Wesnoth sheet music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Wesnoth sheet music

Post by Inky »

Basically everything here is still a work in progress; I'd like to go back sometime and finish/ add accompaniment/ fix typos for previous posts, but there's no way I can get to all of them. Any help is welcome :)
Big thanks to skeptical_troll and Samonella (who made several of these) for helping with these! And huge thanks to West for posting the midis to some of his pieces!

Mainline music:

Battle-Epic by Doug Kaufman
Journey's End by West The midi can be found here.
The King is Dead by West
Over the Northern Mountains by West
Love Theme by Ryan Reilly
Traveling Minstrels by West The midi can be found here.
Elvish Theme by Doug Kaufman
Nunc Dimittis by Jeremy Nicoll
Battle by Aleksi
Main Theme by Aleksi
Still Another Wanderer by Timothy Pinkham
Northerners by Stephen Rozanc
Transience by Aleksi
Silvan Sanctuary by West
Legends of the North by West
Return to Wesnoth (new main theme) by West

UMC Music:
These can be downloaded from the "UMC Music Book" add-ons from the wesnoth add-on server. List of all UMC music tracks compiled by Pentarctagon

Ambuscade by West
High King's March by West
Isanbar Theme by West
Gol Ashamdir by West
Moleman by Telaron
Returning in Time by Telaron
Lonely Snowfall by Jeremy Nicoll

-----Original Post------
Hey everyone,

I'm a huge fan of Wesnoth's music so I'm trying to make a collection of sheet music (usually just the main melody/ theme) for various mainline and UMC pieces.

I'm not very good at figuring things out by ear though (and don't really know any music theory) so there are probably going to be lots of mistakes. Any help, whether it's posting your own transcriptions or pointing out mistakes, is very welcome!

I also attach the musicXML files in case anyone wants to edit them (Musescore 2 is a free and open source score editing software), in a zip file since the forum doesn't allow XML attachments.
Last edited by Inky on May 18th, 2017, 8:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Ambuscade sheet music

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Inky,

You've probably seen this already, but just to be sure:

http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=597261#p597261

West might be willing to help with the sheet music and technique for writing it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

doofus-01: Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, West has mentioned on the forums that he doesn't read sheet music and doesn't have sheet music or midis for his pieces.

-----
There were a bunch of wrong notes near the end of the Ambuscade music so I (hopefully) fixed them, and replaced the files in the first post.

Also, I wrote down the beginning of High King's March (also by West, from UMC book 3) - another awesome piece! It's likely not completely correct though (some of the accompaniment was really hard to hear so I just guessed) so as usual any corrections are welcome.

EDIT: fixed some issues in measures 31-34 (thanks skeptical troll!)

EDIT2 this had tons of typos, new version is here! viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44192&p=617982#p617982
Last edited by Inky on May 31st, 2016, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

wow, nice work! I also like the 'Ambuscade' track. Only wrong note I see (probably a typo) is the D# at measure 33, I think it should be natural.

EDIT: had a quick look at the march. In general it looks good although I can't tell if all the chords are right, for sure there is something wrong at 31-34. 31 is C major, so middle voice should start one tone up (as in the next measure). Not sure about this but bass in 32 could be a C . 33 instead is C minor, so middle voice start from Eb, upper voice is a minor third up (C-Eb etc..), bass is Eb.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Wesnoth sheet music

Post by Inky »

Hey, sorry it took a while to reply (didn't have internet the past few days).

Ambuscade m. 33: Well, I thought I'd add my own personal improvement to the piece since just a regular old D would have been so boring :P (actually I just got confused by the weird instrument there; it's fixed now.)

High King's March m. 31-34: Ahh, I had a lot of trouble with that part. I think it's fixed now. Thanks a lot for the corrections!!

--------
And here is battle-epic something which might sound vaguely like battle-epic, if you use your imagination :D
Attachments
battleEpic-xml.zip
(4.47 KiB) Downloaded 1097 times
battle-epic.pdf
(40.57 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

And here is (approximately...I hope) the melody to Journey's End by West, one of my favorite mainline Wesnoth pieces. By the way I am so glad this is going to be the new main menu music, because I can't tell you how many times I accidentally left my computer's volume at maximum, then innocently and unsuspectingly opened Wesnoth....

EDIT: Fixed some issues mentioned below by skeptical_troll.
Edit2 2/2/2017: a few wrong notes in the middle section, and I wrote that part on two staves because it was completely unreadable before

EDIT: removed this- a better version can be found here! viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44192&p=612718#p612718
Last edited by Inky on February 3rd, 2017, 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

A couple more pieces from mainline Wesnoth! (The King is Dead by West, and Love Theme by Ryan Reilly)

EDIT: fixed a few typos in TKID
Attachments
TKID-LoveTheme-XMLs.zip
XML files for both
(13.23 KiB) Downloaded 989 times
The_King_is_Dead.pdf
(56.51 KiB) Downloaded 967 times
Love_Theme.pdf
(44.71 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
Last edited by Inky on September 2nd, 2016, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Some more mainline Wesnoth pieces (as usual, no guarantees to their accuracy! Corrections welcome)

-Main theme by Aleksi - the very short main menu theme. If you're like me and often accidentally open Wesnoth when your volume is turned to maximum, I'm sure you'll agree that the dynamic marking at the beginning is 100% accurate ;)

-Over the Northern Mountains by West: This one's pretty long, though it's mostly just copy & paste. This has to be the happiest Wesnoth piece - I guess it's for those times when your army of level 3s is demolishing some pathetic level 1 enemies :twisted:

-Battle by Aleksi: This is by far my favorite piece in mainline Wesnoth! It's really complicated though...so far I've just written down the beginning (tried to, at least). EDIT: more complete version in this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44192&p=608875#p608875

EDIT: Fixed Main Theme measures 4 and 7-10.
Attachments
XML-files.zip
XML files for the above
(27.47 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
Main_Theme.pdf
(35.57 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
Over_the_Northern_Mountains.pdf
(85.89 KiB) Downloaded 940 times
Last edited by Inky on February 26th, 2017, 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
skeptical_troll

Haha, love the 6 'f' at the beginning of the main theme! :)
just two things: 4th measure I think the melody is D#-B-D# E;
measure 7-10, the upper part is an octave up

EDIT: Journey's end: mostly right, but measures 9-24 are transposed by a fourth up? It should be exactly like the ending (70-onwards).
this is a pedantic one: measures 49-50, marking G#-G-G# and B-Bb-B is a bit weird, it makes more sense to me to write G#-Fx-G# and B-A#-B

Will have a look at the other ones if I got time!
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Thanks for the corrections!
I've fixed all the above issues with Main theme and Journey's End (I also realized I wrote measures 34 & 42 of Journey's End an octave too low).
I also fixed a few typos in The King is Dead; hopefully I didn't introduce more typos in the process :D
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey everyone, been a while since I posted here. I fixed a few wrong notes in the middle section of Journey's End posted above (I should really go back and try to fix typos, I bet some of these posts have more typos than correct notes :P )

Anyway here are some more random pieces from mainline Wesnoth:

-Elvish theme by Doug Kaufman (just the beginning, plus a couple measures from the end tacked on)
-Nunc dimmitis by Jeremy Nicoll (just the beginning)
-Traveling minstrels by West (the melody only) EDIT: 4/12/2017: Samonella made a piano arrangement of Traveling Minstrels here!

Edit 2/11/2017: fixed some things in traveling minstrels mentioned two posts down. Thanks skeptical_troll for the corrections!
Attachments
XMLfiles.zip
(15.9 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
Traveling_Minstrels.pdf
melody only
(60.36 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
Elvish_Theme.pdf
(28.67 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
Nunc_Dimittis.pdf
(38.93 KiB) Downloaded 978 times
Last edited by Inky on April 13th, 2017, 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

And here's some pieces that aren't exactly from Wesnoth, just pieces by West I really like (I hope West is okay with me posting these; if not I'll remove them).

Isanbar Theme and Gol Ashamdir are from West's Chronicles, and both are used a lot in the addon Oath of Allegiance (which is a fun campaign I'd recommend!). They seem to fit the Khalifate/desert mood really well.

The Overture is from West's Waters of Redemption album which is pretty epic!
EDIT: removed this to prevent possible copyright infringement, but just wanted to say the album is awesome and I'd recommend giving it a listen.
Attachments
WestXMLfiles.zip
(19.91 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
Gol_Ashamdir.pdf
(47.63 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
Isanbar_Theme.pdf
(64.72 KiB) Downloaded 1022 times
Last edited by Inky on February 11th, 2017, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeptical_troll

Hi Inky, I took a quick look at the ones in your second-last post. I have just few corrections on 'travelin ministrels':

measure 44: I think that's a C natural

measure 67: there are few voices here, but the theme as I hear it is: (c# e a e) d b g# | -- (a d f# a) e | -- (c# e a e) d b e | a
similarly when it repeats. then at 90 I think it is f#. e d | c#
(apologies for the creative notation, I hope it's understandable)

upbeat of measure 107 and similar: I think this are quavers which start in the middle of the bar, not triplets.

It's great to have parts for the soundtrack, it's all cool music!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Even if relatively few people will end up using them (or so I'd assume), these are still the kind of thing that's really nice to have available. :!:
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

zookeeper: Thanks, I hope these are still useful to someone despite all the typos :)

skeptical_troll: Thanks for the corrections!!
skeptical_troll wrote:measure 44: I think that's a C natural
Oops (well, hey, I got the "C" part right :D )
skeptical_troll wrote:measure 67: there are few voices here, but the theme as I hear it is: (c# e a e) d b g# | -- (a d f# a) e | -- (c# e a e) d b e | a
similarly when it repeats. then at 90 I think it is f#. e d | c#
Hmm I think it's (c# e a e) d g# e | -- (a d f# a) e | -- (c# e a e) d g# e | a ?
And for measure 80, it still sounds to me like f#. e b | a :hmm: Maybe there is an instrument playing D C# there, but I think the one you hear the most is playing B A?

(Here's what I mean, in noncreative notation)
Screenshot.png
skeptical_troll wrote:upbeat of measure 107 and similar: I think this are quavers which start in the middle of the bar, not triplets.
I think the pickup to 107 is a triplet (you can hear the accompaniment playing on every beat, and it lines up with the first of the 3 notes), but all future instances should in fact be 8ths as you say.

Thanks a lot for looking at these, and I love your creative notation, I think we are on to a whole new method of notating music! :eng: