Wesnoth sheet music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

Re: Wesnoth sheet music

Post by Samonella »

Finished? Pretty close anyway.
Inky wrote:The one place where I felt it got too creative was the D# in measure 58 beat 6 which sounds weird with the A; the A isn't part of the harmony and is only there to connect the G# and B so it doesn't make sense to emphasize it.
Well, the D# was only supposed to connect the F# with the E (which is played by the left hand but is still the resolution the last note of that phrase). It sounds like you want to remove it so that's what i did, but maybe replacing it with an f# could work?
Inky wrote:-A potential idea to make m. 51 a little more interesting - maybe have the middle voice come in on beat 3 with (8th notes) C# D, it would sort of simulate the crescendo there?
I actually almost did this originally, so in it goes. :lol:
Inky wrote:Also the downbeat of 52 could definitely be more epic; I would try adding some As and C#s to the upper octaves.
And maybe put some courtesy C#s in measure 42, on the offchance that someone will actually play this :)
Not sure what you had in mind for these, I can't find a good way to do either one.
Inky wrote:-m. 55 bottom voice: I would use A instead of C# in the bottom chord, there are already enough C#s going on there :P
C# and A sound about as good to me, so I'd rather not change to A (AFAICS there are none in the midi)
Inky wrote:And to nitpick some more, measures 54, 58 and 63 still have the two dotted halfs tied together.
:? How did i still miss some?
Inky wrote:I also think it would be nice if we made a version for one piano, it shouldn't be too hard to paste it together using parts from the duet. It wouldn't be as epic but I imagine it would be more useful for the average person. I could give it a try, unless you'd like to work on that (I imagine you'd do a better job than me :whistle: )
Not to say I expect anyone will use either one, but here's a draft (included in the zip). There some parts that aren't too easy to read or play, though...

EDIT: Since this is starting a new page, I guess I should re-state that this all has to do with Journey's End.

EDIT 2: attachment removed, use the ones two posts down instead
Last edited by Samonella on May 18th, 2017, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Re: Finished?
Samonella wrote:Well, the D# was only supposed to connect the F# with the E
Ah I think you're right, listening to it again the D# sounds fine, I think it just sounded weird to me was because it wasn't in the piece.
Inky wrote: Also the downbeat of 52 could definitely be more epic; I would try adding some As and C#s to the upper octaves.
I just meant adding some A/C# to the chord there to give it a bigger sound, something like this, maybe it's too creative? It doesn't matter much either way.
m52.png
m52.png (9.79 KiB) Viewed 15689 times
Inky wrote:And maybe put some courtesy C#s in measure 42, on the offchance that someone will actually play this
Here I just meant to add the # symbol to the three C#s in m42 since they were marked as C natural in the previous measure, to make it less confusing for a player to sightread.
Samonella wrote:C# and A sound about as good to me, so I'd rather not change to A (AFAICS there are none in the midi)
m. 55: I think there actually is an A in the midi which is held over from the previous measure, but either way sounds good.
Samonella wrote:Not to say I expect anyone will use either one, but here's a draft
It's awesome!!! Nice work! :D 8)
In m. 1-7, do you think it sounds better to try to add in the notes that the lower voice was playing, like this? :hmm:
Spoiler:
And I imagine that at least someone will use these, it can't be that everyone is just downloading these pdfs to look at the pretty patterns? :P :whistle:
If anyone out there is using these we'd love to hear about it! :)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Re again
Inky wrote:I just meant adding some A/C# to the chord there to give it a bigger sound, something like this, maybe it's too creative? It doesn't matter much either way.
I added some stems to the downbeats, not just that measure but throughout that section. I think it's a decent improvement.
Inky wrote:Here I just meant to add the # symbol to the three C#s in m42 since they were marked as C natural in the previous measure, to make it less confusing for a player to sightread.
Right, good idea. I added them to m48 as well.
Inky wrote:In m. 1-7, do you think it sounds better to try to add in the notes that the lower voice was playing, like this? :hmm:
Nah, I think it's best to give up on that part.
Inky wrote:If anyone out there is using these we'd love to hear about it! :)
I second this!
Attachments
Solo-Journeys_End.pdf
(69.28 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
Duet-Journeys_End.pdf
(92.82 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
Primo-Journeys_End.pdf
(59.88 KiB) Downloaded 814 times
Secondo-Journeys_End.pdf
(53.96 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
xmls.zip
(33.01 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey everyone, I made an attempt to fill out the accompaniment for Ambuscade by West. Some parts sound a bit weird, not sure if it's right. Corrections/suggestions welcome! :D
Attachments
Ambuscade.pdf
(67.66 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
AmbuscadeXML.zip
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Samonella wrote:
Inky wrote:I also think it would be nice if we made a version for one piano, it shouldn't be too hard to paste it together using parts from the duet. It wouldn't be as epic but I imagine it would be more useful for the average person. I could give it a try, unless you'd like to work on that (I imagine you'd do a better job than me :whistle: )
Not to say I expect anyone will use either one, but here's a draft (included in the zip). There some parts that aren't too easy to read or play, though...
I just got around to downloading the sheet music. I can't really read notes unless I take the time to count each one, which is why I didn't download it until now. But I do thank you guys for putting the work into this! I had quite a bit of fun picking the bass line out on the guitar. I'll have to print the music out and practice on the piano (even though I don't really play it) now so I can get all those notes.

