested.

Yesterday, while testing the new version, we encountered some bugs. They've all been fixed so if you are suffering from a broken terrain counter or something like that, update. Well, update anyways, since the algorithm is even better now. I will probably have to upload new screenshots :( .
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Version 4.3 - Fixed a bug that caused the Endless Loop of Death if the player had chosen Unbalanced Algorithm + Don't Keep Tiles Under Units.
Changed the desert back to swamp on the desert setting on the big Isar.
_Queen_

Post by _Queen_ »

I think option of allowing tiles to switch when unit is standing on it, shouldn't be allowed. Recently I played a game in which my leader was exposed, because tile under him turned into water and was easly killed. Player also often abuse options to get advantage or choose unbalanced map without realising it. The fact that I know it doesn't help, because what should I do? Negotiate with him remaking? Arguing and then leaving? IMO there should be separated map with strict and balanced options only.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

_Queen_ wrote:I think option of allowing tiles to switch when unit is standing on it, shouldn't be allowed. Recently I played a game in which my leader was exposed, because tile under him turned into water and was easly killed. Player also often abuse options to get advantage or choose unbalanced map without realising it. The fact that I know it doesn't help, because what should I do? Negotiate with him remaking? Arguing and then leaving? IMO there should be separated map with strict and balanced options only.
But wasn't that because you tend to host the map and play as the 2nd player? The host gets to choose the setting - and you would assume the hosting player knows what they want.
Abusing the settings to get an advantage shouldn't be a problem either, as the set-ups are designed to be all the same in terms of terrain type composition.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Version 4.5 fixes a stupid bug that made the keep tiles under units option not work as intended when mirror had been chosen. That is - it would only count a troop sitting on a tile as one tile that wouldn't be changed, while in fact, with mirror on, two tiles would remain unchanged. This resulted in some inaccuracies when the map was regenerated.

The WML context menu has been changed to a Lua one.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Version 4.6 introduces...
question mark.png
The question mark guy! You can get information on the mod from him. Every player has their own question mark. But... If it's your turn and you decide to read Mod Info instead of playing...
question mark angry.png
The question mark guy gets angry.

!!!
Bugfix 4.6c fixes popup bugs on the Mini Isar and prevents the currently playing side from accessing the Mod Info menu.
Bugfix 4.6d gives the question marks 9999999 hp.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Hey Choicerer! You doing a great job there :)
I have not tried your mod lately, as I have not played at all in last few months, but as I said before it's great to watch it :) And I like your idea about options to not change terrains under units.

So about the question mark guy, you can access the menu when it's not your turn? is it something to do with select event? I could just go and try it, but since i'm here, I thought would be easier to just ask and same time let you know that somebody cares about your great add-on! :)
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

Thank you! Yes, each player has their own question mark guy. The menu is accessed from a select event filtering for your question mark. This also sort of allows to prevent the currently playing player from accessing the menu, although it's still possible to bypass that by clicking on the guy before your turn starts. You won't get booted out of the menu, even though I have tried doing that. Simply because the game won't be registering turn changes while you are viewing a message based context menu.
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

I've moved the entire map setup to the map setup screen, so there is no more waiting for the 1st player to select options. (version 4.75) (long overdue...)
Choicerer

Post by Choicerer »

4,8 - Fixed a bug that prevented the option sliders from working on the Mini/Micro maps.
- If a player's unit are all killed, his Question Mark Guy self destructs, which is more convenient, because they no longer have to end their turn and are treated as defeated.
4.8b - Makes Satan Claus fully compatible with Keep Tiles Under Units.