The Wesnoth Minstrels

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: The Wesnoth Minstrels

Post by Inky »

Cool!! Great work! The trumpet makes the beginning so epic! :D
skeptical_troll wrote: Also, the ocarina is a nice touch, however the last few notes you play with it sound a bit low together with the strings, is there a way to fix that or is it just how the instrument is done?
I believe what is meant here is that the pitch is too low (in particular the low A at measure 15 sounded quite flat to me.)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote:I believe what is meant here is that the pitch is too low (in particular the low A at measure 15 sounded quite flat to me.)
Oh, right. Yeah the tuning was horrible in that part.
EDIT: that is fixable, but like i said it's not easy on the low A.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Inky wrote:I think your previous attachment actually had the same file (all parts together) 3 times?
I probably messed up something when exporting from audacity. This should work.
Inky wrote:It does sound cool with the inner string part but then I basically can't hear Samonella's awesome part at all anymore
No problem with that, I did it mainly to add some harmony where I felt it was lacking, but it's true that it overlaps a bit with Samonella's part. I haven't touched at all the volumes, maybe it can be decreased? Or maybe we keep only the parts where it does not overlap.
Attachments
vl1vl2.tar.gz
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 677 times
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hello all...
Interesting project you've got here.
Maybe i forgot or misunderstood something, but i downloaded the drums, violins, cello, ocarina and trumpet, and when listening, i noticed, that none of these plays the "g" in the second bar... the musescore midi file with the score has it... am i wrong?

EDIT:
oops, sorry, i just found it... at first i didn't see the file "stuff" :oops:

EDIT 2:
Well, that's all very nice, but each track starts at a different time, and one needs to go timeshifting by try and error, to synchronize them... i'm using Audacity, too. Wouldn't it be nice, to have a common timebase, shared by all, so all recording starts at the same 0:00:00,000 h/min/sec or something? Then, e.g. when exporting "trumpet-end" it would be padded with silence from the beginning, understand my problem?
Last edited by Zap-Zarap on March 6th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like beavers.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Nice! my favourite is the 'main-drums.ogg' with enough dedication, it could be made into a separate soundtrack (if you add some more sounds that are not in the main theme's rhythm)
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

The "xmls" thing is great. Very useful, thanks for working this out (btw, i use Musescore2, too...).

I'd like to participate, if you like me to, and play a picking on one of my instruments, please choose one:

1) acoustic (steel string) guitar
2) clean E-guitar
or
3) banjo (a 6-string, tuned like a guitar)
I like beavers.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Zap-Zarap wrote: Well, that's all very nice, but each track starts at a different time, and one needs to go timeshifting by try and error, to synchronize them... i'm using Audacity, too. Wouldn't it be nice, to have a common timebase, shared by all, so all recording starts at the same 0:00:00,000 h/min/sec or something? Then, e.g. when exporting "trumpet-end" it would be padded with silence from the beginning, understand my problem?
I'm all for this. Maybe if everyone just posts their parts with the right padding to fit the drum track? If that's too much blank space at the beginning, I could easily remove the empty space before the 4 clicks, and we could make future recordings off that.
Zap-Zarap wrote:I'd like to participate, if you like me to, and play a picking on one of my instruments, please choose one:

1) acoustic (steel string) guitar
2) clean E-guitar
or
3) banjo (a 6-string, tuned like a guitar)
Awesome! :D But to just choose one? Haha, that's too tough for me. I'll defer to the string players. What part were you planning on playing, one of the existing ones, a mix of them, something new?
ForestDragon wrote:Nice! my favourite is the 'main-drums.ogg' with enough dedication, it could be made into a separate soundtrack (if you add some more sounds that are not in the main theme's rhythm)
Thanks! :lol: Although it was supposed to just be the background.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Zap-Zarap wrote:I'd like to participate, if you like me to, and play a picking on one of my instruments, please choose one:
Awesome!! Well, I don't have any preference about the instruments, so whichever you think sounds best! :D

So great to see more people interested in our cover! 8)
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Samonella wrote: Maybe if everyone just posts their parts with the right padding to fit the drum track? If that's too much blank space at the beginning, I could easily remove the empty space before the 4 clicks, and we could make future recordings off that.
That would be a good idea. Let's use the drum track (including the clicks, they can serve as an additional point of orientation) as you proposed. Don't mind the extra space, that will be not a problem. The padding is all Zeroes, and when compressing them, as an mp3, or ogg, or, because we need that here, a zip-archive, they need very few bytes only.
Samonella wrote:What part were you planning on playing, one of the existing ones, a mix of them, something new?
I plan to play a "finger picking" (arpeggio like) of some chords. Probably on my acoustic guitar, which fits better with the violin and trumpet sound than an electric guitar. Banjo might be too folky, or not? Not sure... Well, once i learned how to play the chords, it's easy to record various versions on each of the three instruments (all playing the same), so you/we might listen to it and choose later.