Your work is appreciated!
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Vulpine wrote: I just got around to downloading the sheet music. I can't really read notes unless I take the time to count each one, which is why I didn't download it until now. But I do thank you guys for putting the work into this! I had quite a bit of fun picking the bass line out on the guitar. I'll have to print the music out and practice on the piano (even though I don't really play it) now so I can get all those notes.
That's great!!! 8) So happy to hear someone else is having fun with these :D Thanks for commenting!

----------
I've been working on another atrocity, this time it is a desecration of Northerners by Stephen Rozanc. It's based on 2:15 to the end of the track (but the rest of the track is very similar). A lot of times there was nothing going on in the lower part, so I "creatively" tried to add in some notes/rhythms (based on what the percussion is doing) to the bottom part.

It's even more... imaginative... than usual, I don't know if the piece is recognizable anymore :? :whistle: Any kind of suggestions/ideas are welcome!

Edit: Okay it was too creative :P Less imaginative version is two posts down.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Vulpine wrote:I just got around to downloading the sheet music. I can't really read notes unless I take the time to count each one, which is why I didn't download it until now. But I do thank you guys for putting the work into this! I had quite a bit of fun picking the bass line out on the guitar. I'll have to print the music out and practice on the piano (even though I don't really play it) now so I can get all those notes.
Awesome, good luck!
Inky wrote:I've been working on another atrocity, this time it is a desecration of Northerners by Stephen Rozanc.
Wow, great job! The first dozen measures were, em, a bit too creative, but the rest was really good!

It looks like the baseline in 14-22ish jumps up and down octaves a bit, I assume to make it playable? The melody gets a little lost when it comes up though. I think it would still be possible to play with it staying down... not easy, because the right hand would have to hit some of the melody notes, but still possible. After all, the treble clef eighths usually stick to 3 notes at a time, so the thumb would be free to hit a middle B or G.

I think(?) professional piano scores do that sometimes, where one hand has to play parts of the other staff? Or maybe I'm just thinking of when I tried playing SATB choir music. Anyway, I did that kind of thing in the Traveling Minstrels score.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Samonella wrote:The first dozen measures were, em, a bit too creative
Yeah, it did sound pretty weird there. :doh: :whistle: I removed the, ahem, "innovations" from those measures so now it's just what was in the piece. I still feel like the lower part needs something more because to me those 8th notes in measures 5-11 sound extremely tedious and repetitive on their own. But I guess we can let the player figure that out for themselves. :P

I don't know if I should remove those bottom melodies in measures 26-32 too? In the piece the lower voice is really not doing much at the end, but I think at 1:00 (when these melodies occur) the top line is the same as the notes at the end.
Samonella wrote:It looks like the baseline in 14-22ish jumps up and down octaves a bit, I assume to make it playable? The melody gets a little lost when it comes up though. I think it would still be possible to play with it staying down... not easy, because the right hand would have to hit some of the melody notes, but still possible.
Oh wow, I didn't think of playing some of those notes with the right hand, that would be the smart thing to do! I changed the lower notes back to their original octaves.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
Attachments
NorthernersXML.zip
(7.44 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
Northerners.pdf
(53.48 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Here's Transience by Aleksi, a really short but nice piece. :)

I think my next project is going to be heroes' rite since I always liked that one!
Attachments
TransienceXML.zip
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
Transience.pdf
(25.45 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Traveling Minstrels, the song that I just can't get right. I'm back at it again, because after not listening to the midi for a long time and then trying to actually play my version of the sheet music, frankly, many parts of the accompaniment sounded wretched and nothing like Traveling Minstrels. In other words, Inky was right all along. :annoyed: :P This new version is much closer to the ogg, and (I think) a huge improvement overall.

