Change title screen music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What song should play on the main menu?

Main Menu (No change)
40%
Journey's End
28%
Wanderer
13%
Transience
20%

Total votes: 40

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Change title screen music

Post by ancestral »

I love all of these over main_menu.ogg (which, hmm… might need a rename soon…)

You know, revelation.ogg is similar in its ambience to transience.ogg except slightly less “sad” — perhaps that deserves nomination? (However, if I were voting, I’d be voting for one or two of the others already being put forth by Pentarctagon.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Surprisingly enough, I went with transience. Not because I think it is a better song than the others, but for reasons similar to what monochromatic said, I think it fits this particular role the best. This isn't about showcasing a sweet tune.
EDIT of EDIT : Nevermind, zookeeper just said what I was going to say.
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 10th, 2015, 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'll go with transcience, partly because it's a steady, neutral track tone-wise, but also because it's practically only used in story screens; hearing the title theme in-game usually implies that there's something important or pivotal going on, so any uses of that track as gameplay music in campaigns would likely instantly catch your attention.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

IMO, the soundtrack should be battle music.
The opening 'Main Menu' music is very good... I just heard it too often.
My vote: Battle Epic.
It sounds... well, epic, heroic, mystic and somehow touching – all in all inspiring.
Personally, I would think it splendid, if it was even possible to enhance it with some vocals and sound effects
such as roaring warriors, battle sounds, whinnying horse, someone screaming 'For the honor of Wesnoth'... :)
That way it would differ from the 'normal' track used during the game.
As an example of what I mean:'Knights of Honor' (by Glorian)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _RzHMIXu0E)
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

What about looking to some non-mainline music? East Meets West is a nice song, it's not depressing or slow but exciting. Do you want players to open the game and be sad, or get psyched to play? Also, it would be weird to hear the intro song during gameplay, unless it is when a campaign gets won or some other special occasion.

But I digress, continue choosing.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

zookeeper wrote:I'll go with transcience, partly because it's a steady, neutral track tone-wise, but also because it's practically only used in story screens; hearing the title theme in-game usually implies that there's something important or pivotal going on, so any uses of that track as gameplay music in campaigns would likely instantly catch your attention.
Perhaps Transcience is too neutral, tone-wise? I'm a bit worried that most players will not recognise it within a campaign.. it's perhaps too nondescript to my ears. The image that comes to my head when listening to Transcience is time passing, rather than something inciting a bit more energy or emotion.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Transience is too sad. Wanderer is the best; it displays the mystery and grandness of Wesnoth in one song.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Crow_T wrote:What about looking to some non-mainline music? East Meets West is a nice song, it's not depressing or slow but exciting. Do you want players to open the game and be sad, or get psyched to play? Also, it would be weird to hear the intro song during gameplay, unless it is when a campaign gets won or some other special occasion.

But I digress, continue choosing.
Personally I'd have no problem with non-mainline songs, and even have a couple I'd suggest, but it raises a couple issues like "does it meet Wesnoth's quality standards?" and contacting the composer of the song. Also I'd have to reset the poll again to add new options.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

monochromatic wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I'll go with transcience, partly because it's a steady, neutral track tone-wise, but also because it's practically only used in story screens; hearing the title theme in-game usually implies that there's something important or pivotal going on, so any uses of that track as gameplay music in campaigns would likely instantly catch your attention.
Perhaps Transcience is too neutral, tone-wise? I'm a bit worried that most players will not recognise it within a campaign.. it's perhaps too nondescript to my ears. The image that comes to my head when listening to Transcience is time passing, rather than something inciting a bit more energy or emotion.
I think that's the point, that's why it's a good choice.
Theo wrote:Transience is too sad. Wanderer is the best; it displays the mystery and grandness of Wesnoth in one song.
And since wanderer.ogg is used a lot, it is a really poor choice, assuming the "familiarity/emphasis" thing is valid. (I think it's valid.)

This isn't a beauty contest, imagine you are going to hear this song in little 5-10 second snippets every time you fire up the program.
(I'll piss of now, not trying to be a title-screen-music activist.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I have a question- is the issue with the current opening music mostly with devs/UMC devs who get subjected with it every time they F5? I can see how it could be annoying then (I recall Fabi mentioning this a while back). An option in the sound preferences to disable opening music would be the best decision in the long run. :hmm:
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Being the one that pushed it in core, I voted for Battle Epic. Although my proposed solution is another one: we do have a preferences file, right? Then just add another key there, like main_music= . So everyone will be able to change the title screen music by using just a text editor :) .
By the way, I was thinking that we could also add another track to the core: Triumph by jeremy2. I think that it'll be perfect for Northern Rebirth's epilogue - especially when one manages to keep alive all the loyal units and allied leaders.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Although my proposed solution is another one: we do have a preferences file, right? Then just add another key there, like main_music= . So everyone will be able to change the title screen music by using just a text editor :) .
Adding hidden niche settings like this is just an open invitation for somebody to inadvertently or even intentionally break them later (and I wouldn’t blame them).

Has anyone considered my proposal at all?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

What I am getting from this thread is the want to not have loud or jarring music in the menu — not necessarily different music, just not it blaring and starting over again all the time.

Maybe the OP (lipk) would be fine with the option to simply turn off the main menu music — whatever it may be.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

shadowm wrote:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Although my proposed solution is another one: we do have a preferences file, right? Then just add another key there, like main_music= . So everyone will be able to change the title screen music by using just a text editor :) .
Adding hidden niche settings like this is just an open invitation for somebody to inadvertently or even intentionally break them later (and I wouldn’t blame them).

Has anyone considered my proposal at all?
I think it would be better to have changing the DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST macro in it's own thread, since it's a different from what song plays first on loading.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It’s not about changing DMP itself, it’s about choosing a new playlist for the titlescreen (and by extension, the map editor) alone.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.