I'm not quite sure, if in bar #6 goes b major or b minor.... what do you think? Please help... :hmm:
I like beavers.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Awesome!
Zap-Zarap wrote: I'm not quite sure, if in bar #6 goes b major or b minor.... what do you think?
I think there is B, D# and F# there, so B major?
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Samonella wrote: .... because the only new violin recording also had my old recordings mixed in.
That happend, when exporting from Audacity. i guess? Try to select the tracks you want, and then do "export selected audio", not all the audio.
Samonella wrote:... so these are recorded by my laptop. It was giving me all kinds of issues; apparently it thought the ocarina was some unwanted buzzing noise it should try to filter out or something like that, because it kept dropping my sound towards the end of longer notes.
So, you used Audacity and the inbuild mic of your laptop that day? Seems, that the laptop did some auto-leveling of the recording volume. That might be configured somwhere in the systems options (try to turn that off, if possible). Or maybe in the options of Audacity (or the program,that you used that day).

Maybe i just ddin't see that, as happend before, but, is there a post of only the ocarina, without the trumpet?
Inky wrote:I think there is B, D# and F# there, so B major?
You are right, thanks. I didn't see the D# in the bass line (i am very slow, reading music notation).

This project is a lot of fun. :D
I like beavers.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Good Morning!
Here is my first try to add a guitar.
I'm not sure, if this can go into your project, because it is somehow a bit further beyond the original music, because there is no guitar in the original, and the cello, violins etc. you played, stick quite closely to Aleksi's version, know what i mean? The guitar is like "added" to the original music. Don't know, if this fits into your artist's concept. ;)

Ofc, the guitar is supposed to sound at a very low volume, only in the background.
It should synchronize with the drums track.

Btw: i've been reading in this forum a lot, but i still can't figure out exactly, who of you is playing what instrument/s... Samonella played the ocarina?
Attachments
guitar-V0.0.1.zip
Zap-Zarap's first try to add a guitar to the project
(533.32 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
I like beavers.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Zap-Zarap wrote: So, you used Audacity and the inbuild mic of your laptop that day? Seems, that the laptop did some auto-leveling of the recording volume. That might be configured somwhere in the systems options (try to turn that off, if possible). Or maybe in the options of Audacity (or the program,that you used that day).
I was just using audacity. If it gives me trouble again I'll try to find such options, but hopefully things will go well next time when I use my actual mic.
Zap-Zarap wrote:Maybe i just ddin't see that, as happend before, but, is there a post of only the ocarina, without the trumpet?
Em, looks like I didn't post one. But it wasn't much good anyway.
Zap-Zarap wrote:Here is my first try to add a guitar.
I'm not sure, if this can go into your project, because it is somehow a bit further beyond the original music, because there is no guitar in the original, and the cello, violins etc. you played, stick quite closely to Aleksi's version, know what i mean? The guitar is like "added" to the original music. Don't know, if this fits into your artist's concept. ;)
Wow!! It sounds great! Really, really great! I definitely vote to put it in, even if it seems a little out of place.
Zap-Zarap wrote:Btw: i've been reading in this forum a lot, but i still can't figure out exactly, who of you is playing what instrument/s... Samonella played the ocarina?
Yes, I'm playing trumpet and ocarina, Inky is playing cello, and skeptical_troll plays violin. And I threw together the drum track using LMMS.

Btw everyone, this week is looking pretty busy for me so it will probably be a while until I get another recording session.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Samonella wrote:
Zap-Zarap wrote:Here is my first try to add a guitar.
Wow!! It sounds great! Really, really great! I definitely vote to put it in, even if it seems a little out of place.
I agree, it sounds amazing! Our cover is just getting more and more awesome!!

I think the more people we have, the better - so to anyone lurking here it's not too late to join in :D
Samonella wrote:Btw everyone, this week is looking pretty busy for me so it will probably be a while until I get another recording session.
There's no hurry, take as much time as you need :)
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

I am happy, that you liked my recording...

I think, when listening to the guitar only, it is not very interesting. But i did a quick mix of all the instruments together, putting the guitar very much in the background. Then it gives some percussive effect to the music, because all the violins, cello and trumpet play those slow, long notes, and the guitar acts like an acoustical counterweight to that, with its sharp, short notes.

I like the ocarina sound very much. Samonella should definitely play it, when he has some free time, i my opinion (and the trumpet, too, ofc).
I like beavers.