I also started working on West's Silvan Sanctuary. I think I'm pretty close for the first minute or so, but that's as far as I've gotten so far because the next section has a piano and a harp all blended together and I'm having a hard time picking out their notes.
Attachments
minstrels_and_sanctuary.zip
(20.45 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
Traveling_Minstrels.pdf
(84.85 KiB) Downloaded 788 times

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Awesome!!! 8) I updated the first post's link to Traveling Minstrels - sounds great!

Really nice work on Silvan Sanctuary too!
I made a few changes, but I'm not sure about some of them, maybe they just make it sound worse :whistle:
Changes
m. 1-2 (and 9-10): I think some string instrument is playing D A | D
m. 3-4 (and 11-12): I hear a wind instrument or something playing B on the downbeats of these measures
m. 13-16: I moved the ascending scale down an octave (like it is in the piece), I think it's easier to tell the two lines apart this way
m. 20: I think for the top line it's B (dotted half) then A G (8th notes), instead of just doubling the lower part
m. 21 and 22, bottom line: I think the first notes are dotted quarters
m. 23 top: Changed the 16th note on beat 2 from G to A
m. 23 bottom: I don't hear a note change on beat 3, it sounds to me like that bottom G is being held throughout the entire measure
And I think the note on beat 4 is A, then B on downbeat of 24
m. 24 top: Moved this up a third (D Eb D)
m. 28 onward: I tried to fill in this next section, probably has some wrong notes (I can't seem to figure out what the piano is playing in m. 31)
EDIT: removed attachment, final version is here! viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44192&start=90#p615768
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Awesome, thanks for the help! :D
Re:Changes
Inky wrote:m. 1-2 (and 9-10): I think some string instrument is playing D A | D
I thought so too at first, but I wasn't sure so I had left them out.
Inky wrote:m. 3-4 (and 11-12): I hear a wind instrument or something playing B on the downbeats of these measures
Eh, are you sure? Unfortunately, I think you're right, but B doesn't sound so good when the timpani A is replaced with a piano A. Perhaps it's a C instead? :whistle:
Inky wrote:m. 13-16: I moved the ascending scale down an octave (like it is in the piece), I think it's easier to tell the two lines apart this way
Ooh, yup that's much better.
Inky wrote:m. 20: I think for the top line it's B (dotted half) then A G (8th notes), instead of just doubling the lower part
Hm, we're still missing something there but that is an improvement.
Inky wrote:m. 21 and 22, bottom line: I think the first notes are dotted quarters
I don't hear that at all, they sound pretty even to me.
Inky wrote:m. 23 top: Changed the 16th note on beat 2 from G to A
I did hear an A there, but I didn't think it sounded good to start on-beat which is why I had the G last an extra sixteenth beat. I listened pretty closely with a met and can say there's something strange, maybe a 5-tuplet like I put in this version, but I think my first one sounds best overall.
Inky wrote:m. 23 bottom: I don't hear a note change on beat 3, it sounds to me like that bottom G is being held throughout the entire measure
Right, but there is a strong G A | G coming from a string instrument a couple octaves up (in fact, the same one that was previously playing melody with the flute). I thought the piano score sounded better putting that motion in the bass as opposed to mixing it with the sixteenths and things, but I suppose that kind of arranging thing should be left until we're clear on what the notes are.
Inky wrote:And I think the note on beat 4 is A, then B on downbeat of 24
m. 24 top: Moved this up a third (D Eb D)
Yes, these are definitely right. That gives the left hand quite a stretch... but that's an arrangement thing to worry about later too.

Oh, I also swapped two lines' octaves in 26-27, which I think is closer to the original.
New changes: 28 onward
Inky wrote:m. 28 onward: I tried to fill in this next section, probably has some wrong notes (I can't seem to figure out what the piano is playing in m. 31)
Nice! I'm glad you zeroed in on the piano, I was having an easier time picking out the harp. For now I added a third line for it. Eventually they'll need to be combined, which will not be easy.
  • 29:Added two Es in the piano part, splitting 2+ and 3. I think the piano splits in other places, but those three Es in a row are the only ones I can make out for sure.
  • 31, bottom: The piano gets really quiet for 1+ and 2, but I think 2+ is G and 3 is D.
  • 31, top: for now, moved the clarinet-ish instrument up an octave so I could add the strings back into 32. Also, I'm pretty sure it splits on the last note, adding a D.
  • 32-33, bottom: I think the piano and harp are nearly the same as 28-29, the only difference is that in 29 the piano emphasizes beat 4 but 33 emphasizes 3+.
Haven't worked on the next section yet, but what you have sounds pretty good!
EDIT: attachment removed, final version later
Last edited by Samonella on July 29th, 2017, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Making progress! :D
Re: re: Changes
m. 3-4/11-12: I hear a wind instrument playing B4 C5 | B4 pretty clearly here, maybe try listening for that melody?
m. 19: I also hear violas or something playing (quarter notes) E C D C
m. 21-22: You're right, it's just quarter notes there! For some reason I didn't hear the note on beat 2 until after it started
m. 23: Another possibility might be to put the G A | G above the flute (like it is in the piece):
measure23.png
measure23.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 14980 times
Also I think that dotted quarter D in the bottom part should be G instead

m. 28 onward: I think for putting it together it would make most sense to try to combine the piano part (an octave up) with the violin part and then move the harp part an octave up. The piano is doubling the violins on beats 3 and 4 anyway.

