Volunteer for sound design

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

leorock116

Re: Volunteer for sound design

Post by leorock116 »

New clubs attached!
Attachments
club preview 2.zip
(45.47 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
Last edited by leorock116 on October 5th, 2015, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leorock116

Post by leorock116 »

Work with the losless versions, please, zookeeper. Here they come!
doofus-01 wrote:If you want to fly your flag, you can specify your location in the forum profile. Assuming "leorock116" is the nickname in the credits, there would at least be some connection.
Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good idea!
Zookeeper, can it be "Leonardo Magno Sampaio (leorock116)" then ?

Another question: How many creatures use the staff? Should it have a slight "magic" on the sound, or should it be strict physical? Or maybe we should have 2 or 3 different staffs, for different creatures?
Attachments
staff (6 choices).zip
(380.53 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Great, I'll put the mace sound in first thing tomorrow, and then work on the staff and club sounds.
leorock116 wrote:Zookeeper, can it be "Leonardo Magno Sampaio (leorock116)" then ?
Sure, I'll use that.
leorock116 wrote:Another question: How many creatures use the staff? Should it have a slight "magic" on the sound, or should it be strict physical? Or maybe we should have 2 or 3 different staffs, for different creatures?
It's mostly used by lots of magic users like mages, but not always. I think the sound should be strictly physical, because even when used by magic users it tends to be a weak secondary attack without any magical effects (there's a few exceptions, but not many). In any case, if we want a more magical-sounding one at some point, it'd be easy to just play both the normal staff sound and an extra magic sound.
leorock116

Post by leorock116 »

Ok then.

Another question: can we have different sounds when a weapon hits different creatures? For example, a club hitting a metal armor, another club hitting people with regular clothes, another one for a ring armor, another for aquatic creatures, etc.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

leorock116 wrote:Another question: can we have different sounds when a weapon hits different creatures? For example, a club hitting a metal armor, another club hitting people with regular clothes, another one for a ring armor, another for aquatic creatures, etc.
Not really. In theory, yes it could be done, but it'd be really complicated and require tons of sounds, so we've simply went with generic hit sounds which work reasonably well against everything.

If we ever wanted to do it (and I don't really see it happening), I think it should probably be done so that attack animations would only play the "swing" sound for each weapon, and the defending unit would play a different "hit" sound for each damage type (not weapon). That seems like the only way the number of sounds could be limited to a manageable amount. However, of course then a mace would sound pretty much the same as a staff or tentacle.
leorock116

Post by leorock116 »

The best way (sound speaking) would be:
1) Generic sound for each weapon
2) Specific sounds, when available, for each weapon hitting specific armor, or creature.

Would it require more programming? Or just more sounds?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I've now added the club and staff sounds too, in addition to the mace sound. I think these are pretty good. :D

I did end up doing the final club sounds based on the mp3 versions, because by the time I knew the material was good, I had already went through so many editing steps that I couldn't have reproduced them again. Maybe next time you could post the lossless versions first and skip the mp3's altogether? I know wav files can take up a lot of space, but at least Audacity can export flac files too, and those are much smaller.

EDIT: These new sounds haven't yet been wired in (or the existing animation timings adjusted in club.ogg's case), but I'll get to that.
leorock116 wrote:The best way (sound speaking) would be:
1) Generic sound for each weapon
2) Specific sounds, when available, for each weapon hitting specific armor, or creature.

Would it require more programming? Or just more sounds?
It would require a huge amount of sounds, and more programming too. Maybe in theory it could all be done in AnimationWML, but the necessary WML would be unacceptably messy and complicated. So, sadly, it's just not something that's going to happen.
leorock116

Post by leorock116 »

No problem. Anyway, it would be nice to know better Wesnoth's sound architecture. I'm also a programmer (but not a good one) and I have special interest on interaction between sound and game. Now that you gave me the clue, I'll do some research on AnimationWML. I would ask for a tutorial but just found a guide, so I will stick it here to the next interested person who reads it: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/AnimationWML

About the mermen, I'm thinking of start the sound with a somewhat human scream, but then integrate someway with water sound, as if the mermen bodies were filled with water. I will keep trying to morph with vocoder, convolution and modulations. If you have reference sounds, please show me.
zookeeper wrote:Maybe next time you could post the lossless versions first and skip the mp3's altogether? I know wav files can take up a lot of space, but at least Audacity can export flac files too, and those are much smaller.
I just realize these kind of sound effects are very short, so they are light by nature. I will send just lossless versions from now on. I'm working with Reaper DAW at the moment, and it supports FLAC too.

What are other sounds needed at the moment?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

leorock116 wrote:No problem. Anyway, it would be nice to know better Wesnoth's sound architecture. I'm also a programmer (but not a good one) and I have special interest on interaction between sound and game. Now that you gave me the clue, I'll do some research on AnimationWML. I would ask for a tutorial but just found a guide, so I will stick it here to the next interested person who reads it: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/AnimationWML
As far as animations go, that page will contain all there is to it. Basically, you can easily play sounds pretty much whenever you want (as long as it happens as part of an animation), but branching gets really ackward really fast, for example if you need to select one of many possible sounds depending on what the opponent is.
leorock116 wrote:About the mermen, I'm thinking of start the sound with a somewhat human scream, but then integrate someway with water sound, as if the mermen bodies were filled with water. I will keep trying to morph with vocoder, convolution and modulations. If you have reference sounds, please show me.
I don't really have much references as such. If it helps, then here is one of my earlier attempts at a die sound which I never managed to finish; the idea was to combine some water sounds with a gasp for air and a dolphin sound. However, I never managed to really mix them together in a good way, so it pretty much just sounds like 3 different sounds playing simultaneously (and especially the chatter still sounds too much like a dolphin).

If you're going to record the human scream parts yourself, then remember that it'd be good if they were more like generic groans and moans as opposed to vocalizations in a recognizable voice, and that we need both male and female versions (however, those can likely be made by pitch-shifting).
leorock116 wrote:What are other sounds needed at the moment?
Mostly the ones I mentioned on the first page:
- Better entangle and thorns sounds (for the Elvish Shaman line).
- A sound for the faerie touch attack (Elvish Shyde/Sylph, maybe Mermaid Siren).
- Better sounds for melee tentacles (Tentacle of the Deep, Cuttlefish).
- Unique sounds for the baneblade (Wraith/Spectre).
- Better wail sounds (Ghost, Wraith/Spectre).
But maybe I can add a new other candidates:

- A "curse" magic sound (Orcish Shamans in SotBE, Saurian Augur line, Vampire Lady in TRoW).
- Giant Rat hit and die sounds; it's probably best to just find the material for these online, though.
leorock116

Post by leorock116 »

Hi. It's been a while since I last came here. I'm sorry. The reason is because I've been too busy in the last days. But don't worry, I won't quit!