Change title screen music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What song should play on the main menu?

Main Menu (No change)
40%
Journey's End
28%
Wanderer
13%
Transience
20%

Total votes: 40

Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Re: Change title screen music

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I think that if there's no conclusive winner it should just stay as it is before the poll started. Also, 25 doesn't sound like many. I'm probably remembering wrong but were the forums this small in the past?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

A common thing on websites that have music is a little checkbox to disable music. Having a checkbox in the main launch screen that would remember the preference seems like a good solution.

I also don't get why power users simply don't delete the offending music file from their build
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Reset the poll with the top voted from the last run. After this I say we just take whatever the one with the most votes is, close or not.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

You know, would it hurt if there was a little more visibility here for things like this? Announcements? Users forum?

I’m not sure regulars even routinely look at the Music & Sound Development sub-forum. This isn’t something that only touches a few people — it affects virtually every user.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It would probably be a good idea.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I just had an idea - could there be an option in the preferences to choose which main menu song you would prefer?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote:I just had an idea - could there be an option in the preferences to choose which main menu song you would prefer?
No, that's a case of Options Are Bad. If the user REALLY wants to change it, they can do so in the game's config files in the install directory.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

vultraz wrote:
Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote:I just had an idea - could there be an option in the preferences to choose which main menu song you would prefer?
No, that's a case of Options Are Bad. If the user REALLY wants to change it, they can do so in the game's config files in the install directory.
How would one go about doing that? I just want to know so if it is changed I can change it back on my Wesnoth.

Also, why are options bad?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

The file is data/game_config.cfg.

As for options, they're bad when they A. have almost no practical gain and B. create so many user-based variables that it becomes a pain to allow for every contingency. B doesn't really apply in this case, but A does.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I'd argue there is gain. Opinion is very split on what music to play, so why not leave it up to the user?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

In general, the more options you fork out to the users, the less control the developers have over the experience of the product. Wesnoth is over-burdened by options as it is, way more than an average user needs, so I'm against adding any more.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I did not know what Journey's End and Transience were, I am just against current one, so last time I chose wanderer as the only one I knew and didnt hate.

Checked these other 2 now and Journey's End seems even better for this purpose(beginning is quiet so it shouldnt annoy overly), Transience didnt seem distinctive enough.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

vultraz wrote:In general, the more options you fork out to the users, the less control the developers have over the experience of the product. Wesnoth is over-burdened by options as it is, way more than an average user needs, so I'm against adding any more.
My fear is the music gets changed, but then people begin to dislike the new song. Why?
  • It always starts over when you go to the main menu
  • It always starts over when you exit even one dialog while in the main menu
  • It can’t be turned off unless you turn off all the music
  • You cannot turn the music off or mute it via a hot key when in the main menu
  • There is no setting to play music in-game but not play music in the main menu
New song, same old problems.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ancestral wrote:
vultraz wrote:In general, the more options you fork out to the users, the less control the developers have over the experience of the product. Wesnoth is over-burdened by options as it is, way more than an average user needs, so I'm against adding any more.
My fear is the music gets changed, but then people begin to dislike the new song. Why?
  • It always starts over when you go to the main menu
  • It always starts over when you exit even one dialog while in the main menu
  • It can’t be turned off unless you turn off all the music
  • You cannot turn the music off or mute it via a hot key when in the main menu
  • There is no setting to play music in-game but not play music in the main menu
New song, same old problems.
That's why Transience is a good choice. It was written by a pro for the title-screen, it's decent but not striking, and it isn't used much elsewhere. Similar argument could be made for Journeys End, though I don't think it was written for the main screen. This is what I found for mainline campaigns' usage of Journey's End, Transience, and Wanderer:

