The Wesnoth Minstrels

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: The Wesnoth Minstrels

Post by ForestDragon »

Zap-Zarap wrote:But i did a quick mix of all the instruments together, putting the guitar very much in the background. Then it gives some percussive effect to the music, because all the violins, cello and trumpet play those slow, long notes, and the guitar acts like an acoustical counterweight to that, with its sharp, short notes.
could you post the mix here?
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

ForestDragon wrote:could you post the mix here?
Well, it is really a very quick mix.. i'm not even sure if i have the right versions of cello and violins.
I hope, every instrument can be heard.

Have fun, so far. :D
Attachments
all-so-far-version2.zip
A quick mix of what we have so far. With guitar.
(996.59 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
I like beavers.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Is it an important requirement, to be a "Wesnothian", to participate in The Wesnoth Ministrels?
A friend of mine plays the double bass, and another one the trombone. Maybe they'd like to join the project, but both of them are not gamers, and don't know BfW.
I like beavers.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Zap-Zarap wrote:A friend of mine plays the double bass, and another one the trombone. Maybe they'd like to join the project, but both of them are not gamers, and don't know BfW.
The only goal here is to have fun so I´d say that everybody is welcome! In the worst case, if we feel that some instruments don't sound well together, or that there are too many voices, we can always produce multiple versions.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

skeptical_troll wrote:The only goal here is to have fun so I´d say that everybody is welcome! In the worst case, if we feel that some instruments don't sound well together, or that there are too many voices, we can always produce multiple versions.
I agree, the more the merrier!

Finally recorded again today! Much less trouble with the mic, it was just picking up a little fuzz. Trying to remove it did affect the sound quality a little, but I think it was worth it this time. I had tuning trouble with my trumpet (like the ones I uploaded last time but a little bit worse) so there's no updates there, but I do have a much better ocarina recording. I'm not satisfied with it yet, but it's a big step in a good direction. I changed/added parts at the end of it's line, so listen for that.

There is also a mix of everything so far except the trumpet (because frankly all of my trumpet recordings so far are horribly sharp). It includes skeptical troll's latest versions (parts 1 and 2), the drums, guitar, Inky's latest "bottom" part and half of her "middle" part - i think it sounds really nice making an entrance where it does in this mix. In fact, the whole thing is sounding pretty good!

I had a vague idea that maybe the guitar could keep playing arpeggios through the very last 4 bars, the ones that are currently just drums? I don't really know what chords to use, but maybe play around and see if you can come up with anything good?

I'll probably record again tomorrow, so if you have suggestions get them in quick! :D
Attachments
looking_up.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 714 times
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hey, the new ocarina is nice. You play a kind of glissando at one time, i like it.

About the guitar in the final part, i'd propose to play only e minor, maybe add an f once. I'll try to record something later.
I like beavers.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hello everyone! so, since my favorite version out of your versions of the main theme is the one with only drums, i decided to improve it (removed the silence at the end, and most of it at the beginning, fixed drums getting quieter in the middle part, and made it more loop-able)
main-drums-edit.7z
(4.94 MiB) Downloaded 772 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Very cool, great work!! :D I wonder if the violin part should be a little louder since it is the main melody (it's a bit hard to hear at the end) :hmm: It sounds great as is though!! 8)
ForestDragon wrote:my favorite version out of your versions of the main theme is the one with only drums
In other words, the one with none of us playing in it, I wonder whether there is some kind of message to be gotten here :lol:
(Just kidding, ForestDragon) By the way, those four clicks at the beginning were only a reference to set the tempo, so it might sound better with them removed.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Inky wrote:ForestDragon wrote:
my favorite version out of your versions of the main theme is the one with only drums

In other words, the one with none of us playing in it, I wonder whether there is some kind of message to be gotten here
I guess that settles it: machines 1 - humans 0 :lol: :lol:
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

:augh: The woes of a casual trumpet player. By the time I'm properly warmed up, I only have a few minutes before my lips start giving out. But I finally got an okay recording, bordering on good. Hopefully I'll get an even better one sometime, but for now at least I'm awfully tired of those four measures. I also got a slightly better one with the ocarina.

I think it's best to leave out the trumpet in the last four measures; it just sounds weird to have brass come in out of nowhere, and in only the middle range. Besides, that would make a total of four instruments playing that part, with only one on top or bottom.

Anyway, I think we're basically finished now, right? Unless someone has specific suggestions (which are of course welcome), I think i'm satisfied with my parts. So I included 2 mixes, one with the tempo clicks, and one that starts right on the drum roll pickup. Since we're on the home stretch, I also did some panning:
  • Drums: center
  • Guitar: 60% left
  • Bottom Cello: 80% right
  • Middle Cello: 70% right
  • Violin 1: 30% left
  • Violin 2: 40% left
  • Trumpet 1 & 2: center
  • Ocarina: 50% right
EDIT: The panning list above (and the attachment below) edited after Inky's next post

And, in the version without the clicks, I also tried adding a little reverb.
Attachments
for_the_record.zip
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 754 times
Last edited by Samonella on March 14th, 2017, 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow!! The new trumpet and ocarina parts sound really really great! Amazing job! :D
Samonella wrote:Violin 1: 30% right
Violin 2: 40% right
It sounds a bit unbalanced to me with all the strings on the right. In an orchestra the violins are on the left (violin 1 all the way left, violin 2 center left) so maybe we could try that? :hmm:

The final recording sounds awesome, by the way! Great work, everyone 8)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote:It sounds a bit unbalanced to me with all the strings on the right. In an orchestra the violins are on the left (violin 1 all the way left, violin 2 center left) so maybe we could try that? :hmm:
Right you are. I was thinking it would be nice to have the bowed strings together, but since they are kind of the meat of the ensemble they definitely shouldn't be all on one side. I made that change, and shuffled some other parts' pannings to try accounting for it.