I think mayyybe beat 3 of m. 29 is G# C# and m. 33 beat 3 is G# E?

(This is another passage I never want to hear again... :()
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I tried putting them together like you said, and it worked pretty well, much better than whatever vague I ideas I had about combining the harp and piano would have. Even though really it's closer to throwing out the strings line than merging it in, tbh, because all the notes that weren't already doubled by piano are hidden beneath it now. Well, whatever, it still sounds ok. Also, I didn't move the harp up an octave because then it was playing on top of the piano sometimes. I did move up the downbeat low notes though, since most pianos are horribly out of tune down there (if they even have the full 72 notes). Couldn't move the downbeat of 31, which means it's lower than the others whereas in the original it's higher, but I don't think that's a big deal.
Re:Re:Re:R-wait, that was too many
Inky wrote:m. 3-4/11-12: I hear a wind instrument playing B4 C5 | B4 pretty clearly here, maybe try listening for that melody?
I thought I heard it after looping for a while, but I tried whistling along into a tuner and I actually was hearing C5 E5 | C5. :?
Inky wrote:m. 19: I also hear violas or something playing (quarter notes) E C D C
I noticed those, but didn't bother picking them out before. I think the phrase ends with a B on m. 20?
Inky wrote:m. 23: Another possibility might be to put the G A | G above the flute (like it is in the piece):
Eh maybe, but I'm not a big fan, it hides the E-flat too much.
Inky wrote:Also I think that dotted quarter D in the bottom part should be G instead
Yep, right you are. I'd like to have a D as well (unless there's something better) because it sounds a bit empty with nothing but Gs.
Inky wrote:I think mayyybe beat 3 of m. 29 is G# C# and m. 33 beat 3 is G# E?
I think c# in 29 is right, but G#s do not sound good at all to me.
Other changes/updates
  • I tried finishing out that section. Not sure what you were hearing for the left hand at 34-35, but here's what I came up with for the piano and harp:
    34-35.png
    34-35.png (11.43 KiB) Viewed 14965 times
    In the xml I tried combining the top two lines the same way as the previous measures. I had to cut out the A from 2+ or it sounded silly (an A on five eighth-beats straight, no bueno)
  • The harp goes away after the downbeat of 36, and I don't miss it. :D
  • In 36-39, I think the melody also has notes a third above what you wrote, though they fade in and out of easy audibility.
  • I think the the piano splits on the on-beats, though I'm doubtful I heard all the higher notes correctly. It will probably be best to leave off those notes anyway, or the piano would have to drop an octave.
Finally, I started on the next section, but when I tried the piano I found myself struggling to even figure out what the off-beats were (either Fs or B-flats :roll: ) and decided to call it quits. I'll get back to it, but probly not for a couple days.

EDIT: attachment removed, final version later
Last edited by Samonella on July 29th, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Cool, nice work!
(Re:)[super]4[/super] Changes
Samonella wrote:I thought I heard it after looping for a while, but I tried whistling along into a tuner and I actually was hearing C5 E5 | C5.
I am starting to doubt my sanity, but now what I hear is an instrument on the left playing B C | B and an instrument on the right playing C C# | C :?
(I listen to these using one earbud at a time which makes it easier to hear the separate parts)
Samonella wrote:I noticed those, but didn't bother picking them out before. I think the phrase ends with a B on m. 20?
Yeah, I think so too.
Samonella wrote:I think c# in 29 is right, but G#s do not sound good at all to me.
Oops, listening to it again I think you're right, it's G and not G# :doh:

34-35: What you wrote sounds great! (I *think* the piano is just playing quarter notes and the cellos are playing D A A | B which gives the effect of these notes on the offbeat)
Samonella wrote:In 36-39, I think the melody also has notes a third above what you wrote, though they fade in and out of easy audibility.
Wow, I didn't notice that! I think the downbeat of 36 also has an E a 3rd above the C#.

For measures 40-45 I think the piano is just repeating this measure 6 times:
measures40-45.png
measures40-45.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 14926 times
I miss the midis too :lol: