My new sountrack for Wesnoth

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FrancescoCorrado

My new sountrack for Wesnoth

Post by FrancescoCorrado »

Hello to all, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I started creating this work hoping that it will be a chance to put in the soundtrack of Wesnoth.
I love literally the soundtrack of the game and I was inspired a lot..
This is only a demo.. I just started it a few days ago tell me what you think!
I sacrified a little the kbps to make it lighter to upload..
Wesnoth.rar
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 826 times
Sire

Re: My new sountrack for Wesnoth

Post by Sire »

I don't know too much about the specifics of music - the jargon and the technicalities, but I'll offer my opinion anyway as a fan of video game soundtracks.

First off, I hope you read these three topics before you have started. While there does not seem to be an active "Lord of Music" anymore, their guidelines are still probably applicable to the modern-day Wesnoth. Also, listening to the mainline music already in Wesnoth is a good idea for get a feel for what to look for. (I personally love Doug Kaufman's work, and Mattias Westlund's pieces are probably the classic examples of a Wesnoth track. Of course, there are other great tracks as well.)

With that out of the way, here are my opinions.

Overall, I enjoyed the piece for being a demo. There was one moment that I really wish to be revised, but otherwise it seemed all right. I would also suggest adding a title and a few words about what feeling the composer wants to impart to the audience (unless one wants to wait for the reactions before explaining oneself).

0:00 - 0:47 (Buildup - I loved the buildup here. Probably the strongest point of this piece to me.)
0:47 - 1:00 (Transition - I feel like the "Transition" can repeat itself again and then immediately lead into Theme 1 instead of leaning on one note at the end.)
1:00 - 1:37 (Theme 1 - While I like the overall theme here, I feel like it can use a little more variety. How exactly to accomplish this, I have no idea.)
1:37 - 1:45 (I have no idea what the new sound is added in here, and forgive me for being blunt, but it was grating to my ears. I see the effect one is going for, but perhaps change it to a different instrument or sound?)
1:45 - 1:50 (Transition - A simple transition)
1:51 - 2:45 ("Theme 2" - Another theme that I enjoy, but due to the shorter nature of the piece, a part of me feels this is unnecessary [and I'm not hearing much similarities to Theme 1, but I may just not be hearing it]. Perhaps you can split off "Theme 2" and make a different piece of music out of it, while trying to build up Theme 1 some more. If one wants to keep both themes, then I guess one would have to make the overall piece longer and try to intertwine the two in some way.)
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Otengam

Post by Otengam »

I agree with Sire for all points. Theme 1 can definitely be repeated (with some variation?) instead of Theme 2 with Theme 2 being the main part of a different piece. The buildup and transitions are really good.

I know it's not original feedback but Sire really did get the main points down! I guess I'm replying to say I like it and it's been listened to too.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I have no idea what the new sound is added in here, and forgive me for being blunt, but it was grating to my ears. I see the effect one is going for, but perhaps change it to a different instrument or sound?
I agree, I'm unsure what you tried to achieve there. Did you try to make some kind of horn or trumpet sound?
Otherwise the rest of that piece sounds really nice and I enjoyed listening to it. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
FrancescoCorrado

First of all, thank you for the feedback, we really appreciated it (I'm writing the song with a friend of mine I forgot to write it).
Second, I will answer to the question of the "disturbing" sound in 1:37 - 1:45... It would be a brass ensemble (Or you mean the Cello that is playing the arpeggio?).. but now listening to it, I agree with you: It is pulsing so probably this is the reason why it disturbs. Probably we will change the sound with another instrument or delete it.
I Agree also on the leaning note at 1:00, it can start immediatly with the theme 1 and probably the transition can be repeated.
This is anyway only a demo, it means that the song will be longer and also for the theme 2 we have the idea to make the song longer and build up the second theme;anyway it is not bad idea to split the theme 2 and make another song.
Remember that I didn't work on EQs and I didn't make anything about sound; we only registered the instruments but we didn't work on the sound already.

We can't continue today our work due to my Keyboard that is repairing but Tomorrow we'll start to work on it, I hope someone else can feedback our work :lol:
We really enjoyed that you guys liked the work overall.. :)

*I forgot the fact of the words to describe the work.. We have to name the work it's true but personally this make me think about an imminent battle or a run-for-life of Knights that are reaching Wesnoth to save it from an attack by enemies..
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

I didn't find the sustain at 1:00 problematic; I thought it gave a very nice contrast, somewhat like when a film stops the music and plays in slow motion for some important event in a battle. I did find the 6 seconds or so of drum following to be overly repetitious though.
FrancescoCorrado wrote:I will answer to the question of the "disturbing" sound in 1:37 - 1:45... It would be a brass ensemble (Or you mean the Cello that is playing the arpeggio?).. but now listening to it, I agree with you: It is pulsing so probably this is the reason why it disturbs. Probably we will change the sound with another instrument or delete it.
Yes, it's the horn alarum that's a little bit grating.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

FrancescoCorrado, if this doesn't get included in mainline Wesnoth, would it be alright if I added it to the UMC Music add-ons?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
FrancescoCorrado

I hope that it will be added to the main soundtrack, if not ok to adding it to UMC content.
Actually our work goes on slower due to lack of time but we are working on it... I think that I need another month but i'd like that it will be added with new release of wesnoth 1.13
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i love the part from 00:0 to 00:18, it's one of the , but since then, the new instruments kinda disrupt the feeling from before.i guess i'll do an edit of it, with the previous sounds remaining intact.otherwise pretty good
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi FrancescoCorrado,

There isn't a lot of "Music Management" here these days, you may end up not getting much direction. Have you seen this?

http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=597261#p597261

You can probably get some more knowledgeable feedback there, and help if necessary. Then that can (probably) be used as a referral for non-musical developers here to consider, as far as including in BfW 1.13.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
FrancescoCorrado

First Thank you all for your interest,I know: I'm a bit evanescent these days but we did (I hope) the final version of the soundtrack. We're just making last editing before we'll start working on the sounds. Anyway we are going to post it when it will be finished to show you the progress and the final shape (I hope x2) of the song.
All your advices were useful.

Doofus-01, thank you for the link. I will investigate more on it :)