Code: Select all

#####@####/usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/campaigns> grep transience.ogg */*/*.cfg
Delfadors_Memoirs/scenarios/06_Swamps_of_Illuven.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC transience.ogg}
Delfadors_Memoirs/scenarios/16_Dark_Sky_Over_Weldyn.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC transience.ogg}
The_Hammer_of_Thursagan/scenarios/11_The_Court_of_Karrag.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "transience.ogg"}
Two_Brothers/scenarios/01_Rooting_Out_a_Mage.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC legends_of_the_north.ogg transience.ogg}
Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios/03_Stirring_in_the_Night.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC "transience.ogg" "the_deep_path.ogg"}
######@######/usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/campaigns> grep journeys_end.ogg */*/*.cfg
Eastern_Invasion/scenarios/08_Training_the_Ogres.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC journeys_end.ogg}
Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios/13_Epilogue.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "journeys_end.ogg"}
######@######:/usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/campaigns> grep wanderer.ogg */*/*.cfg
An_Orcish_Incursion/scenarios/01_Defend_the_Forest.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
An_Orcish_Incursion/scenarios/04_Valley_of_Trolls.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
An_Orcish_Incursion/scenarios/05_Linaera_the_Quick.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg knolls.ogg}
Dead_Water/scenarios/13_Epilogue.cfg:            name=wanderer.ogg
Delfadors_Memoirs/scenarios/03_The_Road_to_Weldyn.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg} # No story text, so no intro music
Delfadors_Memoirs/scenarios/13_The_Return_of_Trouble.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Delfadors_Memoirs/scenarios/17_A_New_Ally.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg knalgan_theme.ogg}
Descent_Into_Darkness/scenarios/02_Peaceful_Valley.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg elvish-theme.ogg}
Descent_Into_Darkness/scenarios/07_A_Small_Favor.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Eastern_Invasion/scenarios/03_An_Unexpected_Appearance.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Eastern_Invasion/scenarios/06_Two_Paths.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC elvish-theme.ogg wanderer.ogg}
Heir_To_The_Throne/scenarios/03_The_Isle_of_Alduin.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Heir_To_The_Throne/scenarios/05a_Muff_Malal_Peninsula.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Heir_To_The_Throne/scenarios/05b_Isle_of_the_Damned.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Heir_To_The_Throne/scenarios/07_Crossroads.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Heir_To_The_Throne/scenarios/10_Gryphon_Mountain.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Heir_To_The_Throne/scenarios/12_Northern_Winter.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Heir_To_The_Throne/scenarios/19c_Cliffs_of_Thoria.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Liberty/scenarios/03_A_Strategy_Of_Hope.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Liberty/scenarios/05_Hide_and_Seek.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg underground.ogg}
Liberty/scenarios/07_The_Hunters.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/03_To_the_Mines.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC "traveling_minstrels.ogg" "wanderer.ogg"}
Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/06a_Old_Friend.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Sceptre_of_Fire/scenarios/3_Searching_for_the_Runecrafter.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/scenarios/07_The_Desert_of_Death.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/scenarios/15_Civil_War.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
The_Hammer_of_Thursagan/scenarios/04_Troll_Bridge.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/04a_The_Swamp_of_Esten.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/04b_The_Midlands.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/13_Peoples_in_Decline.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/14_Rough_Landing.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/15_A_New_Land.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/17a_The_Dragon.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_South_Guard/scenarios/03_A_Desparate_Errand.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_South_Guard/scenarios/06a_Tidings_Good_and_Ill.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
The_South_Guard/scenarios/08a_Return_to_Kerlath.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Two_Brothers/scenarios/02_The_Chase.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Two_Brothers/scenarios/05_Epilogue.cfg:    {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC wanderer.ogg}
Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios/02_Across_the_Harsh_Sands.cfg:    {INTRO_AND_SCENARIO_MUSIC "knolls.ogg" "wanderer.ogg"}
Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios/11_Battle_for_Zocthanol_Isle.cfg:    {SCENARIO_MUSIC "wanderer.ogg"}
At the end of the day, I just think it would be a mistake if Wanderer were made the title-screen music. Any of the other options would be OK.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

For me transience sound like 'game over, you have been defeated'. I went with journey's end.