I won colosseum on pro with 3 units.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elder2

I won colosseum on pro with 3 units.

Post by Elder2 »

I used standard colosseum era.

This is probably the strongest possible strategy for winning colosseum, all the other strong ones I tried (i.e. ulf, ghost, dwarf fighter, thunderers, even thunderers with heal) failed.
Moreover I was getting just 30 g each wave. But it turned out to be just enough gold, the trick is to be strong enough that ai won't be able to kill your units in 1 turn since you will be able to heal 100% of the damage with enough heal ability. The buy order is also a bit tricky, you will be able to see that on the replay.

The last wave was the hardest, eventually I spend as much gold on hp as possible and tried to block liches with ai units so that 4 ancient liches can't kill one of my units at night, that would be game over. A bit of luck also helped I guess

So basically this is how you ultimately win colosseum, you can't make the difficulty even higher since with 2 units you won't have enough heal to keep your units alive.

Replay:
https://mega.nz/#!v5FR0JKY!vNz50Cnbqapq ... 1js4Me_8UY

Btw I am not sure if anybody has managed to do this before, I hope I am the first one though its not very likely xD
The_Gnat

Re: I won colosseum on pro with 3 units.

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, yes i also found that the heal ability was the most important factor. (i did not do as well as you though playing winning with more units) I believe ultimately no matter how strong your fighters are, the heal ability and having HP over 100 is crucial or the ancient liches will kill you.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Once I was playing Colosseum with some random people online. Most of us were noobs and only one person survived the 4th wave or so. He was a dwarvish thunderer, so paying for extra ranged strikes had a HUGE return on investment. He also invested in a lot of feeding, which worked grandly because he ended up taking on all the remaining waves himself and winning. Since he was doing massive damage (a dragonguard with 5-ish shots) he got kills really quickly, so with around level 8 feeding he was getting at least a few dozen extra hitpoints per turn. Even the ancient liches, etc. couldn't hurt him faster than he gained XP and leveled up for a full heal. By the end of it all, I think he had well over 800 max hp.

It wasn't a lucky fluke, either. I tried the same thing a little while later with complete success. :lol: You just have to be careful that the horsemen don't kill you in the early waves; later on, it actually gets so easy it's boring. Of course, neither game was on pro difficulty.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

The_Gnat wrote:Hello, yes i also found that the heal ability was the most important factor. (i did not do as well as you though playing winning with more units) I believe ultimately no matter how strong your fighters are, the heal ability and having HP over 100 is crucial or the ancient liches will kill you.
Well the heal ability indeed is crucial but it does matter how strong your fighters are since I tested it with all the other good defensive units, dwarf fighters, thunderers, even woses and it only works with the most defensive unit in the default - guardsman
Samonella wrote:Once I was playing Colosseum with some random people online. Most of us were noobs and only one person survived the 4th wave or so. He was a dwarvish thunderer, so paying for extra ranged strikes had a HUGE return on investment. He also invested in a lot of feeding, which worked grandly because he ended up taking on all the remaining waves himself and winning. Since he was doing massive damage (a dragonguard with 5-ish shots) he got kills really quickly, so with around level 8 feeding he was getting at least a few dozen extra hitpoints per turn. Even the ancient liches, etc. couldn't hurt him faster than he gained XP and leveled up for a full heal. By the end of it all, I think he had well over 800 max hp.

It wasn't a lucky fluke, either. I tried the same thing a little while later with complete success. :lol: You just have to be careful that the horsemen don't kill you in the early waves; later on, it actually gets so easy it's boring. Of course, neither game was on pro difficulty.
Nice xD I think I once saw a bat with 1000 hp, it was a really long ago, it was unkillable. Overall I think that feeding is a huge risk in colosseum and I think the advantage it gives you late game isn't even that great. If you get unlucky early you die and I think you have to calculate (or just know from experience) how much and how often you should buy feeding, andt he otehr upgrades. And on higher levels really, no matter how strong you will manage to get with feeding you will die if the other players died.

Aside from thunderer the fighter is also very strong, but I think the thunderer is stronger. But I think the strongest all around unit for casual colosseum play (that is not cheese-like play I showcased here to be able to win colosseum on pro with just 3 units xD) is probably ghost (and ppl pick it often), even without feeding which many people seem to like to have on their ghost, though granted I do not really have a lot of experience with the ghost since with it being as popular pick as it is I am not a big fan of it and I didn't play a lot with it xD
Actually I don't even play a lot of colosseum but I took on the challenge to finish it in the most difficult possible way and I succeeded.
Last edited by Elder2 on March 26th, 2017, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Interesting. Thanks for figuring it out. I always failed with strategies which try to kill units quickly, rather than not even trying to get more than 30g and focusing on defense instead.
I just did it almost the same way. Not particularly difficult, no planning which unit attacks where and such. I didn't even spend anything on damage or strikes. Just buy hitpoints and healing in such a way that healing is about half of max hitpoints so that each unit is fully healed in the turn. Be careful with the unit moving third as it cannot heal counter damage before the enemy attack. Other than that buy of course castle defense and resistance. Also, there is often no need to attack during the human turn, just let them slowly suicide on you. Resistance is better when defending anyway. An exception are the poisoners, these should be killed quickly since they break the healing system.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Anonymissimus wrote:Interesting. Thanks for figuring it out. I always failed with strategies which try to kill units quickly, rather than not even trying to get more than 30g and focusing on defense instead.
I just did it almost the same way. Not particularly difficult, no planning which unit attacks where and such. I didn't even spend anything on damage or strikes. Just buy hitpoints and healing in such a way that healing is about half of max hitpoints so that each unit is fully healed in the turn. Be careful with the unit moving third as it cannot heal counter damage before the enemy attack. Other than that buy of course castle defense and resistance. Also, there is often no need to attack during the human turn, just let them slowly suicide on you. Resistance is better when defending anyway. An exception are the poisoners, these should be killed quickly since they break the healing system.
Exactly, well maybe buying damage was unnecessary and had a detrimental influence on my guards, now if I was to play this one more time I would probably not do that. Anyway, it (barely) worked with some gold spent on damage. I think I bought the damage because my idea was to kill the mages and poisoners ASAP so they won't get a chance to wear my unit down but it turned out that is not how you should do it but rather focus on hawing enough hp and heal to survive just 1 turn under attack.

At first when I tried various things I tried to get more than 30g but it turned out that even at first wave its very difficult so I gave up the idea, I was worried that 30g may not be enough but it turns out that with this strategy it is enough.