New Menu Music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Disto is indeed right.
To be honest, i concentrate my energy music that will be the base of Wesnoth. Playable on every campaign. I personally don't have time to compose a music for every person that makes a campaign. I'm almost sure i can speak for Timothy as well.
And yes, i have very short time, so I'd rather use it well for the game base. I am actually going to cut some of my activities starting January because i have a bit too many things going on now... It gets hard to keep up!
Once Wesnoth's music is no longer a lack i will move on to Spacenoth if it ever grows. But I'm pretty confident it will!

Cheers,

Aleksi.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

Sorry that I appear to not be around!

I'm still here, checking the forums all the time, always up to date on how music is coming for Wesnoth. Aleksi and I stay in touch.

Aleksi is right, there is very little time for composing random requests.

At the same time, if there is a style you think the game needs, we will be glad to compose it. We are trying to cover various moods that depict the world of Wesnoth musically.

My next piece of gameplay music is almost completed. I have been wrestling with a few bars for weeks now. But, hey, gotta make it just right. After that, I plan to work on a more intense battle-style piece for all of you who are hungry for more dramatic pieces.

Just so you all know - I work on Wesnoth music faithfully. I rarely miss a day of composing for Wesnoth, so don't fear. Aleksi and I are always present, just very busy and working hard on creating a good soundtrack for a sweet game.

--Timothy
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

What about the orc theme? Is that ready to be commited? Or does it need some more work? I really would love to have some more of the high quality music in the release of 1.1. And since there will eventually be a christmas present for all the wesnoth players out there it would be good to know if some stuff can be commited.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

ivanovic wrote:What about the orc theme? Is that ready to be commited? Or does it need some more work? I really would love to have some more of the high quality music in the release of 1.1. And since there will eventually be a christmas present for all the wesnoth players out there it would be good to know if some stuff can be commited.
The Orc Theme is not finished at all and is going to be much longer. I am leaving for Japan tomorrow and will return on the 4th of January. i will go back to my Orc Theme as soon as possible.
I am working on several projects simultaneously (got to pay the rent) and also studying pretty intensely. I do my best for Wesnoth. it comes slowly but surely. I apologize for not been able to come up with stuff faster but Timothy is here to balance too. He just added a new music. Check it out! We are getting there! ;)

Aleksi.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I already did check it out. I like it really much, but the header infos are missing. Once he adds these i'll directly commit them and even wire one of the two game musics in as "annonymus music" for mp-games with shroud/fog.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

ivanovic, please see my last post in the other thread.

Please don't use any of our music as a single repeated piece in any battle. I describe how the music should work in the other post as well. Please see that the programmers set it up to work this way. We need to get rid of the repeated single track system.

--Timothy
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

TimothyP wrote:ivanovic, please see my last post in the other thread.

Please don't use any of our music as a single repeated piece in any battle. I describe how the music should work in the other post as well. Please see that the programmers set it up to work this way. We need to get rid of the repeated single track system.

--Timothy
Ivanovic - he's probably referring to this quote:
TimothyP wrote:What you are experiencing is that same thing that led us to start on a new set of music. We are trying to come up with a good library of in-game music to replace the current batch of music.

The programmers are (hopefully) going to write new code to play every piece of music from the music library randomly with short pauses in between, rather than repeating a single music through an entire battle / level.

--Timothy
To do this, we're going to have to have several "sets of songs" that play well together.

For that orc theme, for example, it might help if we had, instead of one big monolithic song, several songs in the same vein.

This is actually the exact same system used in Warcraft III, and it's one of the best "background music" setups I've seen for a game.

Personally, I actually don't like a lot of "background" music in games - if I were driving this thing, I'd opt instead for mostly ambient sounds coupled with "cinematic" music - music played at specific times in response to specific stimuli. Myst I had great music that only played when certain specific things happened (in fact, generally only in specific rooms). Some of their music looped, and worked a bit like background music, but some of their music only played at certain times (when reading a linking book for the first time, for example).

This is moot, however, until we have a bunch of really good ambient sounds.

I am, of course, not doing anything in the music dept. here, and as such this is entirely up to you gentlemen - I like what you've been doing so far, please don't stop or change your plans.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Hey everybody,

So i'm back to this thread… why? Because i'm working on the Main Menu music again. I decided to reorchestrate it and change a few things. Its already better in my opinion, it has more energy than the original one!
I'm trying to organize some time this summer to create some new music for Wesnoth. I know i didn't get to do that much this last year, but i've got lots of other projects going on! :)

So, hopefully i'll (re)finish the Main Menu music and start a new one i've had in mind… something more… undead-like! ;)
And i'll concentrate my energy into Win and Loss music. It seems like this is quite important…

See you soon,

Aleksi.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

I'm looking forward to hearing it :)
toni

Post by toni »

first of all i love your track and now i know where this one comes from. i already use it in my map, which is full of music. (may i do that? and i was going to write a list, where the music comes from)

but this track as main_menu music?? i just replaced it, it's not good for main_menu but really really good for gameplay!!!

i would like to hear more from your music. is there a place to do? :D
aka mysticspiral